Am I the only one who can't do any thing???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jann1033, Jun 19, 2003.

1. jann1033

jann1033 New Member

I just read some archieve article about amy peterson and while more power to her, i can not figure out how she can "will" herself to such exertion. if I did i would be in bed for a week(been there, done that) and while I realize cfs, lke basically any other illness, is different in different people, i thought i was more the "norm". truthfully it kind of depressed me because it almost sounded like the old "you can be anything you want to be" routine and I have found CFS to be so totally not like that... more like "forget being what you want to be and change course to zero strenuous".Just wondering.
  2. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

really long periods (like the year 2002) when I can't do anything. It was probably best that I didn't even think about accomplishing anything although I could do a few things now and then. I'm never not able to do anything, but at times I do just have to go with the flow. I used to describe my energy as likening my body to a car. I wanted to go, but when I stepped on the gas pedal the tank (energy supply) was empty. I think one thing that is different now is that I've backed off and am only doing those things I feel I can comfortably do- I'm working from my strengths and not my weaknesses. I know what I can do and I make the most of them. I will push myself at times to see if I can do a little more and sometimes I find I can, other times I crash. I've had to get a whole different mindset, learn to do things a different way and realize that I am more than what I can physically accomplish. It helps me to be more at peace with myself.
  3. jann1033

jann1033 New Member

thanks for you comments, especailly the "you aren't what you can do physically". I never really thought that conscienously but that is right on the money. I recently read an article that said to do 50% of whatyou THINK you can do and I have been trying to keep that in mind. winter is easier...snow snow snow... so no big deal not going out but summer is harder since I have more desire to be out and about.
  4. teller7

teller7 New Member

My gosh you are not alone girl. The big crash for me came six months ago. I've know for a couple of years that something was terribly wrong with me, but didn't know. I was working then and could hardly make it through the day sometimes. My husband told me that I was turning into a hypocondriac. Well, I wasn't. I never have a really good day. Like the other gal said, I get up wash my hair, lay down and recharge my battery, clean up the kitchen as best I can, lay down again. I can hardly write this note right now and I've only been up for three hours. It's terrible, I know, but we're not alone. This message board is my savior right now.
    Carol
  5. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Jann, when I first read something about Amy Peterson a few years ago I got the same impression you did--"now people are going to think that because I can't do that much, that I must be lazy".

Well, thankfully I forgot about her! (There's *some* benefit to being so forgetful! :)

I do manage to usually do the dishes in one segment, but I'm only doing dishes for one (and 2 cats) and sometimes have to rest in the middle.

Often when I read about what other people can't do, I realize I'm not that bad off (I've never been bedridden). But comparing myself to yet others, I'm not that well off, either (I can count on 1-3 hours of energy a day, period, and any mental or physical activity done in that time can greatly reduce that).
  6. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

You can't compare yourself to someone else. Although I have FM and not CFS (though I wonder), I can tell you that I hate to say "I can't" because it sounds like I've given up or am lazy, but "I really can't" do many things without paying for it. I try to focus on what I can do. I believe our psychological state effect our physical state and vice-versa, but to what degree varies from person to person. I fair better psychologically when I try to be positive despite at the time I might wish I was dead, but that doesn't mean I feel better physically. Hang in there!
  7. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

You are NOT the only one who can't do anything!
    I haven't done anything except be in bed or move to couch for the past 9 months.

I don't remember reading that article but I think
    it does sound familiar. They probably did a segment
    on her at the Olympics.

People like that make me wonder, too. I start
    to doubt myself and wonder if I am not strong
    enough. However, when I am bedridden I
    just CANNOT get up and do things. I do not want
    to be that way, but that is the way it is!

I also worry that people will see these people and think that I am not trying hard enough or something.

The best thing to do is not worry what anyone thinks about you. You have to take care of yourself.

Lynn
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I seem to have read that article too, its somewhere in the back of this misty mind, but like someone else said; 'I just forgot it'!

I have FM, not CFS, but I do get that terrible fatigue you get so I am familiar with that, and its as bad as the FM pain to me, and just as disabling.

I don't try to do anything the way I used to do things, anymore.

I simply do what I can, and like someone else said, I go 'rest' inbetween washing my hair, taking a bath, doing the dishes, half a-- mopping and sweeping, vacuum one room, rest and probably catch the other room the next day.

I try very hard not to exert my muscles, if I do then I am in the bed for days. What is the point in that??

I pace myself, and I really don't care who likes it, or not likes it. This is my life, and I have to live it like I am able to do.

Do not feel bad, you do what you can. Let the rest of the world think what they will, they would find a fault no matter what it was anyway.......

I had been in a flare from Thursday till today. All I did was sit here on the board for a while each day, and then go to bed, now my hair needs a washing, and I could use a whole bath!
    I will do it nice and easy so that I don't relapse. That is about all that I can do. One day I had pain and fatigue, that was a killer. The other two days was severe pain.

But I just crash when it hits, I do not fight it anymore. This was a short one, thank God. I have had flares last for weeks and even months.

YOu take care, don't let anyone make you feel bad. YOu are doing what you can, thats whats important.

Shalom, Shirl

9. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Hi, I don't even know who Amy Peterson is; I gather she is some sort of athlete. I can't do much of anything myself; I am home with 3 children and really can barely leave the house. I try not to focus too much on what others can do; it just makes me depressed and makes me feel like life is passing me by.

Hippo