Am I wrong to think this???????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Betsy2, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I keep thinking that if I only took off all this weight that I wouldn't have all these aches, pains and co-existing conditions. I try so hard to exercise when I am able but some days my muscles won't tolerate the exercise. Besides when I do exercise, I seem to get a rush of energy and a few hours later extreme fatigue sets in. Like everyone else, I want answers on how to stop all this pain from the FM and fatigue from the CFS but I haven't found a fool proof solution. Am I wrong to think that losing the weight will rid the pain?
  2. darlamk

darlamk New Member

but it makes sense that it would help with the stress on our joints etc. I know what you mean about feeling good while you are getting aerobic. I feel that way too but then "pay for it" later with multiple aches and pains, faitigue and stiffness. I have just started back into water exercise and have to advance slowly due to wimpiness! I am seriously looking at Yoga & Pilates too. All that stretching has got to help. I think we all have to learn to pace ourselves better - many of us have the attitude to go like he** cuz we are going to hurt anyway but after awhile that does not work any more! Good luck on your wt loss!
    Take care,
    Darla
  3. Quequay

Quequay New Member

I know what you are going through. I can't do aerobic exercises are anything jarring because of the pain in my chest and breasts and my TMJ of the jaw so I have cut out carbs and sugar to lose weight except the meds make you gain. I keep thinking if I lose as much as I can there won't be that much left to hurt. I often think of getting a masectomy (breast removal) surgery so I can get rid of the pain.
    I was hoping to have answers by now being that I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago but I am still in as much pain as back then. I wonder how I ever made it this far and the thought of more months and years of this is to much to bear. I am not considered overweight but I think the less area of body I have the less area to hurt. It's probably best to eat healthy and try to keep some type of exercise going. I have been doing yoga for about a year and that does help loosen my muscles.

I am going to the doctor in an hour and I am going to lay it all out.

Just keep coming here for support.
    I will certianly be thinking of you and hoping your pain goes away.
    --Kristen
  4. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I want you to know that I feel bad for you. I know how you feel about wondering if you did this or that maybe things would get better. I am sure that it would help to lose some weight for many reasons. But I just do not want you to feel terribly guilty about your weight either. People get this in all shapes, sizes, and colors. This DD happens to every type of people. I don't know if it will make you feel better but I am not overweight at all. And I still feel the effects of this DD. I just don't want you to tear yourself up over your weight okay. Take care and be good to yourself okay.
    Joannie
  5. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

There is not a right, or wrong, way to think!! You are certainly entitled to you own thoughts what ever thay may be. Information is the key. Know your Fms, read all the info have at the Library here on this site.

Keep on asking questions and we will try to give you answers. That is what we do. Let me share with you a little
    about my own experience, maybe it will help?

I am near 60, have had a large family , and have had FMS for 28 yrs.First, I had to find peace, and not stress about things.(Easier said than done) I embraced my faith, and drew strenth from that. By keeping centered, I was able to start to seek a form of treatment, and not stay discouraged when I failed.It wasn't untill I came to this Site, that I found the information that helped me feel better!

The support was essential, and I love it.I don't feel the desperate isolation. The Library here is unbelievable. It is a wealth of info. I did research for 4 months and kept a journal of all I learned. I took the information to my Dr.
    and talked To her with an intelligence about my own desease. She listened, and Helped me select the proper meds. First I had to do my home work.

Now to answer your Question: Yes, wieght is important. I should know, I am 260 lbs, and 5'4" tall. Now I feel well enough to deal with the weight. Untill now, the only comfort I had was in food. I sure had enough pain to deal with. I used the food to self medicate. So, since I have found a pain med to help, and a sleep med to help, I feel able to take on another challenge. I was so sleep deprived too, that I couldn't think.

There are no absolute answers that apply to everyone, that is why this DD is so hard to diagnose and treat. Each individual is unique in this illness. Not all cancer victims are the same? Please feel free to talk anytime.

