Am I avoidant?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Gothic_Valkyrie, May 8, 2003.

1. Gothic_Valkyrie

Gothic_Valkyrie New Member

I've been reading up on avoidant personality disorder, and also dependent and schizotypal. I have a few of the signs of schizotypal, but everything I have read abouit avoidant seems to fit me perfectly. I am very shy, have horrible self esteem even though I am very smart, do well in school (I'm 20 in college), I'm great at sports, etc... I am deathly afraid of people calling me ugly or fat (like all my peers did in junior high) and I hate talking to people, of the opposite sex especially. I want to have friends and close relationships, but I am too afraid to let people get to know the real me. My boyfriend of three years recently broke up with me, and I don't know how to handle it. I have never been this depressed before, even when my mother passed away, it seems like I hold on to all my negative emotions and when something else bad happens I feel the shock of EVERY bad emotion in my whole life.... If anyone has some links to info or knows of a therapist in the south eastern area of Virginia famimliar with this disorder please let me know. (jaminator18@yahoo.com)
    Thanks so much, Jamie.
  2. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

You didn't mention whether you have FMor CFIDS ?? The reason I ask is because these illnesses tend to cause most of us somesort of upset of the emotional/mental balance.
    Including but not limited to: depression of varying degrees, low self-esteem, anxiety, fears of crowds, etc.
    How long has it been since your mother passed away? Do you have any family? The suggestion above of checking with your county's mental health agency for referral is a good one.
    Please try not to come to any conclusions on your own, though as there are far too many variables, ok? Keep us posted on how you are doing.

love, Rebel
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sometimes people get on this board by mistake unless you have FMS or CFIDS.

Love, Mikie
  4. Gothic_Valkyrie

Gothic_Valkyrie New Member

oh goodness, I did post on the wrong board, I have no idea how I got here, lol. Thanks for all your helpfulness though, it is very appreciated:D