AM I DEPRESSED OR JUST LAZY????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pirtpain, Sep 19, 2006.

1. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I have a huge problem!!! I can't get motivated to do ANYTHING! This has been going on for about 9 or so months and I have gained 55 lbs. and some days I don't get out of bed at all. Or if I do get up I do nothing but puzzles or TV. I look so forward to certain shows etc. I can't seem to get motivated!!! Am I depressed??? I do take meds for this. I just don't know what to do anymore. Is this normal??? I have tried several things but they don't motivate me for long. Any medical answers for this??

Pirt
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

not all the time,but I have it frequently.I used to get aggravated that I'd forget what I was doing.Now I know I'll eventualy get back to it.Sometimes drinking water will help the focus issue.Linda
  3. janieb

janieb New Member

because I have some of the same questions. I don't take meds for depression, but I did get a prescription once. AFter reading the info it said not to take them with the pain meds I do take. Never got started. Suppose I Should check with the doctor.

I do set goals and sometimes I complete them. Today I had no less than four visitors, and many, many phone calls, so it's not that I have no social life.

I have thousands of dollars worth of craft supplies I should be using, but it seems like too much trouble to get them out.

Have not gained weight, but with some totally unrelated medical problems, I've lost 25 and was underweight to begin with. Eating seems like too much trouble.

What I do know that I have is panic attacks. Totally out of control and for no major reason. Thoughts go round and round, but my heart rate doesn't change.

When I read this I think I must be am idiot to not know I'm depressed. Do you all agree?

Good luck, Pirt. The advice you got sounds good.

janieb
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2006]
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I think the question here is whether there are things that you really would _like_ to be doing and don't have the energy to do, or whether there is nothing that you would like to do.

I seem to have CFS and mild bipolar (although I wonder if the two are related).

With the CFS, I spend a lot of time thinking about all the things that I wish I were doing. This includes stuff like spending time with friends, going to events, traveling, and work. (The work that I do is interesting.) To a certain extent it includes mundane things like getting the house cleaned (since I feel better when it's clean) and cooking (which I used to really enjoy). It pisses me off that I'm too tired to do these things. (I do not want to do things like argue with my relatives about stupid things, but who would want to do that?) I also enjoy the things that I do as long as they're not taxing....watching movies, for example.

With the depression (now under control with Lamictal), I didn't want to do anything. Nothing sounded like fun. Nothing I did was enjoyable when I was doing it. I wanted to be in bed because I wanted to escape from the world, not (at least not as anything but a secondary problem) because I was too tired to face it.

Anyway, if you have CFS (and presumably that's the case if you're on this board), "lazy" is an evil word. If you're not depressed but don't have the energy to do things, it's because your body wants rest. Give it what it needs....although pursuing treatments that will make you feel better in the long run may be worth doing even if you don't feel like it.

BTW, resting your brain as well as resting your body seems to be helpful. It still seems "wrong" to me to lie in bed and stare at the ceiling, but I do think it's more restful (as long as you're not spending the time feeling anxious or stressed) than even watching movies. (Try to tell yourself that "this is the time to rest, and there's nothing more important that I can be doing now," if CFS exhausion does seem to be the issue.) Speaking of which, I'm sure that contributing too much to this board is not especially good for me personally, but I seem to be on a roll recently.
  5. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

Alot of good advice everyone! I will try some of these & see if I can do alittle more about this. I do feel alot less guilty when I am not up to doing all that I wish I could do. The input is welcomed!

Barb
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

we like before we got sick?

Isn't that how we tell?

7. fredrick3

fredrick3 New Member

wow

I still greave for the boundless energy I had just 15 yrs ago.
    Whether CFS or fibromyalgia one of the 2 worst symptoms is fatigue. Add to that the propensity towards depression, that the loss of vitality these diseases induce.

If you're on SSRI's weight gain is not uncommon and a lot of doctors gauge progress when they see weight being gained. I was clinically depressed for most of my life till I reached 30 and was put on meds. before meds i was as skinny as a rail. Now I'm way too big. <shrug>

The SSRI's and now we have SSNRI's have loss of motivation as a side effect. Most doctors won't discuss it. Mine will and that's why I'll never move far from her. Anyway, I know exactly how you feel and loos of energy/motivation is a lot better for me than the bottomless abyss of depression.

and now I'm tired and can't read so good so good luck and I hope this helped.

Gary
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I was all set to say that maybe you're body needs more rest right now but if this has been going on for nine months and you've gained 55 pounds, it sound like you may need a med change. You say that you're lonely and I sure know how hard it is to make friends. Try talking to your doctor about it but don't accept it. Consider counselling.

This is still your life no matter how difficult it's become - and I know it has.

Hugs,
    Marta
  9. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Have you ever seen the commercial that goes like this? (I can't get a job because I don't have any skills. I don't have any skills because I didn't go to college. I didn't go to college because I didn't have any money. I didn't have any money because I didn't have a job.) The metaphor here is how I relate.

I don't want to get up and do the things I should do because I am tired. I am tired because because I don't get enough sleep. I don't get enough sleep because I am in so much pain. I am in so much pain that I don't want to get up and do the things I should. (Then I throw in a little guilt and presto...I am depressed.

It seems like a vicious cycle some days. Medications could help (if I were on much of anything yet) but since I am not the best I can do is make myself a list. A short list...don't make it so huge that you cannot accomplish what is really important. You need to feel good about what you have done, and not what you didn't. Even if no one else see's it, you will know it.

I hope you find a way of coping. We all deal with life's struggles differently....and each of us is right for who we are.

Take care & Blessed Be,
    IowaMorningGlory
  10. Avey_CO

Avey_CO New Member

Yes this can a vicious circle. Sometimes I could get so overwhelmed that I become disfunctional. Learning to take it one day at a time. A biggie for me is to acknowledge what I have accomplished today. Always been one to want to be acknowledged by others. Seldom came. I learned to give myself pats on the back. Also give myself permission to feel down. Self pity was my greatest foe. Realized that I had a lot more control over how I felt than I realized. Positive thoughts generate positive actions and feelings.
  11. you have alot of good advise here. Funny, I was just mentioning this to my husband. I literally make myself get moving and doing something . I am not one to lay around in bed, unless I am in major pain . I do something and go rest, do something else and take another break. Yesterday I made myself go to the store, sometimes just getting out helps. This dd is so horrible, I think we all grieve for the old us. I hope you feel better. Like I told my dr. I wouldn't say I am depressed, but I am depressed dealing with this dd day after day.