Am I Whining?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Misfit101, May 23, 2010.

1. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

No. Im crying. I actually have tears leaking from my eyes. Dont want to wake dh...hed be very upset. He wants to help and Id never tell him this but the fawning and million questions make it worse. Dont misunderstand Im glad he cares. But Im like an injured animal that needs to lick its wounds. This pain is unbelievable. Im exhausted but cant sleep. Both legs are hurting so bad. Arm is even hurting and trembles if I lift it. Even my back is hurting probably from not walking right cos of my legs. Sciatic pain both sides. Ive taken my meds. And I dont know what I did to bring this on! And some of you have lived with this for decades??? The last time i dealt with pain of this magnitude was before my back issues were treated. I thought i had it made for the most part. I was wrong. Thanks for allowing me this. I needed to get it out.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

That's the way my almost 24/7 headaches would get. I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to bother your DH about it either, our spouses (either sex) usually want to figure out what they can do to fix things, even when they can't. Pain is exhausting, debilitating, and depressing, and many other things...

You might want to talk to your MD about pain meds ASAP, or if you already have been rx'd something, maybe changing to something else.

I am so so sorry you're going thru this... wish I had more to suggest other than a hot bath or meditation/prayer. I hope maybe the meds can kick in a bit more after a while and give you a little bit of relief so you can sleep a bit at least.

(((gentle hugs)))

3. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I am calling my doc in the am. I dont hold out hope that she will have anything in her bag of tricks. Already im on powerful narcotics. Im about to break down and take my breakthru meds. For the 3rd time today. I think they should be called breakdown meds. I think thats what im having. And if i could get in (more importantly...OUT) of the tub id so be there. I keep wondering how so many of you havd done this for so long. No choice I guess. My symptoms werent this bad when 1st dx'ed. I had no idea what i was in for. Thanks Victoria. A "voice" in a bad night. *hugs*
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

Becky, I'm glad you have something to take for breakthrough pain. I wouldn't hesitate in taking them, from what I've always understood it's better to stop it sooner than later - makes it easier for the drugs to stop the pain. Sure worked that way when I had occasional migraines. (My 24/7 headaches were sinus).

I sure hope you get some sleep tonight....
    sweet dreams, I hope!
  5. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

So sorry you are in so much intense pain. Sciatic pain definately can bring tears to ones eyes.
    You have every right to have tears, let them flow.

Your doc may write you a script for massage therapy or perhaps water therapy.
    Years back i had the electric shock treatments for sciatic pain. That was followed by block treatments with a chiropractor.

Hope you can find some kind of treatment to help ease your pain.
    Weather patterns can also set off these pain signals too.

Wish you well
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I've spent many nights crying because you just don't know what to do about the pain. Oh to just get some relief.
    I'll never forget when my favorite Dr. ever (my gyno) once said to me how unfair it is that when you're in the hospital they do everything they can to keep you out of pain, when you're at home, you're on your own.

Pain is absolutely exhausting. Sometimes I feel like my brain can't handle it, can't process it. I have to try to turn my brain off. I need complete quiet or to get lost in something else (I'll try to watch the beginning of something on TV until I can fall asleep) Sleep is the only thing I hope for when I'm in awful pain so that I don't have to feel it.

Definitely take your breakthrough meds. Waiting is the worst thing - trying to chase the pain.
    Can you imagine being one of those whose Dr. does not give any pain medication? I just don't get it. I've been on the same dose for almost 3 yrs and it just doesn't last very long even though I'm also on an extended release. My Dr. doesn't want to increase the dose. I guess it makes me wonder when a Dr. decides it's time because this has been an issue for me for over a year - getting relief for maybe 2-3 hrs. I've always had an incredibly high tolerance. I spend many days deciding when I want/don't want the most pain (when I should or shouldn't take my breakthrough meds) It sucks to put it bluntly. Tired Tired Tired.

So incredibly tired - of hurting.

I'm sorry I'm not making you feel better! BUT, please know that I completely understand how you feel! I hope THAT makes you feel a little bit better.

7. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I have two suggestions....

First, my doc recommended that I take my percocet every 6 hours around the clock to stay ahead of the pain rather than chasing it when it gets out of control....

Second, when I feel horrible, I put in a movie into my laptop, plug in some headphones, and lose myself in the movie....all the sounds around me are blocked and all I hear is the music and dialog in the is very distracting from the pain.....

I hope you begin to feel better!
  8. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I used to be one of those ppl who went unmedicated. For longer than i care to think about. Back then i didnt have FM. My issues were the 6 herniated discs...the nerve route compression...the spinal stenosis and arthritis in my back. To this day I bless the brave doctor who rx'ed my 1st narcotic. He literally saved my life. Of course i wasnt on what i take now. Far from it. Now i take a long acting med 3x a day with the percocets for breakthru. It wasnt touching the pain. Thank goodness it has eased up tho im still bedridden. I have a dr appt tomorrow. Im not seeking more meds...i had other symptoms with this that i want answers to. I hope i get them. And i hope those dealing with unmedicated pain find a brave dr. I know exactly how they feel.
  9. spacee

spacee Member

My brother doesn't have FM but does have "mortal agony" with disk problems. Can't work.
    Was a MD. it was terrible. Moved in with mother cause he couldn't work.

His was cause by a suba diving HELMET being yanked off his head too roughly. Needed
    a cortizone shot for it way back then...1980's I think.

Long story, he goes to the VA and a woman who remembered him from med school took
    him under her wing and they figured out how to keep him out of agony.

Neurontin plus tramadol (about 8 a day). The neurontin dose is high (can't remember what)

Something like that MIGHT help your sciatica but I don't think it is the solution to FM.
    Might be one of you 'circle of friends" as I refer to them.

I remember some years ago a PA with FM. He worked in a Pain Management Clinic. He
    said that he rotated his patients every three months to different pain meds so they
    wouldn't build up a tolerance.

Oh, hard!!! I am just about in tears for you, myself!!

(((Gentle Hugs)))

10. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

So many much pain. Either unmedicated or UNDERmedicated. I feel like one of the lucky ones. Sometimes i think when youre younger, they dont take your pain seriously. My back problems started when i was 16. Suffice to say it got much worse. Thank all of you for your kind words and understanding. Being understood counts a LOT.