Am I Going to Loose My Mind???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PianoGirl, May 22, 2006.

1. PianoGirl

PianoGirl New Member

Hello everyone,

I am having a really rough morning, could barely get out of bed and have pain that is just about to drive me totally insane.

I'll try to give a brief synopsis of my situation. Had a pretty bad car accident in October 05. Started out having horrific headaches and then noticed my arms were giving me problems. They have progressively gotten worse. Have been thru x-rays, mri's, blood work, nerve conduction study....all come back negative for any problems, yet I continue to feel worse. Started chiropractic treatment about 3 weeks ago, thought i might be seeing an improvement but this morning, i am back to hurting as much if not more than before the treatments started.

No one has actually diagnosed me with fibro, but it seems like all my symptoms are pointing to this. I am so God awfully tired that I feel like somebody rolled me over with a train and took all my energy.

I've played the piano for 30+ years. That is my relaxation, well at least it used to be. I played for 15 minutes last night and I don't know if that aggrevated everything in my arms or what but I am one hurting puppy this morning.

I broke down in front of my husband. Told him I am sick and tired of being sick and tired and hurting. It's wearing me down. I thought I would see better results from the chiro by now. I know it's a long process to get muscles and inflamation to get better but i guess I'm just running out of patience, especially since no one will say what is wrong with me for sure.

The neurologist that did the nerve conduction study gave me neurontin and said take 2 of these 3 times a day and i'll see you in 2 months, yet the study came back negative and when I asked him what was wrong it was if he didn't even hear the question. I got no explanation or anything.

I'm usually a fast typist but after typing just this little bit my hands and arms and screaming at me.

Has anybody felt like this? what can I expect? How can I get some positive results from a doctor so I can say, YES, this is what I have, now how do we treat it?

Could this have all come from my car accident? I had NONE of these symptoms before that happened?

Am I going to loose my mind? I want to be ME again, not this 38 year old woman that feels 98 and is so tired and bitchy all the time that my kids think I've gone nuts.

Can anybody help me at all???????

Thanks
  2. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Yes this can be a result of the car accident. Mine started of the same way but from a surgery that I had, not a car accident. It started in my arms and hands and has gradually gotten worse.

Have you gone to a rheumatologist? They would be the ones to DX fibro. How long have you been taking the nuerontin? When I was able to take it before becoming alergic to it, it was a god send for me and really helped with the pain to the point where I was considering going back to work fulltime.

Hope that the pain subsides for you soon I know how that feels.

Take care

Jake
  3. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

This is just awful! I get so frustrated when physicians look at you like you've lost your mind because they don't have a pill to fix you and that's what they are trained to do.
    I encourage you to do your research on cellular nutrition with Dr. Ray Strand...he has helped me get through this physically, mentally and emotionally! He has several books out on nutritional medicine and he has a website...bionutrition.org
    This is what he writes...

Here you will find monumental discoveries in recent medical research.

Ray D. Strand, M.D. is quickly becoming one of the world’s leading authorities in Nutritional Medicine. Dr. Strand is an international speaker, and consultant on health and preventive medicine as well as the author of, What Your Doctor Doesn’t Know About Nutritional Medicine May Be Killing You. A graduate of the University of Colorado Medical School, Dr. Strand has been in private family practice for over 30 years. This site is the culmination of the doctor’s last seven years dedicated to the emerging field of Nutritional Medicine.

People of all ages are becoming more proactive about their health with renewed realization that it is much easier to protect one’s health than trying to regain it after it’s been lost. No longer are we concerned with the length of life—we want quality of life!

But where does one turn for solid, trustworthy, medical guidance?

As traditional medicine becomes more and more impersonalized under bottom-line pressure, consumers must seek out resources that will inform and equip them for their own health and as caregivers. Says Dr. Stephen E. Straus, Director of the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Health, "People want partnerships with open-minded doctors" who are willing to learn more about complementary therapies.

If you are looking for such a doctor, we invite you to a new partnership. After three decades of practical medical experience and leading-edge research, Dr. Strand not only partners with his patients in personal care, he also practices Nutritional Medicine in complementary partnership with traditional treatment.

Dr. Strand respects the strength of traditional medicine. But with its disease and drug-oriented focus, the body’s natural defenses have been overlooked. In spite of many life-saving medical advances, chronic degenerative disease remains at an all time high.

While learning more about the "root" cause of over 70 chronic degenerative diseases—oxidative stress—you too will realize that humanity’s best safeguard against developing coronary artery disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, hypertension, Alzheimer’s dementia, Parkinson’s disease, lupus, MS, Crohn’s disease, macular degeneration, asthma, arthritis, etc, is not found in pharmacology, but is found within our own bodies.

