Am I the only one who's never gotten help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Oceandreams, May 9, 2006.

1. Oceandreams

Oceandreams New Member

I'm just curious, because people on here are always talking about their doctors and their medications.

Am I the only one...who has never seen a shrink, or been on any kind of medication?

Sometimes I think I should. I don't have health insurance right now though. Even if I did....I dunno if I'd wanna take any pills. I owuld consider talking to a counsler though, but I've never actually done it.

Well next year, I'll be a student again, so if I want to talk to a counsler I'll be able to do it for free. So maybe I will from time to time next year, who knows though
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

still check w/your county for medicaid or free clinics...do not stop going to a dr for lack of money....

there are clinics for free psycologist help out there...or sliding scales...

jodie
  3. Oceandreams

Oceandreams New Member

unemployed, looking for work, but anything I find right now will probably be part time no benefits

I'm in a no money to spare place right now...the occasional nights out with friends and my cigarettes are about all I can afford at the moment

this will all change...but it wont change this week. you know? sorta going day by day right now.....and trust me I HAVE been looking for a damn job lol just not having luck
  4. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

I have no insurance right now either....lost it when I lost my job because of all this stuff. I tried a clinical trial for Fibromyalgia and going to start another one next month. You might check into them..........they pay YOU !!!!
  5. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I don't mean to be rude, but I just can't imagine putting social outtings and smoking before my health.

I guess each persons level of pain changes how things fall on their list of priorities.

Sorry.

~Amanda
  6. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

Hey....if you are still able for social outings ...GO FOR IT !!!
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

There is such a thing as the mind/body connection, and if you are keeping happy and vital, that's a huge step in staying ahead of this dd.

The best remission I ever had, was when I was going out partying a few times a week. And I've always smoked, except for the few times I quit for half a year or more. It wasn't the start all and end all that some docs and well meaning (but wrong) people told me it would be. The thing I'd recommend about smoking though, is to not to it in your home. Keeping your home smoke free makes a huge difference, and then you aren't inflicting your smoke on others either. Second hand smoke really is more destructive than first hand.

I hope you remain medication free. From years of hard experience, I think it's the better way to go. When you can afford herbs and supplements they are a safer alternative. Buying bulk herbs is very cheap and effective, and I've made big dents in my illness level by using them on the thinnest of shoestring budgets, along w/ a healthy/homemade diet.

Jeanne
  8. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

Maybe my wording was wrong?

I'm not encouraging anyone to abandon their habits and enjoyments while they can still do & enjoy them.

The only point I can stress, is that if the day comes when you NEED medications; you'll know it. And on that day, if it happens - you may have to choose that your health is more important then social outtings or cigarettes.

5 years ago I would have told my doctor "I don't have the money to get this RX filled" gotten in my car, lit a cigarette, and drove to my friends house.

Now my medications are nearly $1000 a month, and I had to make the decision to quit smoking almost 2 years ago now.

~Amanda
  9. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Good for you! My doctor says quitting smoking is the single best thing a person can do to improve their health.

Roseblossom
  10. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    No, you're not the only one. I've never seen a shrink for these DD's, and I don't take any prescription meds for these, either. Once I took muscle relaxers for pain but that was only for one day. I'm on a protocol of rest and mega doses of supplements.

I'm really lucky that fibro is not my main problem - CFIDS is.

Terry