Am I Herxing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by happygranny, Aug 17, 2005.

1. happygranny

happygranny Member

For the first time in many years I have started sleeping very well at night. I even snooze in the afternoon. That is normally impossible with my racing-brain. I just feel tired, weighted down all the time. Things were already one heck of an effort, now it is so much worse.

I love the sleeping at night. It has been a week now, and I don't want to complain, but it doesn't feel right.

I know better..... But!.... I started taking two new 'meds' close to the same time.

One was a Mega-Vim vitamin, that has 75 mgs of all the B vitamins as well as a lot of other good stuff.

I already take B100s. One every night before bed. So that is a total of 175 mgs of each of the B vits.

The otherproduct I started taking is a Soloray product called Thymus Plus Caps. It contains bovine glandular products; Thymus, Lymph, Spleen and some Echinacea, goldenseal and clove.

So, I am wondering am I taking too much Vitamin B, or am I herxing from the glandulars???

I read Jeanne-in-Canada's excellent post on Herxing and it doesn't say anything about drop-dead exhaustion......

Ideas???

Thanks,

Happygranny

[This Message was Edited on 08/17/2005]
  2. pmj952

pmj952 New Member

Bumpin for answer
  3. happygranny

happygranny Member

Thanks for bumping my message pmj952

thank you Stormyske for your response. I wasn't sure if herxing could cause extreme tiredness, but boy-oh-boy is it ever nice to sleep at night. It has been many years since I have slept like that except for the occassional night.

It must be herxing and I hope that once the herx is over I don't go back to lousy sleep.

I know very little about what goldenseal and echinacea can do as far as stirring up viruses. I will look into that some more.

I do know that the glandulars are what is found in Transfer Factors which do cause herxing. I tried them last december, that wiped me out, but not as far as sleeping goes.

Thanks again,

happygranny
  4. happygranny

happygranny Member

Thank you for telling me about your fatigue experience while herxing. That is reassuring to know.

I have been taking trazedone for my sleep for about 3 years and it has helped, but still not enough sleep regularly.

Yes, I am a happygranny, though I wish I was closer to the little darlings.

happygranny
  5. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

you plese tell me what is herxing?

Thank you
    Granny
  6. happygranny

happygranny Member

Herxing is the the term used to describe when a person has taken a med that causes die-off of bacteria etc in the body. As this die-off occurs it produces toxins and it is flushed out of the body. Before it flushes out, the toxins can make a person very sick.

The term herxing came from person who named this event, Jarisch-Herxheimer. Here is a quote about herxing that I found on the web:
    The Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction (referred to as "Herx" often) is believed to be a reaction caused by organisms (bacteria) dying off and releasing toxins into the body faster than the body may comfortably handle it. It was originally observed in patients with syphilis who received mercury treatment [*]. 93% of patients with syphilis has Hughes Syndrome, it is estimated that 92% of CFS patients has Hughes Syndrome.

Hope this helps,

happygranny
  7. pepper

pepper New Member

if you are herxing or just having a bad reaction to whatever it is you are taking? It isn't clear to me. Thanks.

Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2005]
  8. happygranny

happygranny Member

I suppose you only herx if you are taking ABXs or taking something that stimualtes the immune system, like glandular or transfer factors. And I just learned there are other things that have an ABX effect like goldenseal.

There is so much to try and figure out. Boggles my pathetic brain.

{{{{hugs}}}}}
    happygranny