Am I a sucker? Was this a coincidence?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Aug 26, 2006.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

My son and his girlfriend and I were walking back to our hotel tonight and a lady stopped us. She was shaking and looked very scared. She said she was trying to find a pawn shop but it was closed and she needed bus fare for her and her children to go to a shelter because her husband beat her. I gave her some money. She offered me her ring. If she was acting, she was darn good. If there was the slightest possibility she was telling the truth, I wanted to help her. My son said I shouldn't have given her the money. Here's what happened next.

I went to the drug store and started looking at vitamins. Another lady was looking too and I helped her find something. Somehow we started talking and she has Fibro too. She said she has almost cured herself. I gave her my e-mail and she told me she would e-mail with what she has tried and what has worked for her.

If I would have ignored the lady that asked for money and not have stopped long enough to talk to her and give her the money, I wouldn't have met this lady. Is this a coincidence or?.... Would you have given the lady the money? Was this a little intervention.

I'll share what the lady sends me.
  2. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

You know, i would rather error on the soft side, then be left wondering if she really need help and i didn't listen.

You listened too your heart, and if she did con you, then that's on her conscions (mind), I think it's really neat you met the other lady!

Keep us posted on anything you learn.
  3. pamj

pamj New Member

I believe that everything happens for a reason. I would have definitely helped her too. Maybe she was lying, but it's not worth the risk to doubt her.

If you feel that you did the right thing, then it was right. If her story is true, then you helped her feel that she is doing the right thing too, and she won't forget you.

If you feel that it led you to another positive experience, then maybe it did happen for a reason.

You are not a sucker... you are a caring person with an open heart.

big hugs,
    Pam

4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am with you, I normally always help someone who asks. I cannot judge anyone else or their circumstance.

I have also had very strange things happen when I help others.
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I just do not give money
    Ill make phone calls ,buy some food and give it to someone
    but I never give money too many scams out there

calling and paying for a cab would have been nice but hey dont kick your self who knows if she was for real

as for the lady with fibo there are more of us then anyone knows.Be careful about that to specially if she tries to sell you something or come to your home to soon.
  6. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

She could of been one of those angels placed in just the right spot at just the right time...and you could of been her angel placed in just the right place at just the right time..

Tami
  7. Loveyame

Loveyame New Member

No you are not a sucker.

My dad use to tell me to listen to my gut it would not lead me astray. I think what you did was a good thing. God puts people in our path that need help, will help, or that are a test of what God is wanting us to learn. You might have been God's angel for that lady!!!!! Love and Peace to you!
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

The same thing happened to me at the beginning of the summer.

A woman with a teenage son stopped me in a parking lot and told me she was looking for a shelter that she fled DC and someone was beating her, and could I give her money.

I normally don't do this, but I told her I didn't have cash on me.

I then called the police, because I suspected this was some kind of scam

I will feel really bad if I find out this was for real
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

If you'd have given her your life savings, you might be able to call yourself a sucker but in this case you did what your heart told you to do. Maybe it was a scam but what harm did it do if you could afford to do it and it set a possible good situation in motion?

Meanwhile, I have this swampland ........ Just kidding.

Marta
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

You have a good heart and that brought a reward for you. God bless you. It does not really matter if you were part of a scam as goodness brings goodness.

Let us all know the cure will you!!!?

Love Anne
  11. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

the quote from the bible that says something about doing something for the least of my brethern. I know I'm really messing it up. The more I thought about it, the more I thought she may have been telling the truth.
  12. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

If I see someone and I believe they are truely in need, I will try to help.

One night after being out at a bar with my friends a man was holding a convienient store door for people and just looking for small change. I could tell deep down that it was not a scam.

Anyways, I have him a few dollars which was all i had to spare. When I walked out the door he was there with a rose in his hand. He had snuck in and bought a rose at the counter for being so kind to him. I really wish he had kept the money for himself, but I was very touched by the jesture.

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  13. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

In your heart if you felt you did the right thing than that matters. If it was a lie then the person you gave the money to will have to answer to a higher authority some day.

I was in a similar situation once and was told later that once the money leaves our hand and goes to the other person, they will answer for what they do with it.

Coincidence, no I do not believe in them. I believe the Lord does things and puts us in situations for a purpose. I agree that one would not have happened without the other.
  14. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I think you made the right decision whether it led you to a positive experience or not. I don't think it's my place to judge what a person is going to do with the money that I might give them.

You know that saying "there, but for the grace of God, go I". I try to remember those words.

Lolalee
  15. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I know that there are bad people out there that do scam us. On two seperate occasions, I had men approach me with a sob story - which was long and detailed so I doubted it - however I felt pressured to give them money because it was on my stret near my apartment and there was no one around in case they were going to pull a knife or a gun on me...I hate thinking that way but living in Chicago is like that. This was broad daylight but I gave them each $5 at the time.

I hate being so judgemental & cynical. It is so hard to pass up all of the people begging for money just in the two block radius of my building downtown. I know that they might be good people experiencing bad luck. The women with babies are so hard to pass by but there is plenty of help around - through shelters, selling Steet Wise, through government assistance programs, and others.

And harsh as this may sound - there are numerous people standing in the same spot day after day begging - why aren't they at least working at a fast food joint since they are treating the begging as a job - same time, same place day after day.

Ok - I am off on a rant and almost just deleted this post since I am sure it will raise some disagreement with some people. But before you judge me know that I cross paths with 10 - 15 'beggars' a day in the city. And I do much charity work and donations. I think by following my gut is the right thing!