Amantadine instead of the missing kutapressin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cma331, Aug 24, 2003.

1. cma331

cma331 New Member

Been e mailing my doc all weekend...cause i have been so sick w/o the kutapressin.....she said she is going to substitute Amantadine........Has anybody been using this? Would love to hear the pros and cons...anyone elses doc using it instead of KU?
    Carole
  2. paulalbert

paulalbert New Member

Carole,

I made a post earlier about a substitute for kutapressin, hepapressin.... It's interesting to me that your body reacted right away without the kutapressin. My understanding was that immunomodulators take time to do their immune shifting.

Paul

p.s. Reading medlineplus's take on Amantadine, it seems to have some nasty side effects along with the antiviral properties. I don't think anyone here ever had this kind of reaction to kutapressin.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some people have had remarkable results with TF beyond what is provided with the antiviral meds. There is a Transfer Factor forum here and ProHealth sells several TF's.

Love, Mikie
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

and so the holistic doctor who prescribed agreed I should stop taking it. It was over 15 years ago now so I can't remember how it affected me just that the Dr concerned felt it just wasn't worth it.

You may have better luck.

Immune and transfer factors are growing in popularity, and there are other products that are being used by those doctors who treat these DD proactively.

Good luck.

Tansy
  5. cma331

cma331 New Member

Paulaalbert.....Re the hepapressin....Isn't that what Dr. Derek
    Enlander is using on his patients? Which he had compounded for his use only?? I e mailed him....he just said to make an appt. with his office......
    Carole
  6. beckster

beckster New Member

Am looking for an antiviral (I take transfer factor and other immune things but they don't do much for me).
    thanks in advance
  7. simple

simple New Member

Carole,
    Because Kutapressin is not available, I asked my doc for an alternative and she recommended Amantadine. So I was on it for about a month. But it was messing up my bowel system... I was cocnstantly going to bathroom for about 4 hours after taking it everyday. I stuck with it for 1 month and decided to stop. I've been off of it for about a month now and I don't see noticable changes. I'm going to continue not taking it for one more month, then get a blood test done and see if my viral count is up since my last visit which was 3 months ago. I hate to take prescription medicine if I can avoid it... and it was not doing that much good so I decided for myself not taking it is a better choice. As we all know, it's a matter of trial and error. Hope this helps you.
  8. paulalbert

paulalbert New Member

Exactly right. Dr. Enlander's formula is exactly as you described it.

Paul
  9. Cabbie

Cabbie New Member

I've been taking Amantadine for about 2 years; the dr. gave it to me for the fatigue. He said it's used for people with narcolepsy. I've had no problem with it, although it does make me a little constipated, but the magnesium I take counteracts that.

I take one when I get up in the morning(about7-8:00am), then another about 4:00 pm. It takes away the headache and brain fog that I wake up with every day, and helps me feel as though I can get through the day. I don't know if it's really giving me more energy; I still have to nap every afternoon for about an hour. Just getting rid of the headache and brain fog is great.

I always get it in a gel-type capsule form, but once the pharmacy gave it to me in a tablet form, and that made me weak, dizzy, nauseaous - and it was the same strength and all - maybe a different manufacturer. So I stick to the gel-capsules.

Cabbie