Am I weird or just not as bad as some?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lil_angel1198, Feb 20, 2006.

1. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

I have read so many stories on here, and sometimes I think, Man, I must not have it all that bad!

I go to church every week, and sing ever week on the Worship team. I also pick all the songs for Worship Team and the hymns and choruses for the service.
    I still go grocery shiopping, although my husband goes with me so I don't have to lift heavy things.
    I do have to take a nap each day, as I get very tired, but I still can do basic cleaning in the house. Doing dishes is tough because my hands are swollen and ache so bad.

I know I have FM that is worse than my 3 sisters, all of them can still work outside of their homes, I can't.
    But sometimes when I read this board, I almost feel like I have it easy compared to some.....
  2. pamsue

pamsue New Member

No, I don't think you are weird at all FM strikes different people differently.

I was doing ok too for awhile, but now they have found that I have RSD along with FM, so what I do now is very limmited.

Welcome to the group. I hope you learn alot about FM while you are here.

hugs,
    pamsue
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Of course we are all different here. Also, some people have other health problems besides the FMS (as if that isn't enough!) which, of course, can make a difference.

As for myself, I feel as though I am in the middle for the moment. I can still work part-time (mornings) although it's a struggle at times. I am still fairly active, can keep up my home pretty well, but my husband helps me with chores and grocery shopping. I also am able to exercise several times a week, but always have to be careful not to overdue in everything I do.

I really feel for the people here who are feeling badly and still have to work full-time or those who are bedridden. It reminds me to be thankful for what I have and that every cloud has a silver lining. (that's something my mother used to say).

Ellen

4. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

I just read what you wrote and I feel the same way sometimes! I have a real good few days and then get reminded very easily !!!
    I was able to work outside of the home and recently got laid off and tried another job and guess what!! Two days into it I couldn't get out of bed and now I'm laid off again! It's ok because I have a ton of stuff that needs done here and I can take thebreaks I need here so everybody is different! Just gotta find your own groove and do it.
    My husband has a friend that can still races four wheelers but I know I can't do that! Wish I could cause there are days I feel the need for speed and would love it! LOL
    Just know your limitations and go from there..( easier said then done)
    Cindy
  5. jacampbell

jacampbell New Member

I have had the same thoughts. I tell my kids - There is always someone better off than you and someone worse off than you. Just be thankful for what your have right now. - Congrads for having a great husband that understands...that helps alot!

6. patches25

patches25 New Member

There was a time I could work, could keep a clean and organized house even though I slept poorly and ached. But over the years this has gotten worse. Now it feels like a bare existance. Takes everything out of me to just do some food preparation, a little clean up, and the care for my elderly mother. I do less in a weeks time than I did in a day 10 years ago. Many have been on this path of progressively getting worse. Take care of yourself.

I remember me. E.
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

that some people her do have it worse tha I do too, although I just got back from grocery shopping and I will pay for it for hours, even though I tried to be quick.

One good thing today, though, my dizziness is not too bad, just really light-wouldn't you know it, as soon as I get an appt. with a great ENT this week, my dizziness lets up a little(LOL)

I do think that for those who have a support like church or whatever, it is a bit easier to bear.

Love Anne C
  8. ellikers

ellikers New Member

You definitely aren't weird! As other posters have mentioned, everyone one of us has a different version of these chronic illnesses. They affect us in different ways so we have varying levels of energy and abilities.

I use to be far more debilitated but now I'm doing a lot better. My motto is to be grateful for what I have and work my best to improve or change what I don't like/have, so I'm always thanking the universe for my good days and my improvements and even when I'm feeling absolutely horrid, I am thankful things aren't worse.

I'm glad you're able to cope and live life in a way that works for you! You sound happy and grateful and I hope that you continue to do as well, and even are able to completely feel better. :)

9. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

For all the responces.

I was kind of feeling guilty I guess...because so many people are worese off than I am.

I was diagnosed 6 years ago, and joined this board quite a while back...I just haven't done much posting for a long time.

I used to be a Hairdresser, however, my shoulders feel like they'll pop out of the sockets from the pain I have...so no more hair. I've been a stay at home mom for about 5 years now.

I am really grateful for what I can do.... and when I have flares, everyone knows that I just can't do as much during that time. Luckily my family is very supportive of me.
  10. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I am pretty high functioning. (though I do have intense episodes of face pain which are debilitating - have somewhat controlled those with anitbiotics). I just always feel like I struggle to do normal things. For years I have been saying I feel so OLD! I'm 32.

It scares me a bit when I read how some of the other here are doing because I definitely have worsened over time. I don't want to go down from here. Since my last pregnancy (twins) I have gone down much faster. Feels like I'm on a timer - just want to keep as much of the good as I can.

I am hopeful right now that I can still make changes to improve how I feel and prevent getting worse (or at least slow the progress). Since I was only recently diagnosed there are still many treatments which I have not tried yet.

I don't keep up with the housework or bills or kid's schoolwork like I used to - mostly from exhaustion or just feeling "not good" if that makes sense. I've hired cleaners which help but suprisingly - it's not enough.

I don't know. I'm happy that I feel as good as I do compared to so many and yet I wish so much that I could feel better. Kinda makes me feel like a whiner. Anyway, you are not alone. I guess we can feel grateful that we aren't as bad as we could be.

I keep hoping research will do it's job and set us free before it gets worse.

(Wow, this reply is kind of a downer - sorry for that!)

Sofi
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

maybe lucky?? hopefully for a good long time :)

If theres one thing I've learned having Fibro for 12 yrs is this:
    There so many varying degrees of Fibro and how much its disabling to each of us.
    In the early yrs of my illness I could still do many things.
    looking back I can recall a few days a week where I was able to go about my business with little 'morning after pains' or payback.
    Mine has progressed greatly along with new illnesses on top of FM. So now days I'm far from well and consider myself to be in the 'worse' cases. NOT THEE worse,...
    theres always people worse.
    I guess I'm just saying I don't have good days at all, whereas I use to.
    Hope this helps~
    Tandy
  12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I know what you mean. I read so much here about how hard it was to get a diagnosis, problems getting pain meds, finding a good doctor, etc.

I have a wonderful GP who diagnosed me without any pushing from me. In fact he brought up FM before I even knew what it was! He prescribes pain meds, but keeps an I on how much I take, as a good doctor should.

I know I am much better than so many here. I still work full time, but don't do much at home. Thank goodness I have a house that is pretty easy to keep clean!
    I drove 80 miles on Sunday and went to the mall. I was really tired and hurting when I got home, but felt much better yesterday. Today I hurt everywhere, but I know that I will feel better in a day or two. So many here would not be able to rebound so quickly.

We are all so different! My prayers are with each and everyone of you, disabled or just inconvienced (as if it was every that easy!), we all need constant prayer.

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  13. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

You can compare yourself to the rich or the poor. Won't change how much you have tho.