am I being too paranoid about germs... dr office?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Sep 23, 2009.

1. I got a b12 mo injection today. there was a new gal there and she opened a bandaid right away to put on afterwards. The problem was she took the tape off and stuck it on HER arm first, gave me the injiection and stuck it on my arm. I was shocked and didnt say a word but took it off as soon as I walked out. I mean I had a small open spot from the needle! My husband said I am too paranoid, but I said it wasn't right , especially now days with the flu,etc.

when I got in the car I immediately used hand sanitizer on the spot. Am I too paranoid, whats your opinion?
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

I am the same way - I had to laugh when I read your post because I went for just a check up today and paranoid about the flu

The waiting room was full, so I told the receptionist "here is my cell phone number, call me when he is ready for me" and I waited in the hallway - for 1 hour!

Then, after being in his office for 1/2 hour, nurse came in to take blood, and at that point I was so tired that I didn't even notice the nurse that drew the blood did NOT have gloves on!!!

3. jole

jole Member

Where were these nurses trained? I was a nurse for years, and I have noticed that they tend to be more lax in the doctor's office than in a hospital setting, but I never could understand why. The same rules apply.........

And no, I don't think you're being out of line, if that's what makes you feel comfortable. We all have to take as much responsibility for our health/safety as we can.

When my kids were little, our doc office had an atrium. I never sat in the waiting room with them. I always signed in and told them we'd be upstairs when it was our turn. They never said anything, and always came to get us when it was time. But then that was a few years ago.....
  4. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, fibro.

Having just had to care for one of my sons who got an MRSA Staph infection from who knows where, I don't think you are paranoid at all. Recent studies have found MRSA Staph in lots of places, not just in hospital settings any more. If a person has an open wound in their skin, and these bacteria are able to get into it, it's not fun.

Best regards,