Am I taking too many vitamins?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clueless, Apr 1, 2003.

1. clueless

clueless New Member

I am taking thefollowing vitamins:B6=50mg magnesium=100 mg.
    vit.C=1000mg calcium with Vit. D +minerals= 600mg. Super B complex Vit.E 400 i.u. and natural fish oil. I have a hard time taking pills of any kind and if I am taking unnecessary pills I`d like to know. Before the fibro. I just took a senior vit. I also take oxycontin, neurontin, klonopin and lortabs.
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

You are taking relatively modest amounts, except for the vitamin C. 1,000 mgs. is just making expensive urine as the body can't absorb more than about 160 mgs. of vitramin C daily.
    You could use more calcium and magnesium. Most experts recommend about 350 mgs. magnesium for Fibro patients.
    The amt. of calcium depends on your age, but even if you are under 35, it should be at least 1,000 mgs. of an easily absorbed form like calcium citrate, and more than 1,000 mgs. if you have the habit of drinking sodas, which pull the calcium right out of your bones. Since you mention taking senior vitamins, I am going to presume you are past menopause. If you are also female, you need at least 1,500 mgs. calcium daily, but do not take more than 2,000 mgs. unless you are also hypothyroid.
    Also, look at your Super B Complex and make sure it does not have more than 125 mgs. of B6 in it,since you are already taking 50 mgs. of B6, and amts. over 175 mgs. daily can cause nerve damage over the long-term.
    Klutzo