Am I eligible for Social Security Disability???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowee, Oct 23, 2006.

  1. meowee

    meowee New Member

    Hi Friends,

    Is a person who has not worked out of the home in 30 years eligable for SS disability? I have never felt well enough to work, but was not diagnosed with FM/CFS until a few years ago. Up until that time I was treated for things individually, IBS, Migraines, Back pain, etc.

    So, I never worked after I was married which was 1976.

    I am now 51. Do you think I could be eligible. It sure would be a help with drs. bills and medicines.

    thanks and God bless
  2. Cromwell

    Cromwell New Member

    I think there may be a minimum SSD for people with no income previously, but I would call and ask.

    Love Anne
  3. meowee

    meowee New Member

    Thank you, Anne. I appreciate your response. I will do as you suggested.

  4. DoveL

    DoveL Member

    I would have to say...YES, you are entitled to some money.. SSDI( this is what you recieve when you worked on the books for so may years, earning a certain amount of income)..IF you did not work, and have not made enough money in a certain amount of years, then you are entitled to SSI disability (this is what I recieve, as I did not have a 'steady work history'). Either way, you are entitled to some kind of money from the govt. if you are disabled. Every State has different rules, and wages. I am in NY. I would go to your local Social Security office, and get some info. from them. Also, I would try and see if you are eligable for MEDICAID(Medical Benefits). BUT, I am not sure what the rules are though, as far as if you are married. Are you still married? If your spouse makes too much money, as far as the State rules go, I am not sure how that works. Anyway, go down to your local office, and see if they can help you!

    Good luck..
    Let us know how it goes.
  5. meowee

    meowee New Member

    Yes, my spouse still works, mainly to keep our health insurance for me. I am going to look into it though. He has paid into SS all these years, a few hundred dollars a month would help greatly with my RXs and Dr. visits.

    Bless you for your help. Thank you both.
  6. Crispangel66

    Crispangel66 New Member

    You can get SSI if you have a low enough income. My hubby makes about 1400 per month and my son gets a SSI check for 600 and now I get a check for 200, which I really don't care about the money I needed the medical help.

    I have fibro, ra oa, degenerative disc disease, depression, brain fog, diabetic neuropathy and diabetes and gastroparesis, I think that is it.

    It took me fighting for 2 and 1/2 yrs and hiring a lawyer but I won.

    Good luck to you. Pamela
  7. meowee

    meowee New Member

    I did call SS yesterday and have an appt in Nov. I have a funny feeling I wont get a penny. We have 2 cars and a home paid for, and the man didnt sound real encouraging. We do have a nest egg saved for our retirement. I didn't want to spend it all on Drs. and meds but I imagine I will.

    God bless

[ advertisement ]