AM I SAFE TO TRAVEL ON A PLANE, CAN BARELY WALK THAT FAR?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by STML, Aug 21, 2006.

1. STML

STML New Member

Can just have opinions on this guys,

whos travelled on plane and what stage of the dd were u at, i already have problems of tightening round chest and breathing and this dd seems to make me fell claustrophobic as affects my head muscles,

family are thinking of moving to spain and dont know whether to go or not?

hope good day for all, STMLx
  2. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

You can get a porter to wheel you to your gate and get one to assist you off the plane. I work at an airport, this is a common occurrence. Just let the airlines know.
  3. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

I traveled to Romania a year ago. Get the assistance the airports offer to accomodate you throughout the airport, that is what it is there for! They just need to know that you request it, I scheduled it with my plane ticket.

I still work, so my abilities are probably not as limited as yours sound like they may be. It was difficult, but with preparation, and good eating and drinking water habits I was ok. There are exercises to move your legs and feet in your seat that are especially good to do.

It can be done, depends on how much you want to, in my opinion.

Maia
  4. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

DH and i went from Indiana to FL before New Years Eve. Son called and requested 2 wheelchairs at door. Porters wheeled us to security, stayed right there as chairs went through, they took us to gate and pushed us to the door and we were allowed to walk on plane first. same way coming home.

It is possible to travel. Just ask questions and ask for help.

Good Luck

joan
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I noticed you are from IN! Me too! I read your profile and love how positive you are! Handsome hubby too~

I was going to suggest the wheelchairs also. My MIL has them from check-in until she meets my husband on her return home.

STMLx, I hope you are able to go! What a wonderful trip, but only if you feel up to it!

Let us know!

Kim

6. STML

STML New Member

i'm sure if you lot can do it i can,
    sometimes think i'm bit weak as thought of going on plane really sets the fear going, i wonder how my head will react, went on one when i was at beginning of illness but have really bad head muscle, jaw fatigue and makes me claustrophobic

anyway u guys are the inspirations so if i go theyll be a big thanks

STMLxx
  7. spacee

spacee Member

You need to address the claustrophoci symptoms too. I had those feelings too. For 15 years wouldn't fly. Then I HAD to go to Mexico City with my husband and so I used xanax.

That opened the door for me to travel again by air. Most of my relatives live about 1 hour flight from me, so I fly a few times a year. Slowly, got used to flying agin and now no longer use the xanax.

It is a personal choice. Some people are totally against xanax. Your doc probably would know something that would help.

Hope you have a great time.

Hugs,

Spacee
  8. STML

STML New Member

cheers spacee i 've gone from not going near a plane to oh it won't be tha bad in th end,
    take care STMLx
  9. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

but the wheelchair is an excellent idea. My mom used to book the wheelchair assistance with her ticket and most of the time the service was very good. The airlines are used to it. (She can't travel any more b/c of poor health so I have to go there...)

For the anxiety, maybe your doc (or alternative therapist) can suggest something to help? Or try some relaxation or deep-breathing exercises if possible.

One of the cheapo airlines I went on had cards with ankle exercises, but there is so little leg room that there is no room to do them unless you stand in the aisle and I wasn't about to make a fool of myself!

Good luck -I hope you can overcome obstacles, I hear Spain is very beautiful :)