Amazing Crazy Numbers!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rafiki, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Take 1000 and add 40 to it. Now add another 1000. Now add 30. Add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000. Now add 10. What is the total?

Have you got it? Pretty simple, actually. Why not add it up again, IN YOUR HEAD, just to make sure. Got it? Ok, now check it on a calculator.

[This Message was Edited on 12/14/2008]
  2. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Huh? The answer that I get both ways is 4,100. Am I missing someting? Denamay
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

If you come back can you remove reference to numbers so others have an opportunity to experience it for themselves, please.

I'm interested in how many, like me got... well, the answer I got!

Thanks my little brainiaks,
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Actually I deleted my posts as they were of a very terse nature, so to speak. W/o the numbers there was no substance left.

5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

An erasure of anything Rock is a sad event! And, to think, I asked for it! Sigh.

I find it really interesting that certain things are obvious one way but not another.

There must be some kind of law regarding inertia and thought.

6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

you did, Cate. ;~)

I got them over and over again! I find it so interesting that thought works in a sufficiently predictable manner as to make these experiences possible.

I find the brain the most interesting organ. Even our brains! Ok, maybe especially ours but most people do just what we did

7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I'm much better w/ word puzzles than with numbers. I had a boss who was good with both.
    And on top of that, he was a miserable human being who still owes me money.

Whatta guy!

It's rainy and cold (by our standards) here in LA. Good day to sit in front of the fireplace and eat frosting right outta the can.

8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

That was really interesting!

[This Message was Edited on 12/17/2008]
  9. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

My 12 year old daughter got the correct amount (for the first one) adding it up in her head but I didn' embarrassing!!!
  10. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

the thousands first and then the small change you get the right answer... it's all about the order. I was so surprised when I found out the answer was not $5000. I checked it and still got $5000. I love stuff like this!

Rock <3

11. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Got £5000 on both but then read down and saw that this isn't correct???

I'm going to do it on piece of paper.

Wow how stupid......of course these numbers don't add up to another 1,000.

I enjoyed that.

[<i>This Message was Edited on 12/21/2008</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/21/2008]
  12. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Rosiebud, you got GBP! How many $s is that?!

It's an interesting exercise, isn't it. It's all about rhythm, I think. I was totally certain that I was right, too. :~)

Happy Merry,

13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

What a fun thing to do on a cold winter's night. Maybe that should be a bitterly cold winter's night!!

Does this have anything to do with order of operations or is that only when you have more than one operation (+.-,x and /.)?

I think I ended up with the correct number.

Thanks for the fun.

Happy holidays to all and to all a good nights sleep!!

14. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

You ROCK!!
    Give us some more. I love getting the answers from you....then giving the problems to my husband, seeing if he can solve them, when he doesn't, I just whip off the answer like I knew it all along.... heehee.

I'm waiting...........................
    but, just so you know, patience is NOT one of my best qualities. LOL