Am I doctor phobic??? (ranting a bit...)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Aug 16, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I had a physical with a new doctor last July. I followed through on some of the tests, but not all. I am supposed to go see her again to talk about treatment for my fibro issues.

Not too long ago, I was compliant with getting tests done, with follow up appointments, all that stuff.

Now, I don't want to look at or talk to doctors. I'm even having trouble managing to keep dental cleaning appointments.

I'm not sure what is happening here, except that this doc in particular harped on my being overweight about 12 times during the last visit, as if she were horrified that I am (gasp) overweight. Maybe I am exaggerating in my memory, I don't know. (she is a petite slender woman, probably never had an overweight day in her life. humph.)

The weight issue is part of it, but I just have had enough of doctors telling me what to do, with poor results and expenditure of my time, effort, energy, and money.

Guess I am just jaded with the medical industry in general. I just feel like I don't want to be poked and probed and looked at and talked to and lectured at right now!

I'm not sure what to do, although I really need to schedule that mammogram. and I suppose the colonoscopy too. sigh.

I've had huge changes in my life in the past year, looking at more to come soon, and maybe the medical stuff is just more than I can manage right now.

Any insight into all this? I know all of you have been there and back with doctors, and maybe will understand what I am feeling.

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

thank you, it's good not to feel all alone here. I am considering emailing my doc through the medical group's website, and telling her I'd like to see her about the fibro, but not to discuss my weight. Maybe that would be a good step.

I know that losing weight is healthy and necessary, but I HATE when doctors focus on that. I think they do that because it is something obvious, whereas fibro is elusive to treat.

I think, too, that I want to not need to go to doctors, to be able to manage this on my own, not be labeled and tagged and categorized. I don't know if this makes any sense at all. I also don't like to be told what to do, when I have other ideas.

I guess, like all of us here, I want to be healthy, to live my life with energy and no pain.

I don't want limitations. Going to doctors plants those limitations right in front of me and makes me look at them. Maybe I need a vacation from fibro!! Wish and hope...

As I said in my post, many changes in my life and the fibro has made it difficult at times to cope with them. I started a new job today, another step forward into the changes I've made.

philosophically yours,
    Beth.

[This Message was Edited on 08/16/2006]
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I go to my appointments and do everything I'm told as far as labs and what I can afford and try to keep my logs up-to-date on what's happening with me and also try to keep copies of lab and other things that are pertinent.

The reason I go to doctors is because I need them to continue to document what's going on in my body.

Remember, you are hiring them. Not the other way around!

Go in to see the docs in a determined state and with questions written down. It's "business."

That's how I approach having to deal with doctors. I agree it's not always easy!

Best Wishes, Jeannette
  4. adberens

adberens New Member

I hate going through the "new doctor" thing. I think we have all been through so many insensitive doctors in order to get help with our disease that we have learned to expect the worst. I could not believe when one of mine used the clasic line of "well you don't look like you have CFS" or "you just will have to go home and live with this" or "you must be out of shape if you can't run a 9 minute mile". This last one nearly got himself strangled!
  5. crossword

crossword New Member

In my 72 years I have had many incompetant docs - Have found that when they don't have the knowledge they will tell you that you need a shrink. I used to (and still do) come home and do my research on the internet, go back and tell them what the illness is. That got really old so I am armed with the research in hand when I see a doc now. As a result either I am treated with respect (not an idiot) or get treated with disdain as if I did not have a brain cell in my head. I get them weeded out pretty quickly now. I hope my experience will help. HUGS
  6. Martyp77

Martyp77 New Member

I get so worked up when I have to see a new doc I literally cry during the first part of the visit. I also *have* to bring my husband with me to "have my back" and confirm what I'm saying. Sucks.

We just moved and I'm dreading the "meet the new doc" time.
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

Doctors are a necessary evil for us. I will give this doc another chance, I suppose, but will emai her first through the group's online system, to air my concerns.

I know the weight is an issue, but she needs to understand it is not THE issue.

So, we shall see. Think I'll go schedule that mammogram now.

Hugs,
    Beth.