Am I the Only One Dreading Winter???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by artseyone, Aug 22, 2005.

1. artseyone

artseyone New Member

Why is it that my fibro/cfs symptoms worse in the winter????
    Now, I know all about the shorter days, lack of sunshine, inability to just hop out the door w/just a pair of shorts on...But, what really contributes to the excruciating pain of winter??
    I realize, too, about temperature changes causing the pain.
    If anyone has more info I'd be happy to hear...If anyone has any suggestions about how to handle winter's woes please let me know...
    Artseyone
  2. Lurlasgirl

Lurlasgirl New Member

I don't know why, but I certainly know that's true. The cold just absolutely hurts!! And - for me - it seems like there's no way to get away from it, even if I stay inside, and wear warm clothing,

So I finally moved south, and the longer days of sunshine and warmer temperatures DO seem to help. I know that isn't an option for eveyone, and I am so thankful I was able to do it.

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That's when we have our nicest weather down here in the sub tropics. I'm getting sick of summer and we still have two more months of it.

Love, Mikie
  4. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I live in sunny South Africa, you should come here for the winter Artseyone, we just had our warmest winter in 30 years! Now we are entering spring and the hottest 6-7 months of the year.
    I wish I could help more with the winter woes, but like I say, I don't really experience icy cold winters, I have only seen snow once in my life and that was in Switzerland!

Good luck
    Phoebe
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

and when it gets too hot in the summer too. Late Spring and early Autumn have always been my best times.

I have MCS, not as bad as it used to be, so being able to spend time outdoors seems to help. Due to the sensory neuropathy in my face cold wind and cold rain is very painful, so that adds to my dislike of the colder weather.

The only way I can deal with this is to accept that this is my indoors time and plan my activities around that. I am now taking vitamin D3, it has already helped to reduce my pain and stiffness levels along with other alternatives so I am hoping this will help during the winter months.

Tansy

6. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

This year I am definately looking forward to winter. I think my age is catching up with me and I am at the point right now where I am just hot all the time, so this year I cannot wait for winter!
  7. although I get cabin fever and hate snow, it has been so ungodly hot, humid and sickening, I am looking forward to Sept, Oct. I love autumn and the leaves turning. But snow, UGH!
  8. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I don't mind it anymore than the Hot Summer's, we get in Ca.
    Both make me ache, just in different way's.

It's the Pressure systems that get me, fell like my Body is in a Vise. Hate it.
    Also when I lived in Idaho, I had more Body Pain, espically in the neck and shoulders, than I do living in Ca.
    If I go to the Mt.s here, for a day or so, I get that same type of Pain.
    If I go Boating, I get Pain deep in the bones, if we go to far out in the Ocean, DH say's it's due to the Pressure system off the Coast.
    Smarty pants Sailor, ;o) tried to explain it to me, but of course It went in one ear and out the other, the Brain just dosen't Hold things in like it use to, lol, lol.
    :>]
  9. elsa

elsa New Member

I positively cannot stand winter !! I have been getting much better these last few months, and I am scared to death that the cold temps. and extra "bugs" that float around in winter will take me out !!

Lord help us ......

Elsa
  10. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I end up feeling like we have 9 months of winter..and 3 weeks of summer..and the rest is spring and fall! I have found that I am mentally MUCH better in summer..and physically, although I still have pain, I have had lots less of the aches and fatigue. This past winter was hell on me...WAY too much of it was spent feeling very sick. So, I am fearful of what this winter will bring.
    Our dream is to move south...because we both love summer...and also because we hope it will give me more 'good' days.
  11. jole

jole Member

I have been dreading winter for the last month--and it has been over 100 degrees here. I think I'm the only person in the state (ha) that is happy with this, until a storm comes through.

I feel so much better in the summer, physically and mentally. I have more energy and feel like half a person at least.

In the winter, I hurt twice as bad, have much more fibro fog, am in constant all over pain, need to walk holding onto walls and furniture, and can barely drive. There is really no joy in life at all, and the only thing that gets me through is the thought of summer.

Friends ~
    Jole

12. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

I hate the cold weather it makes me hurt and I have to fight depression in cold weather.

But it seems each year the summers get hotter and hotter. It probably doesnt, it is probably me just not being able to tolerate the heat.

But I do love the sunshine in the summer, and wish I was able to go to the beaches more and enjoy it the way I use to. But I realize it is not just the sickness that will not allow me to enjoy the beaches as much, it is also the fact that I am aging too.

I am tring to think postive with the winters. At least the heat inside will feel good, and the air condition hurts me so bad.

So my suggestion for the popping in and out to the car would be (if you live where you can) go and turn the car on and let it warm up before leaving. Thats what I do with my car and in the summer months also to cool it down.

But I realize that some people live places that they cant leave a car running. But maybe have a spare key and lock it while it is running.

Have a good day and enjoy, I know it's VERY hot were I am.

Love Brenda
  13. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Just yesterday I was thinking of winter and the aches and pains that it brings. I guess I thought about it as I realized that next week is September and yesterday was the coolest day we've had in Michigan all summer, I think. It felt like fall yesterday. This has been a hot summer, but I will gladly take it over the cold winters.

Aside from moving, I guess we just have to tolerate it.

Ellen
  14. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Not really. I was looking forward to summer because I thought I would feel better (thinking that I felt worse in the winter), well, surprise, surprise, summer has made me feel far, far worse than I ever felt during the winter. I live in South Dakota, so we have bitterly cold winters usually with snow and ice; I am actually looking forward to it in hopes that I will find some relief.

And, I actually really like cloudy days--it is much easier on my eyes.

Nicole
  15. virgo_karen

virgo_karen New Member

I live in the Mid-West so the heat and humdity is awful. From my waist down, I'm freezing and from the waist up, I'm sweating all the time. I was just thinking about winter too since yesterday it finally has been cooler.

I like Willis76 way of thinking to help get through the winter months. Willis 76, you are a very positive person, wish you didn't live so far, maybe you could motivate me and you could have someone around to motivate you. Oh well, we just have tolerate whatever comes and try to take care of ourselves the best we can.

Karen
  16. mother123

mother123 Guest

I know exactly how you feel!!! I have been feeling good (can you believe it?) for the past couple of weeks. I live in central to northern PA and I too am dreading winter. I seem to have a terrible flare up every fall. Usually sometime in late Oct. to early Nov. and I suffer until June!! But this is home and I'll be here for as long as I can!!!
  17. DVoit

DVoit New Member

This summer has been so miserable here in Virginia. I say that if I complain about being cold that someone should hit me. (I know I will complain. I do hate extremes.)
  18. DVoit

DVoit New Member

This summer has been so miserable here in Virginia. I say that if I complain about being cold that someone should hit me. (I know I will complain. I do hate extremes.)