Am I having a mental breakdown?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Jun 21, 2010.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I just need to sit and vent/talk this out. I've been having some issues with my psychiatrist. He says I've exhausted all the AD's (which I found out this morning I haven't) and has been putting me on antipsychotics. These things are messing me up so bad!

I was on Savella and I just didn't think I was getting much benefit. So, we talked once again and he wanted me off all AD for a month to find where my baseline is. I'm sorry but I didn't find that acceptable and I told him that. Someone who is asking for help should not be told to leave without some sort of back-up and maybe he should pull those med books back out (I didn't say that though).

So, I'm researching the Savella which really didn't do much for me but here I find out he could have increased the dose and instead. He gives me another antipsychotic (he did this once before and it was really bad) which put me down in full fledge flare. I had back pain and I could hardly stand up for more than 10 minutes. The percocet wouldn't even stop the pain.

I was tapering off the Savella to the lamictal.

So, much back was horrible along with my legs.

Oh, and I could not sleep hardly at all while the Lamictal was building in my system. Friday night couldn't sleep, Saturday worked outside all morning and tried laying down, didn't work. Did some more laundry and stuff and I took a snooze from 4-5 p.m. I was getting delirious and the pain was really coming on bad....but all I could do was stay awake. None of my sleeping meds worked. Usually, they have me sleeping in about 15 minutes. My sleep meds are Temezepam (restoril)....after 6 hrs. of that not working I tried my doxepine and that wouldn't budge either.

I stopped taking the Lamictal (antipsychotic) on Friday and today my back feels just fine and I did sleep better last night. I just got up about every 2 hours and then went back to bed.

Now he isn't returning my calls and I am fit to be tied. I've been taken my Lorazepam this morning to just keep my head above water cause this is just too much too take.

Is this what a mental breakdown feels like? I've completely lost it, all I can do is cry.

2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

All I can say is try calling him back again and tell him or his nurse what this antipsychotic drug is or isnt doing for your sanity. It doesn;pt sound good. Then perhaps you could SUGGEST he give you A LARGER DOSE OF SAVELLA to see if that helps.

Tell him or his nurse that being off everything has just made you feel worse and how you feel being off the Lamictal. If he doesn't call you back or do anything for you I would go right to the office, essp if he doesn;t have the decensy to call you back and try to help you.

I do not see any reason why his office is not calling you back. Yes, he could be busy but that is not a good way to keep his patients happy and feeling well.

If you hear nothing from him and if you go to his office and demand at least a larger dose of the Savella I would start looking for another doc.

You need not suffer like that sweetie. I haven't had the same problems as you other than the pain but these are serious issues. I think I understand something about docs and patients since I was an RN long ago !! You should not be treated like that . They should call you back soon or just go sit on his dorsetep or should I say waiting room.

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

What a shame. I can relate.

How long were you on the lamictal? It did wonders for me with few side effects but we all react differently.

Were you on the packet where the dose is increased each week? If you are over the second week you need to wean off of it the same way. Otherwise, the Lamictil can make you very sick when coming off of it.

Maybe a second opinion would help?

Please do not hesitate to call 911. So sorry you are going through this.

4. Doober

Doober New Member

not only rude, but unproffessional to presribe an antipsychotic to a patient and then not return any calls from that patient.

This is after being on ADs. Knowing all the warnings that are thrown at us when we are prescribed these things, you would think that DRs would be more diligent with patient care??

Hope they call you back soon...
  5. windblade

windblade Active Member

A psychiatrist should always take emergency calls! Can you find someone else?

You must feel so abandoned in all this. He should be there to help you, for sure.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers,
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Dear Monica - if this continues and he doesn't call you back and he doesn't help if you go there to talk to him aboutit I would just start calling others for another opinion as well as possibly even CHANGING psychiatrists. There is no excuse for that.

I hope you start to feeling better soon. Yes, and as Judy said Psychiatrists should always take emergency calls especially when there has been a change in drugs ordered or changes in how the patient is feeling, mood swings, etc. This, as you know, can be very dangerous.!

Hugs to you sweetie.
  7. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

and told me to stop taking the mediction. DUH!!!

I'm still not feeling well. My chest feels like I'm having a heart attack (anxiety/panic). Still did a lot of crying today...hard to even leave the house.

I found two new psychiatrists that I'm going to meet/interview with and see what their point of view of treating a patient is.

I still have bad headaches and back pain. So, maybe in a week (cross my fingers) it will be out of my system.
  8. windblade

windblade Active Member

Well Done!

I'm just choosing a new psychiatrist also - for PTSD meds.

He was a referral from someone I trust. One thing I liked about him was that he called me back himself that very day. Also, he likes to get to know his patients, and spend a little more time with them - to see how they're doing.

I liked that too. I sort of interviewed him - asking him why he had decided to extend the time. It's good that you're going to ask about their point of view of treatment.

Ask also how they respond to emergency calls.

Hoping it goes well!