Am I the ONLY young person with FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mshonda400ex, Aug 26, 2006.

1. mshonda400ex

mshonda400ex New Member

I feel like I am the only one thats young and has FM. I am 23 and discovered I had FM when I was 20. Is anyone young and with FM?
  2. mshonda400ex

mshonda400ex New Member

I feel like a lot of people feel that I am too young to have all these problems. That is something I run into quite a bit.
  3. Fredericka

Fredericka New Member

Mine started at age 17. Awhile ago... So you're not alone. I'm just a lot older now, somehow it happened.

Lots more info out now though and so much more support. Maybe more hope, too. More for your age than mine. (!) LOL.

Good luck. We might be older than you but we're still fun sometimes!
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

there are loads of young people all over with cfs and/or fibro.

My daughter first became sick when she was 15, she's 30 now.

love
    rosie
  5. toughone

toughone New Member

My daughter is 19 and started showing symptoms of CFS and FMS when she was 13. She is going to college and working part-time, just to prove to herself that she can, I think. She is having more and more problems as time moves on. I was hoping upon hope that these illnesses I have could not be passed on to my kids, but here we are.

Take very good care of yourself and know that we are all here for you if you need us...

Bonny
  6. Fibrotears

Fibrotears New Member

I also felt that way when I was diagnosed with FM and joined the board.

I'm almost 22 and we think that I had FM since I was very young (grade 6 or 7).

The really severe symptoms only started in 2002 when I was 17.

You're not alone and although the most of the members on this board are older, that doesn't mean that they don't understand. Here are so much understanding and caring people on this board. And the best part: They've been through most of the symptoms and they give very valuable information.

I struggle with the fact that I'm soooo young to be ill, everyday. But I've learned that the only thing you can do is to take things one step at a time.

Just remember that a lot of doctors are sceptical about fibromyalgia but that just mean that they are stubborn and ignorant. They think: If it's not in the text book, it doesn't exists. But you also get very caring and understanding doctors, just keep on looking.

I had to 'educate' my GP about FM. I took stacks of accredited articles for him to read and at the end of the day he began to understand.

Good luck to you.
    You are in my prayers.

Hugs,
    Fibrotears
  7. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I'm 23. I didn't start showing any real persistant symptoms until 21, and was dx at that same age.
  8. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I am 25 right now.

Started experiencing symptoms at 18 and was dx'd at 20.

I also have CFS, MPS and anxiety disorder.

You are not alone!!! There are actually a few here on the board!

Hugs,
    Stephanie
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2006]
  9. millennia

millennia New Member

I feel pretty old, but I think I'm still young enough to fall into this category. I'm 28 and I was diagnosed a year or so ago. But I've had symptoms for a long time!

I know how you feel. If my mother complained she was to tired to do something, no one would question her and she's not even sick! But if I say I'm too tired or I don't feel well, they tell me "You'll sleep when you're dead".

I would love to feel as young as I am, to not be in constant pain, but I've learned (most of the time) not to push myself too far. It would be nice if other people understood that. [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2006]
  10. moopsie

moopsie New Member

Mshonda,

Just wanted to let you know that you are definitely not alone. My now 13 year old daughter started having problems when she was 12. She is really struggling to stay up with her friends but I think the physical therapy is helping some. Hope you find something that helps you feel better and keeps you motivated.

Regina
  11. kriket

kriket New Member

No. you are not the only young person w/ this dd. There are a lot on this board and off as well that are young. I am now 29, but was diagnosed about 6 yrs. ago.There are some very young children with it also. So, you are not alone in being young and having this dd.

Kriket
  12. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

FM and CFS seem to show no boundries. In the 80s, doctors thought it was only wealthy, middle-aged women (who they called hypochondriacs) who got the disease.

Now they know that it's real. It affects men and women nearly equally (the last statsitics I read were five women to three men) and can strike at ANY age. Even toddlers.

There's viral involvement. Anyone at any age can catch a virus. And there are other factors, like genes, environment, toxins, etc.

I'm 24 lately. I've always had symptoms. In early childhood it was pain, wicked headaches, sleep disturbances, vision problems, and a lot of subtle things. Later on, I was sick constantly with cold sores and one virus after another. At age 12, I could no longer keep up at running with the rest of the kids. My muscles had suddenly become weak.

In grade 8, the fatigue started interfering with normal school work, and I was sick all the time. Then I got mono. I was not able to hike after that. I never got my strength back.

In grade 11, cognitive symptoms began to show up. I'd spell my name wrong. Space out and forget how to use a calculator. I'd be so wiped-out-sick-exhausted that I'd miss days of school, just lying in bed for half a week at a time. I barely graduated.

Then I came home. Things got worse. When I became bedridden on the second Monday of July, 2002... I was finally diagnosed with CFS.

I'm not as sick now as I was then. But I'm still housebound and I have to lie down nearly all day. I can't work or do chores. I live with my dad. I never learned how to drive, because after school I'd only be able to do my homework and rest. On weekends I'd just have to lie down. There was no room for anything else.

It's not unusual to have these diseases at a young age. In fact, there is an increase in the number of people being diagnosed. A recent study estimated that 4.5% of the American population is afflicted with fibromyalgia.

We have the advantage, being born when we were, of having more research and treatment options available for us than there were in the past. We're more likely to be diagnosed sooner and get better treatment. And there are a lot of other people who we can look to for support.

As for the challenge of having this young, there is a huge sense of loss at times. We all have to yell, "WHY ME?!" sometimes. It's okay to do that. Sometimes I even envy older people for having more memories than me!

Life can be good with this. You work around it. Treatments will keep improving. Research will get better. You'll meet some doctors that really care and will help you to get on with the things you want to do. However you're feeling and however disabling this is (yo, bedridden person here!), if you can enjoy today, just as it is, even for one minute, you're doing well.

Young folks. :)
    ((mshonda400ex)) Shannon

13. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

i'm sixteen with FM.
    and i first got sick with it when i was fifteen.
  14. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello!

You are not alone! I am young too...well I'm 25 years (as to whether or not you agree that is young, is debatable! haha).

I started getting FM symptoms when I was 16 yrs old...but went undiagnosed until this year!

I understand how everyone feels about people thinking that this disease is all in my head...to this day, even with a diagnosis I get called a hypocondriac by my own family.

Being young makes it hard too...because everyone sees you as young and nothing wrong to the outward appearance, so they are like "buck up child!" and "just go exercise and it will all get better"... maybe they think how can someone this young have so many problems, when "they" were our age they felt great, so we should?

You can message me anytime as well...just put my name in the subject line and I'll keep my eye out for it. :)

Take care.
    Val
  15. valleyann

valleyann New Member