You don’t have to passively wait to see if the diseases you fear will someday affect you. Learn how you can turbo-charge your immune system, antioxidant defense system, and repair system; making certain you secure the absolute best chance to win the war against the root cause of degenerative disease. Dr. Strand has helped thousands of patients combat oxidative stress, by applying the concept of cellular nutrition.

Love,
    usanagirl
  4. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

Yes, they say something tramatic to your body, like a car accident can start the fibro but really, at this pt, noone knows for sure how we get it.

My Rheumotologist says its a malfunction between the brain and the central nervous system in the spine but you could get lots of different answers.

The drs will run every test they can before diagnosing FM. Some on this board searched for yrs for a diagnosis. And then, we find there is no cure and not much that can be done. Try to be patient right now as they try to find the answers to your pain. Ive never done the Chiropractics. So I cant help you there.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the board.

Suzette
  5. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

Have you every heard of a condition called Spinal Stenosis? It can be caused by a car accident or normal aging. Below is a list of symptoms.

Symptoms of Stenosis
    The narrowing of the spinal canal itself does not usually cause any symptoms. It is when inflammation of the nerves occurs at the level of increased pressure that patients begin to experience problems. Patients with lumbar spinal stenosis may feel pain, weakness, or numbness in the legs, calves or buttocks. In the lumbar spine, symptoms often increase when walking short distances and decrease when the patient sits, bends forward or lies down. Cervical spinal stenosis may cause similar symptoms in the shoulders, arms, and legs; hand clumsiness and gait and balance disturbances can also occur. In some patients the pain starts in the legs and moves upward to the buttocks; in other patients the pain begins higher in the body and moves downward. This is referred to as a “sensory march”. The pain may radiate like sciatica or may be a cramping pain. In severe cases, the pain can be constant. Severe cases of stenosis can also cause bladder and bowel problems, but this rarely occurs. Also paraplegia or significant loss of function also rarely, if ever, occurs.

How Stenosis is Diagnosed
    Before making a diagnosis of stenosis, it is important for the doctor to rule out other conditions that may have similar symptoms. In order to do this, most doctors use a combination of tools, including:

History: The doctor will begin by asking the patient to describe any symptoms he or she is having and how the symptoms have changed over time. The doctor will also need to know how the patient has been treating these symptoms including what medications the patient has tried.

Physical Examination: The doctor will then examine the patient by checking for any limitations of movement in the spine, problems with balance and signs of pain. The doctor will also look for any loss of extremity reflexes, muscle weakness, sensory loss, or abnormal reflexes which may suggest spinal cord involvement.

Tests: After examining the patient, the doctor can use a variety of tests to look at the inside of the body. Examples of these tests include:

X-rays - these tests can show the structure of the vertebrae and the outlines of joints and can detect calcification.

MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) - this test gives a three-dimensional view of parts of the back and can show the spinal cord, nerve roots, and surrounding spaces, as well as enlargement, degeneration, tumors or infection.

Computerized axial tomography (CAT scan) - this test shows the shape and size of the spinal canal, its contents and structures surrounding it. It shows bone better than nerve tissue.

Myelogram - a liquid dye is injected into the spinal column and appears white against bone on an x-ray film. A myelogram can show pressure on the spinal cord or nerves from herniated discs, bone spurs or tumors.

Bone scan - This test uses injected radioactive material that attaches itself to bone. A bone scan can detect fractures, tumors, infections, and arthritis, but may not tell one disorder from another. Therefore, a bone scan is usually performed along with other tests.

Hopefully this helps.

Andrea
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Maybe we are kindred spirits!! I'm sorry that you are having a rough time. It's all very difficult and confusing in the beginning. I'm glad you found this board, though. You will get lots of support and infomation here.

It takes a while to sort through all the info. and advice. You need to find what works for you. The positive thing about a board like this is that you can find helpful options.

A Rheumatologist is a good place to start. You need to get your pain under control and deal with sleep issues if you have them. It's a slow process, so be prepared. Pacing yourself is crucial and even more important when you are first diagnosed.

Try to play that piano, at least a little. Your life will change but you do need to hold onto something you cherish.

Take Care
    Kathy.
  7. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

So sorry to hear of you troubles.

I have heard of alot of people having more trouble than help with chiropractors.

What about massage therapy? or even better hydrotherapy? or accupuncture? There is alot of help out there, no you are not going to lose your mind, please hang on, nice to meet you, Ritatheresa
  8. knitfan

knitfan New Member

Three years ago when I had insurance I did physical therapy and chiro, which didn't help at all. Then tried massage therapy and acupuncture which helped alot. I hadn't had any flare-ups for nearly 3 years until recently. Now I have no insurance and am unemployed, so am on my own with hot showers, heating pad and Ibuprofen.