Alyssa-Admin, your procedure

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jkennedy, Mar 14, 2015.

1. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

Hi, @Alyssa-Admin. Did you have your lap band adjusted? I seem to remember it was scheduled for around this time. I hope it went well and that it's easier for you to keep food down now.
  2. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

Aww thanks for remembering @jkennedy ! Yes, it was done on Thursday. Thursday morning I was reading how people with the band have had to have up to 10 adjustments to get it just right - Well, here it costs over £100 an adjustment...or wait (like I did) for 9 months to get it done for free on the NHS.

AND I CAN EAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Protein!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am trying to keep my portions small...except, erm, my husband bought a banoffee pie (I know in America this isn't popular...but OMG! graham cracker crust with a layer of dulce de leche and bananas and topped with whipped cream and caramel...We couldn't get it out of the just brought the container upstairs and two spoons. After our splurge I read that it was supposed to serve 6! (Well, 6 smurfs possibly, definitely not people).

No more belching and running to the bathroom. I can't wait to go out for a nice meal sometime soon so we can BOTH enjoy it!

In saying all of this, I was really stressed out...the last few times I have had an adjustment, it has taken a lot of jabs to find the port - each time they try to suck, and it is a horrible experience. So my lovely husband came in with me and I held his hand (which I apparently crushed, prior to them even starting to procedure!!! oooops).

So, by that night I went into a flare up...Due to all my muscles being so tense!!!! But I had a lovely cheese omelette and some Caesar salad that night for dinner and it all went down............and stayed there! WOOOO HOOOO!

Thanks again for thinking of me. I hope that you had a good, pain free weekend.

3. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Alyssa --

You have a great sense of humor!!!!

"6 smurfs" -- LOL LOL LOL

I googled your pie. Yep, it would be one or two servings, definitely not SIX!!!!! :) Looks delicious.

I'm smiling about your hubby holding your hand. I had dental surgery recently, two rounds, needed full anesthesia for both. The first time, I was holding my hubby's hand -- right before the needle. And apparently I went under, and wouldn't give up the grip!!!! LOL Took four of them to pry my hand from my hubby.

When I went in the second time, I got a lot of kidding and teasing. :) I let go more easily. But I kept talking, just muttering: Am I talking? Am I talking? LOL

Glad the stress is over for you. I hope your pain continues to lessen, and that you enjoy more and more foods.

Let us know where you and hubby go out to eat! And, of course, what you eat! :D

Hugs, Diane
  4. Alyssa-Admin

@ConfusedInPA Hi Diane!

We had homemade burgers that I made yesterday and marinated in about 15 things with loads of garlic. A salad with romaine, heirloom baby tomatoes, cuke, peppers, avocado. The burger was fried and topped with streaky smoked bacon and Maasdaam cheese melted.

Homemade Caesar salad dressing. We're doing low carb higher fat as it's the only diet that works for us.

And it all went down. I said to Dave, 'that's the first time I haven't belched my way through a meal or run to the loo on around 8 yrs...

Only thing is... Yesterday, in a flare up, 20 eggs that needed to be used I went overboard and used two of them. To make a banana cake. With holes puncturing the warm cake and caramel poured over the warm cake to sink in. But that wasn't enough... I was playing and having fun... And divided the cake in half (horizontally) and made a banana cinnamon mocha frosting and filled the cakes and topped it with around an inch more of frosting.

I sent it to work with hubby, and someone else also brought a cake... And several were dieting, so now the thing is sitting on my counter. Calling my name.

I'm 44 and have battled with my weight all my adult life. My 'deal' to myself is I asked to be booked in for a follow up appointment in September to see how in doing.

I thought there would be more restriction... The big question will be bread... And whether I can eat it (not that I should be anyways!).

Sorry. Rambling. My middle name.
  5. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

@Alyssa-Admin, I'm so glad the procedure went well and that you can eat better now! You must be so relieved.

I would not be able to have sweets in the house. I pretty much got rid of my sweet tooth by going cold turkey some years ago, but I can't be around them at home. Don't invite the enemy into your home is my adage.

It's no problem, really. My husband has zero sweet tooth. However, I've warned him never to buy Girl Scout cookies again unless he takes them to work immediately. I have the same rule for Halloween candy. (Our road has no streetlights or sidewalks, so we don't get trick-or-treaters.)

I do allow myself 1/2 oz of super dark chocolate a day, but the flavor is so intense that I don't crave more. I let it slowly dissolve in my mouth.

I crave savory carbs more than sweet. I love things like pizza and popcorn. I now go many months at a time without indulging.

That said, I'm going to meet my 3 best friends in Philadelphia in May, and I've told my friend who lives there that I want pizza, really spectacular pizza. There's a large Italian population there, so great pizza is abundant.

I've had some pizzas with gluten-free crusts, but they are just horrid! I'd rather do without. But once a year or so, I'm going to indulge in the real thing and then go back to my regular healthy way of eating.

When you are craving sweets, this is a good thing to try. It's adapted from Dr. Perlmutter's idea of a knockoff on cereal.

1. Combine 1/4 C of lightly crushed nuts with 1/4 C of toasted coconut flakes.
    2. Pour a little milk over it and your choice of low-carb sweetener. I like Xylitol from birch.

Enjoy your new freedom!
  6. Alyssa-Admin

That's a good idea!

What I have been doing...and it is almost like cookie dough...I whip coconut oil with salted, sugar free crunchy peanut butter, add some flax cereal that has goji berries, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds (all finely ground - not chunks), my banana flavoured whey protein powder, some coconut and some cocoa powder - I have banana flavoured sweetener liquid....I whip it all up and then use my baby ice cream scoop and make little half balls...put them on parchment paper in layers in a container in the fridge. Full of protein, good fats, flavour and filling, too!!!!!
  7. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

Mmmm, that does sound good.
  8. Alyssa-Admin

They actual taste like raw peanut butter cookie dough! When I buy some good 85% chocolate and chop some up and put it in there as well...