Am I the Only One Afraid to Take Meds/Supplements?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Apr 18, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Just wondering if anyone has a fear or taking meds and supplements etc.

I have all these supplements that the homepathic doc wanted me to take and they are in hugh dosages..I have started on some of them slowly and not on as high a dosage as recommended..I am just afraid of meds/supplements and not sure
    why except in the back of my mind I am wondering about side effects..

Then, I am wondering if they will work as I haven't seen any improvement so far if anything I feel worse..

Just so discouraged with myself..
    greatgran
  2. micheline

micheline New Member

I know how you feel, probably because every time I try to help myself I get worst, just last week I read about this doctor who got rid of fibro by taking ribose, I read all I could on this product, no side effects , all the articles stated, so I started my first dose with great hope, it made me worst, after much further research, I read that ribose is fermented corn, corn being my biggest allergy, all herbal have side effects and the possibility of interfering with meds, right now I wish I knew how to cancel this reaction, then again we are all different and some people have been help with herbal and nutrients, but I have reacted to so many that I am afraid to try anything, I have a drawer full of pills that I never took, especially antibiotics, I realise I am a wet blanket right now, going through a bad flare, wonder if it will end, I am usually more hopeful and cheerful, just wanted to let you know that I also have your fears, take care, miche
  3. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

Please don't be discouraged. I understand your fear and concern on whether or not to take meds/supplements due to reactions/side effects. I'm sorry that I don't have actual advice for you, but wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

I have ALWAYS been overly sensitive to meds and have reactions from mild to severe, so I basically take natural/homeopatic remedies (have a few reference books I use). Whenever I have "tried" to take western meds, I read the warning label probably a little too much - that label actually has to list any side effect that is reported, no matter how minut. This doesn't mean all of or any of this will happen to you, but I know it puts up a big red flag for you.

I have to start on low doses of any med/supplement. You can inform the doc of your concerns and see if he will start you out on low doses and increase from there. Reading more about what it is you are prescribed may help also. Anything is worth a try to help ease the symptoms from this DD.

Good luck!

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki

Forgot to mention - natural/homeopathic remedies can and may take days to weeks to actually work. It just depends on what it is and how your body responds.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/18/2006]
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Medications and supplements can and do interact with each other all the time. You're not being a baby by being cautious. If anything, it's far better to be prepared and know what your medicines are and what they do in your body and make an informed decision.

One of the reasons supplements, especially herbal, may be dosed in higher amounts is that they are made with dried material that takes a volume of consumption to achieve potency.

Herbal tinctures extracts take the concentrated essential plant oils and mix them in a delivery vehicle (ethanol) that is easily absorbed in the body. This is supposed to be the most efficent way to take herbal supplements, but I can't take ethanol, so I have to stick with the dried stuff.

There is a website where you can read up on various dietary supplements sponsored by the National Institutes of Health (U.S.) -

http://ods.od.nih.gov/index.aspx

the "fact sheets" contain some information on drugs that may interact with supplements.

I think it will be very near future when drug developers will have to check for supplement interactions with their medicines - lots of people use them.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Greatgran - I won't take anything without reading up on it first. I too am afraid of side effects.

But, I think most of the stuff you're taking is just fine. I remember seeing your earlier post of what your new doctor wanted you to take and I think it all sounded pretty good to me.

If I were you, I would read about each one and see what are the potential side effects. Do a google search. It's very empowering to educate yourself and you won't feel so afraid or helpless.

I take a bag full of supplements, close to 30 different ones a day, but I've read up on each one, and I also watch carefully when I start a new supplement to see how I will react. You need to do the same thing.

You do need to know what you're doing, what you're taking and why. It really helps to be informed and also this way you can watch out for unwanted side effects.

It's going to take awhile for you to see results with your new regimen. Also, you say you're only taking some of the things the doctor said, and not in the doses he recommended. So that could be why you're not seeing any results yet.

A few years ago I tried l-carnitine (it's an amino acid), it was supposed to boost energy. It did nothing for me, until I read that I had to take 3,000 mg. a day (I had been taking 1,000 a day). So I started taking 3,000 mg. a day and it made all the difference.

So don't be discouraged with yourself. Instead, take control of your life and what you're doing. If you have questions about a particular supplement, even after reading about it, ask your doctor.

I have much less fear of supplements - amino acids, vitamins, minerals and herbs - than I do of prescription meds. In general, the side effects and potential dangers of the natural route are much less severe than prescription drugs. But you do need to educate yourself.

Good luck --

Mary
  6. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

your not the only one who doesn't like taking meds.I"ve had this for over 10 yrs now and my kids will hardly have anything to do with me because i won"t take all the meds the drs try to give me . when I first came down with this I tryed all the meds and it made it worse for me then I went just to natural and I got better,still watch what I take as far as natural. like you last Nov I woke up with vertigo. and have been sick ever since I'm going thru stages Vertigo,extreme pain, now extreme fatique. light,noise,people bother me really bad, sometimes just can"t cope feel like I"m on overload. Pray things get better for us all .sixtyslady
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank each of you for your support and encouragement..I know I am my own
    worst enemy about meds..I have read on each one and no side effects to be alarmed about but still feel the anxiety..

I am in a crash now a bad one but of course I over did during Easter just trying to do normal things, like clean house and have family in for a meal..I was so sick yesterday I couldn't take any meds but I know I have to give them a chance..

The doc told me it would take about 3 months for me to began to tell a difference and while taking the supplements to get plenty of rest. He said I mean rest that is the healing secret then after three months we will talk about activity..Why can' I listen..

Thanks and God BLess,
  8. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

Madame Curie - I just have to tell you that I enjoy reading your posts. You have a great deal of knowledge that inspires me to learn more!

Thank you!
    Rocki