Am I crazy or what? Got very disoriented today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aquabugs, Mar 26, 2006.

1. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

I needed to shop for groceries today so hubby and I went to the local Walmart SuperCenter. I've had a bad couple of weeks with the fatigue but this morning, felt like I wouldn't crash if I went out to do the shopping.

I was feeling not too bad and was enjoying looking around in the garden center there. As soon as we got into the store, I began to feel bad. It began as a mild queasiness and stomach cramping a bit. I ended up rushing to the restroom from the cramping. Before I knew it, I was dizzy and began to feel more disoriented the longer we were in the store.

I've read that the fluorescent lights make some people sick. I've noticed feeling poorly before when I go into stores, usually I get suddenly exhausted or end up with a migraine. Today was different and it hit me suddenly and hard.

Does the way I felt today sound familiar to anyone? I went from feeling fairly decent (FMS pain and fatigue aside) to feeling really terrible just in a matter of minutes.

The longer I stayed in the store, the more strange I felt. I kept forgetting what I was looking for or could not remember what item I needed to mark off my list. If I turned, I'd get extremely dizzy and have to hold onto the cart to keep from falling. My husband was really getting worried about me. He wanted to leave, but I insisted we finish so I would not have to go back tomorrow.

I had to drive home because I was feeling like I would get really carsick from the vertigo. Once we were out of the store, I did begin to feel better. My stomach settled and the cramping went away. The dizziness settled into an annoying vertigo that is still with me this evening.

I feel like I am losing my mind. Can all this crazy stuff be from the fibro? Or is it all in my head???

Take care
    Sylvia
    lutenashley likes this.
  2. momwinterwhite

momwinterwhite New Member

I have had this exact same experiance several times.
    you are not crazy .I mean I was even at the wallmart
    befire when I got suddenly weak and running to the
    bathroom then just had to find a chair somewhere and wait on my husband to find me. This was right after we got there
    usually go home without what we went for.
    Best wishes Momwinterwhite
  3. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

This has happened to me in stores. I do much better if I can go at a time when the store is not full of people. I guess it is less to disorient me.
  4. CinCA

CinCA New Member

Although for me, it's sensory overload, and I usually have to fight the urge to just run out of there and I don't get the dizzy spells, thankfully. But I do get the almost "out of body" sensation, definitely feeling like I AM losing it, although now I know it's more my body trying to shut out the stimuli when it gets to be too much.

I also try to limit going shopping, etc. to quieter times, like midday if I can, and I try to go as few times as possible. Sometimes I can get hubby to pick stuff up after work if I'm lucky. In general I avoid a lot of social occasions, too, as they are just too draining for me these days. And there are some days I can handle stuff and some days it's all I can do to drive my 4 y.o. daughter to school (usually very late) and get back home. I don't think you're crazy, although I can certainly see how you feel like you may be...think we all have been there (or at least I have)!

Good luck, and I hope you are feeling better today, Sylvia.
    C.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/26/2006]
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

I sure can relate..I think I have wal-mart phobia..The same thing has happened to me and haven't a clue why.

Once I got in there and was in the back and didn't think I could make it to the front to get out and find my car and get home I did manage but it was a frightening experience.

I don't know why this happens unless its a combination of the lights,noise, chemicals etc. I have to pay more and go to smaller grocery stores..I don't think I could make it at a mall..Haven't been to one in 5 years..

Can't help but sure can relate,
    greatgran
  6. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

My goodness that sounds awful.

Does the outdoors bother you the same way?

Sunlight can make some sick.

I get real sick if I work outside in the sun.

Never noticed if the lights in stores make me ill.I feel so sick here latley but I will keep an eye at for that.Glad you brought this up.

I do seem to stay in a for this last month or so.

Do you feel off balance too?I do.

I hope you are doing better.

Maybe nexttime wear sunglasses in the stores.Everyone will think you are a celebrity.Maybe a hat would help too.

take care,
    Sheila
  7. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

Thank you all for your replies. I do feel better this morning. The vertigo is gone, thank goodness.

