Amazing Horse video, What happened to all the horse lovers??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by morningsonshine, Jan 13, 2007.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Hope it plays for you, it did pause a couple times on me, but them continued.

It's worth the wait, once it plays all the way once it worked better for me.

The flying frenchman

This man must live with his horses, to have this much control, with such freedom.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/14/2007]
  2. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

I posted you about it on my thread : )

3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

that was an amazing horse shoe.How the guy manages to stay on the horses is beyond me.thanks
  4. morningsonshine

5. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Nice video I bet it's a great show. Can't imagine standing on horses' backs over jumps!

I notice he uses some kind of stick like many of the natural horseman these days.

Thanks for the link.

6. morningsonshine

Yes your right, the stick is used as an aid, for cueing, like an extension of the hand.

Not for discipline, or punishment.

It's important to know the difference of how it can be used, because some critizes the use of any whip, under the assumption, it is used for beating the horse or punishment, that would be an improper use.

These horses are not being controled by fear, they are willing partners, that have learned to play with there human.

The very last shot shows him on them at complete liberty, it is a matter of trust between the horse and the rider.

7. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Yeah I know all about the "stick" as I am a Parelli student (or was).

I just find it interesting how many different people are using one and I wonder who started it all. I know a lot of the original natural horsemen used ropes/lariats to create the pressure.

I think Pat Parelli said he started his clinics that way but found too many people had no experience with lariats so he developed the carrot stick. Don't know if he was actually the first though.

8. morningsonshine

I can't really say Parelli is my favorite, when it comes to the natural horsemanship. I learned from and enjoyed his wife way more at an expo!!

He is too much into Showmanship (showing off) and buy my expensive stuff!!

I bought yacht braid and made my own ropes and halters for 1/3 of his cost.

Linda tellington jones also uses the carrot stick, and i think parelli may have actually borroweded from her. Where she came up with it, I have no idea!!

Some of the quieter, less known people i have learned more from. Frank Bell, Buck Brannamen.

The thing alot of people may not realize is all this stuff is not some new things, Horse Whispers have alway been around since man and horse got together. The Dorrance brothers, are the ones alot of the modern teachers started from.

P.S. I do think Parelli has alot of thing to offer too, just don't personally care for his style. I do have his older Level one kit.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2007]
  9. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I have yet to see them in person but I watch their TV show and I agree with what you say. I guess I see them as a team: he is the showman. He has a lot of skill but he needs an interpreter (Linda) to get the message out. I think her background as a corporate trainer makes her the superior teacher.

I have seen Clinton Anderson, Monty Roberts and part of others' presentations at Equine Affaire before I got sick. I was very impressed with Clinton, of course he uses many of the same techniques. If I were a western rider and had interest in reining I would follow him more closely.

I guess the thing that most impressed me with Parelli is how much their students accomplish. Plus I started out following a lot of John Lyons methods(he is very popular in my area) and they just didn't work with my very smart, confident gelding. He would lift his foot (turn his head, or whatever) the first few times and then would go on strike. He gets bored very quickly.

Have you read Monty Roberts book? I found it fascinating. I have not read any of Tom Dorrance or Buck Brannaman work although of course I know the names. Not sure if I'm familiar with Frank Bell or if my faulty memory is to blame.

Now if I could only get well enough to play with my horses....

10. morningsonshine

I'm really enjoying this discussion with you, but i have to go for the rest of the day.

Will post more later.

I dream of riding again, i had to quit using my round pen because it caused me to have motion sickness. Lately i just look out the window at them.

Eye candy.
  11. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Sometimes I think I'll never be able to ride again and think I should get rid of my two. But going out to feed them is often the only time I get outside. Even though it is really hard some days I think the physical toll is much less damaging than the mental toll of selling them.

I am a little worried that owning them will be used against me in applying for SSDI. Oh well...

I could never part with them and I love to watch them run and play from my kitchen. Of course right now we've had a hard freeze after horrible rains so they're barely walking anywhere and doing the "ouchy" foot thing.

12. morningsonshine

My yard and pasture is the same way, coated in ice.

I have three, and at this point i have no idea why i bought a young spanish mustang. I can't do anything with her. But i too really love watching them out there, and my family helps me feed them, but sometime i think i shouldn't burden them with this.

I hope it dosen't effect your SSDI.

I'm so tired, i'm really having a hard time even posting, right now, but when i'm feeling better i will be looking for you.

13. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I know exactly what you mean. Last weekend my Dh who really couldn't care less about the horses was very sweet. He cleaned out all the manure from the shed, stripped out the old bedding in the stalls and then put in new bedding. He also attempted to fix the electric fence.

These are all things that I used to do for myself. I rarely had to ask for help except if I needed an extra set of hands to fix something. I even did most of the converting of a machine shed into a run-in with two stalls myself. I'm very handy with power tools.

I hate asking him for help but he's usually pretty good about it.

Hope you feel better soon.