Am I reacting to Splenda?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Sep 9, 2008.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

My fibro pain has been increasing for some time. I have searched my brain to figure out why I feel so awful. The doctor put me on Evista for osteoporosis about four years ago. Now I am doing without it for a week to see if it is part of the pain cycle. But I am also suspicious of the Splenda that I have been using for several years. Does anyone have any experience with Splenda? Is there any connection between it and pain?
    Frankly, after decades with fibromyalgia, I am getting close to despair. This is such a hard disease to treat. Because of sensitivity to medication I am basically on my own, and the unremitting pain is a huge downer!
  2. misskoji

misskoji Member

I'm very sorry to hear of your pain. I wanted to respond to you because splenda or any sucralose is NASTY stuff! I did extensive reading about it. It can cause some very major things. I won't go into all the things it's suspected to cause.

If you think about it, it's not a natural substance. Well neither are many of the things we consume. But it is altered sugar, altered at the atomic root, chemically changed. Nasty, nasty nasty! If you can, try to use a different sweetner, perhaps honey, or even sugar is much better for you (in small doses of course)

Here is a little bit of info I pulled up:

Sucralose Can Cause These Symptoms
    Abdominal pain, achiness, back pain, chest tightness, dizziness, eye pain, fibromyalgia, headache, joint pain, leg cramps, loss of equilibrium, migraine, multiple sclerosis, nerve damage, nueralgia, neuritis, numbness and tingling of hands and feet, osteoarthritis, seizures, severe headache, shooting pains in extremities, swallowing pain, tingling, unsteady gait, weakness, more.

Whether or not your symptoms are directly related, I don't know, and can only speculate, but it's certainly of no help.

Do a simple google search on splenda or sucralose and you will see a wealth of information.

Feel better.
  3. klarry

klarry New Member

I will certainly do some research. You are kind to take the time to inform me. Chronic pain is so depressing, and because fibromyalgia is an invisible disease we don't rate high on the sympathy scale. It's good to know we are not alone.