I do get sick when I work out in the sun in the summer. I was working in an environmental job doing stream and lake sampling for several years before I had to quit. For the last two summers, I would get extremely ill on the days I had to be out in the field. Now, I try to limit my time outdoors during the most intense sunshine. I love to garden, but when the sun is really bright, I get extremely queasy, etc and have to go in. Sure do hate these DD!

I guess shopping even when I feel like it is another of the things I will have to modify to live with this disease. And that's the only time I ever leave the house these days, not counting doctors' visits of course.

Ah well, such are our lives, huh?

Better days to you all
    Sylvia
  8. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Its the clue that they use to install there carpets.

We lost alot of associates at a store set.They would get sick from the oder.So they would have to leave.

Not just Wal-Mart. Most stores with carpeting any where use it.Loaded with chemicals.

Sue
  9. sally2142

sally2142 New Member

I'VE ONLY BEEN CHECKING OUT THIS WEB SITE FOR TWO WEEKS, BUT IT SURE HELPS ME!!!! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT HAD EXPERIENCES LIKE THIS. MOST EXPERIENCES AT WALLY ARE JUST LIKE ALL OF YOU EXCEPT I DON'T GET QUEASY. I'VE HAD TO CALL MY HUSBAND TO COME AND GET ME HALF WAY THROUGH A SMALLER KROGER STORE. SORRY I CAN'T HELP, JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW YOU'RE NOT ALONE. TAKE CARE, HOPE EVERYONE IS HAVING THE BEST DAY THEY CAN.

SALLY
  10. HeartsinOhio

HeartsinOhio New Member

I have the same thing happen when I go shopping....running to the bathroom, forgetting what I needed. A list is a must for me. I thought I was the only one that happened to. I can feel pretty good before entering the store, then bam it hits me.
  11. medhead

medhead New Member

Hi Sylvia,
    I too have had this feeling when I go shopping, and coincidentally enough also at a Walmart. But it happens often at the mall. I don't think my symptoms were as severe as yours but I did get queasy, headache, dizzy. And my symptoms also remained throughout the day. Flourescent lighting was my thought as to the cause. I usually end up cutting my trip short and going home disappointed at what I hadn't accomplished. You're not crazy.
    Sorry you had such a bad reaction-I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.
    Best.
    Pam
  12. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

It does help to know we're not alone with these crazy diseases doesn't it? Just seems like if it isn't one thing, it's another. LOL Oh well....

It's just a really big change from never being sick and having a great job, to getting sick from every little thing and not getting anything accomplished!!!

Thanks y'all and i hope you have a great week.

HUGS
    Sylvia
  13. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I don't even go to big stores anymore. I feel lucky to go to the corner convenience without the urge to run out and run home. I never know when "it" will hit me, the dizziness, spacey feelings, etc.

I pretty much do all my shopping on line now, groceries, everything.

I used to love to go to the mall.

Ahhh.....another little pleasure to say goodbye too.

Sue in Ontario
  14. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Slyvia:
    I am very careful about what stores I go into. I do most of my shopping online, except for groceries and that is a quick trip in and out. I eat simply.
    With the FM I feel ill when I have to put out that extra energy. I am OK as long as I do not go too long or too far.
    You are right about flourescent lights. A study was done years ago about anxiety levels from them: very high. I avoid them.
    Shopping tips: fast when the store is not crowded, online where possible.

n.f.
  15. jole

jole Member

Guess what! There are lots of us. Just did it tonight, as a matter of fact. I rarely shop, but had to go to the doc so my hubby and I went into Wal-Mart for a few essentials. I not only feel terrible, but totally get turned around. He has to stay beside me or I'm lost in there and don't know how to find the way out - even though I've been in there off and on for years.

I get terribly weak adn the pain magnifies 10 fold in 20 minutes. My mind goes out of control and I panic. It's like having mini seizures from the lights, people, etc. It just isn't worth it.

Afraid my fun shopping days are over. It's just the little town grocery store and me these days.

Friends - Jole
  16. bigdogmom107

bigdogmom107 Member

17. lutenashley

lutenashley Member

18. lutenashley

lutenashley Member

Hi there, the same thig happens to me all the time. i just went to pro heath and looked up "Fibromyalgia and blacking out. I got about a dozen other stories of women like us. I woild really recomend you checing it out