Am I the only one frustrated by CANADA'S lack of decent meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Jun 5, 2006.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I've been researching sleep meds on the net for one that might help me STAY asleep. The sleep dr said I needed a longer acting one than the Zopiclone I am taking that doesn't even work. Well, Lunesta sounds like the ticket for me. It is simalar to Zopiclone, but it is longer acting and more effective. Well, guess what? YOU CAN'T GET IT IN CANADA!!! Nor can you get Cymbalta that is supposed to help for women with FM with their pain. I've been waiting for over 1 yr for Cymbalta to be approved and no go. What is up with our Country? I just don't get it. Now I can go to a doc in the US and get it, but then I have to pay to see the doctor, and the meds are covered by Pharmacare.(I am from Manitoba) And we have no insurance.
    what is a person to do.
    If there are any Canadians who are taking these meds, PLEASE let me know!

Raz
  2. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I have no medical insurance, and as far as access to doctors/prescriptions they might as well not exist. I read recently that 40% of the people in this country are now uninsured.

There are programs which pick up medical costs if you are virtually destitute, but I'm in the position of having too many assets to qualify for those, am at an age where I need to preserve what I have for retirement, am a couple of years too young to qualify for Medicare, am not currently qualified for disability and its associated medical. So I guess neither system is perfect. I avoid doctors and prescription medicines like the plague.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2006]
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

They carry the cymbalta == called duloxetine.

They also have Lunesta== called eszopiclone.

All you have to do is look at all the prescription meds listed.They have just about everything we have in the US except narcotics.

Hope this helps a bit.

Take Care
    Sue
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Raz ... I too wake up every 2 hours or so on Zopiclone .. I asked about Ambien CR or something like that .. it was supposed to get you to sleep and stay there for a few hours at least .. not in Canada though ... I'm in Ontario and I think you are out west ? .. so it is country wide on the limited group of meds we can get .. my GP is great but if she can't get them .. I can't get them ! sigh !
  5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

that the online Canadian Pharmacies can sell drugs available only in the US to the Americans, but not to Canadians because they aren't approved here! Go figure.
    My doc just gave me a perscription for Gabapentin 100mg 2x/day to see if that will help me. Lyrica is available here, but very exspensive and not covered by Pharmacare. If this doesn't work we will try Serequel.

Blessings,
    Raz
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

It can be frustrating if you can't get the drugs you think you need. It's a bit of a toss up though. There are things approved here that Americans can't get.

I hope that you can find something that works.

Kathy

[This Message was Edited on 06/08/2006]
  7. KerryK

KerryK Member

Health Canada has a procedure that allows Canadians to receive prescriptions not available in Canada. You need to have your doctor fill out the appropriate form for Health Canada and the doctor has to report to them the results of your treatment on the drug. Otherwise, the drug can be seized by customs. The form is available at their website.

Good luck.
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

KerryK, I will look into that!

Raz

[ advertisement ]