1maqt
    [This Message was Edited on 01/10/2003]
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

can only improve your condition, not worsen it. Could be too that the foods you are eating that cause the extra weight, are causing more pain. I hear many here say that when they cut sugar out of their diet, their pain subsides somewhat.

Marilyn :)
  7. Teresa6868

Teresa6868 New Member

is how I view it. I quit smoking right before this FM dx and was already battling weight gain and now my meds. are making me feel like a whale. I have always felt if my weight was under control it would be a fix all for everything, but I really don't think losing weight would make all this pain dissappear, it would just make us healtier people to have FM, hummmmm does that even make sense??? LOL as I continue on with a good diet, a little exercise and alot of weight gain.

Hugs, Teresa
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Getting rid of excess weight does make one feel a lot better, but we cannot do it like the rest of the population. First, we have to listen to our own bodies and find exercise that will not deplete our energy. This requires patience and trial and error. We need resistance training and some kind of aerobic activity (walking, swimming, aqua aerobics, biking, etc.)

Many with FMS have reactive hypoglycemia and we do better without the sugar, white flour, white rice, and processed foods. The Atkins or Suzanne Somers diets seem to work well. Some here have done well on The Zone Diet. I have lost 24 pounds on the Suzanne Somers diet and my blood pressure and lipids have returned to normal even though I eat butter, cream, and red meat. Eating fat doesn't make one fat; eating carbs makes one fat, increases insulin in the system, leading to Type II Diabetes, increases blood pressure, and increases cholesterol, triglicerides, and the ratio of bad cholesterol to good cholesterol.

Love, Mikie
  9. laurakay

laurakay New Member

It's interesting, because I'm not overweight, in fact I weigh less than I did before I had my daughter two years ago. Whoever said that this happens to people in all shapes and sizes is right!!! I'm sure that losing weight can't hurt anybody if they have weight to lose, I just wouldn't expect it to be a cure-all. Incidentally, even though I am not overweight, I have high cholesterol and triglycerides, so I need to exercise more, too, and I can't bring myself to do it because I am so tired by the end of the day and in pain! :(

Laura
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It isn't necessary to be overweight to have lipid problems. Some are genetic and some are caused by insulin resistance; one needn't be overweight to have Syndrome X (insulin resistance). It is still a good idea to avoid refined sugars. People who are not overweight can have complex carbs and whole grains.

Exercise can be stretching and flexing the muscles while watching TV or lying in bed. It's better than nothing and helps to keep us toned, strong, and flexible. Aerobic exercise usually does help with lipids and high blood pressure, but we need to be careful and not overdo.

Love, Mikie
  11. teach6

teach6 New Member

It seems logical that if we lose weight we will feel better. Maybe it was rotten timing, but when I finished a two and a half year weight loss of 90 pounds I found myself sicker than ever before and ended up with dx's of CFS and FM. At least I can say the weight is making it worse now!

Barbara
  12. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I just want to let everyone know that I read each and every post to date in reply to my posting. I appreciate all the support I get here. It makes me feel good that I have somewhere to go that people can relate to how I feel and be honest. God bless all of you!

Betsy2
  13. kellbo

kellbo New Member

You don't say how overweight you are, but just to let you know that I lost 20 lbs. (on a 5'3" frame and reduced my Body Mass Index to a healthy level) and I didn't notice any reduction in pain. I've since gained it back because my fatigue has gotten worse (although exercise used to make me feel better, I can't go longer than 10 minutes on the treadmill any more) and I don't notice that the pain has increased.

And skinny people have CFS/FM, too, so don't stress about your weight- do try and eat healthfully, but I do know that stress does make the pain worse!

Losing weight is good for all of us, but not if it makes you feel worse because you're exercising to much.
  14. dlizard

dlizard New Member

and I still have just the same amount of pain and fatigue that i did before the weight loss... I exercise about an hour a day ( aerobic) and it has taken me about a year to get to this point... I fight all the pains and just go do it.. you'll definitely loose weight but you loose energy too... I have far less energy after exercising but the doc says go..... Good luck!