am I depressed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I'm wondering if I should be trying some antidepressant meds. I'm already taking St. John's Wort and SAMe. I don't know if they're helping much, but I feel worse if I try to go off them.

I've been trying to go 'natural' in my treatments. But I'm just getting to the point of going, "just give me something that works!" I'm feeling depressed and stressed to my limit by being so sick, and I want some relief.

I've got a lot going on. I've got lyme, probably a lot of food sensitivities and then eating those things anyway (I have a general idea about what my body has trouble with, but I haven't been tested). About half my family members have some kind of mental problem. (Doesn't mean I do, but means I COULD, I guess.) I've been sick with CFS and sleep problems most of my life.

I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is depression, and if a med would help with it. I feel really down and exhausted in the morning, but that's more of a physical slow-getting-started thing. What I feel like at times is trapped and cheated. Because I'm young (24) and housebound for six years by the DD and dependant on my family. Every day I spend some of the time crying and pleading with God to help me to do what I need to do, try what I need to try, see the people I need to see, to make me even a little less sick. There are parts of the day when I don't feel so bad.

And every day, I wake up and think, "Not again. Not this same day again. Not this same struggle. Not this same fight. Not this same couch. Not these same TV shows." And I would rather be anywhere but here. I called my Grandma the other day and told her about that, and she said it sounds like depression, and am I taking any meds?

Is she right? Does this sound like depression? Should I be taking meds?

My naturopath has some homeopathics for me to try that should help me with my emotional state over time. I'd add acupuncture and counselling if I could, but I am not well enough to leave the house or interact with people. I actually did both of those things before my last big crash. I used up my energy on it and so I got sicker. So whatever helps me now has to be a pill, drops, some kind of self-treatment... That reminds me, the ND also has this thing called Mental Field Therapy that I could self-administer that should help. I should be able to start that this week.

Anyway, I am hoping you can help me to see where I am. Am I depressed? How depressed am I? Am I treating this agressively enough using natural things, or should I be trying meds? My Grandma got me wondering about that. You all have been my friends for a year this August, and you know me pretty well. What do you think?

I know I FEEL depressed, angry, trapped and frustrated. But I don't know if this is the same as Depression, and if I should get meds or try what my naturopath wants to do first.
    Thanks ((( ))) Shannon
  2. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I think depression comes second with these illnesses. If someone else lived in our bodies for just 1 week they would get depressed...well try multiple years.

Perhaps it is not a bad idea to try a small amount of a medicine to help with the depression while you are working on other issues, such as the Lyme and sensitivities.

I don't think we have to be so strong all the time. Many people who do not have half of our struggles take antidepressants to cope. So please be kind to yourself. If you need a drug or pain killer ,etc. it may be a good idea to look into it.

Wishing you better days.
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I would try counseling. It works well, you will learn coping mechanisms and thought patterns. I would try this before trying SSRI's. I have done counseling for over 2 years for my PTSD, it also helped with my depressed thought patterns.

There are superb counselors thru the state, usually free of charge,and also other places that can give it to you for free. Mine comes to the house so I don't have any problems getting to se her.

4. Gosia

Gosia New Member

shannon
    I also feel like this. But I think is due to our ilness.
    If you want to try natural remedies, here it is. It worked for me very well. You need to work on your neurotransmitters: Serotonin, Dopamine, Gaba, Epinephrene and Norepinephrine. All this you can acciomplish by taking simple aminoacids. Stop taking St John's Wort, take 5 HTP. It easier for your body to make serotonin from it. Also add DL-Phenylalanine,Taurine, Tyrosine and Glutamine. Try to take them as a indyvidual capsules, not like a shake. Start with one aminoacid for few days, see how your body react. Then add onother one and onother one. You need to take ALSO VIT.B 6,but I you go with 5HTP, the B6 is already there.
    I hope this will help you. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer.
    Gosia
  5. Rose73

Rose73 New Member

The best person to talk to is your doctor. Yes, you can get depressed from living with your illnesses, and being young. I was 32 years old, and it was like it took my normal life away from me. Depressions is diagnosed by ruling out that it is a physiclal reason for it, like tyroid problem. med side effects, and other things. And to be evaluated by asking questions. By that they can find out how severe it is.

It can be treated by counseling alone in some people. Mostly it is with the combination of counseling and medication. St John Wort can work on mild to moderate depression in some people. I don't know about Sam E. If you start taking antidepressants you can't take those.

There are some self tests online. Make sure it is genuine. Those would give an answer by if you need to see a mental health professional.

I have Major Depression, and had depression for years without getting help. I got to the place that I hit rock bottom and had to get help.

Hoping the best for you.

Rose
  6. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

hi shannon
    it sounds like depression to me, especially the things you said aout crying every day, being stressed to the limit, and the pleading with God for help. you need to speak with your doctor and tell them these things. better still your thought are expressed so clearly in this post print it and bring it with.

you also may wantto consider seeing a psychiatrist. i know you have wanted to try to stay with natural cures, but trust me psych meds can make a world of difference in how you make it through each day. also a psychiatrist would give you someone to talk to who would be able to give you constructive ways to deal with all the feelings your haveing regaurding you illness. it's a huge help to have that person there to help you, i rely on mine greatly.

i hope this helps.
    rachel
  7. Shannonsparkles

How do you know what meds to use?
    ((xx)) Shannon
  8. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

hi shannon
    i'm glad to see i'm not the only one awake. after you talk with you dr. they will decide which of the meds will help you the most. don;t be suprised if you wind up trying a few different ones befor you fing the best one for you. don't get discouraged, something will help. if they could help me they can help anyone.
    rachel
  9. Shannonsparkles

This is overwhelming, but everything seems overwhelming, you know? I hope that my doctor will let me do phone appointments, as I am severely disabled. I took a bunch of internet quizes (not scientific, I know) and it looks like a really AM depressed. Hope something will help. The only AD I tried, back in 2002 for sleep problems, made me very sick.
    (( )) Keep the advice comming. :) Shannon
  10. jenn5

jenn5 New Member

Please don't take the drug route. I know you're really sensitive to drugs, and everything else. It could really backfire. I can tell you from experience than ADs can be wicked, and not have the intended result at all.

Do you use any kind of fish oil? It can work as well as antidepressants- but much, much safer because it is still essentially food.

I've been here before also, feeling trapped by the illness, bedridden, feeling like it would last forever. With this new information you've got (lyme), you're new doctor, ect., you've got a better chance than ever of improving! You're probably overwhelmed, but hang in there. Your future is brighter than you're present.

Jenn