Amazing portraits of dogs and cats

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rafiki, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

My friend Piotr is a brilliant photographer. He has made a study of dogs and cats and his work is amazing.

Each portrait is of a character, not a generic dog or cat.

He has a slideshow here: which is fantastic!

PS I've seen a lot of links removed lately but I don't see why there should be a problem with this one. If there is just google "pet photography" and Piotr Organa will be the first hit.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I like the ones especially taken out in the field, looking like 'real dogs' LOL!

3. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

PORTRAITS! I'm currently trying to photograph my (inherited) cat and trying to make it look really appealing (like with a HALO), because I want to use it for a Craigslist ad seeking a "better" home. I like this crazy cat, but I still think I'd rather have a PICTURE of a cat than an actual cat. I really have hobbies I'm longing to at long last pursue, and this cat gets between me and anything I'm interested in, like tipping over the watercolor water jar and running off with my brushes!

I digress. The dog portraits were totally amazing and I looked at everyone....he really captured a personality on each one. The diversity of form in the dog world is truly mind-blowing. I just watched the end of some program tonite on PBC, Nova, I think, and it was about dogs and their amazing variety, more than any other living species. Great show, it may be a series as they talked about next week's show and it will be more dog lore.

Just looked it up; name of tonite's show was NATURE.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2008]
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I tried. No workee.

Maybe tomorrow.

5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

It's almost spooky, actually. The dogs can be especially unnerving. You are so aware that there is a keen intelligence and spirit in there. I know a lot of these dogs and, in each case, the expression on the dog's face is truly who that dog is.

In case there is any confusion, it's not a clickable link; it's a cut and paste link.

6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I think that one of the things that makes these portraits so engaging is that he really focuses on the face and many are close-ups and extreme close-ups. Also, in many cases the subject is staring right into the lens.

Have you tried a close-up (head only) and keep talking to your Pussy Cat until she is looking right in the lens.

Good luck to you and Kitty,
  7. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

Last night I cropped several of the photos I already have to see what kind of close portrait I would have. I was looking for character and soul; he has plenty of character. The results were frightening, satanic almost. (hyperbole)

I'd try to start afresh with some close-ups, but Kittie is greased lightning.

Probably we are doomed partners, locked forever in this cat-and-mouse game. Me, the mouse. (cat goes...GOTCHA!)
  8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I must say that your description of Kitty's antics with the brushes seemed terribly amusing to me. No hyperbole.

Of course, Marta will attest to the fact that I am always encouraging people to keep crazy cats. So, consider the source when I say, he sounds like a lot of fun!

Easy for me, I'm allergic :~)

9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Very cool!

Took four tries. Finally found it by searching for Pet Photography, Organa.

Turns out Pete has a whole page of web sites. He provides other services like walking your dog too.

Great photographs. I'm gonna spread the news to the other pet lovers I know.

Thanks, Rafiki

10. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Glad you saw them! They rock, don't they, Rock? I think the Weimaraners are fantastic!

Piotr doesn't walk dogs or do anything other than photograph them.

I'm gonna check... ah, it's a page of links for other pet services in the area. I live smack in the middle of dog heaven.

When one sees someone walking in the 'hood without a dog, one immediately thinks their dog must be lost! It is only on second thought that one considers they may not have had one in the first place :~)

Peace out,

11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I bet you can guess where a lot of these pic.s were taken. Does that sand look familiar to you?

I'm enjoying many of the terrific contributions you make to the board. You have actually recommended a book by someone I know and others by people I have met. (I have links to CanLit.) Nice to see so many references to home.

Here's to Ontariariario!
  12. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

I watched it start to finish then sent the link to my granddaughter, she's a dog/cat softie too.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful show. Some of the expressions were truly priceless.

13. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I love sharing his work with people. I think he has a wonderful and unusual gift.

He's also very humble and doesn't think it has much to do with him but everything to do with dogs just being dogs. He has a dog, a Corgi named Winter, and a cat. He sees dogs the way he photographs them -- as intelligent, complex beings full of personality.

What I love about his photographs is that they are not simply pictures of pets but actual portraits of individual characters. I think I said, early in this thread, that I know most of these dogs and this is exactly who they are. He is the Yousuf Karsh of canines!

14. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

It makes me feel ridiculously happy to share Piotr's work. I'm practically clapping my hands over here. I can be such a fool! :~)

Oh, Kina, what can anyone say. I don't get it, I don't get it and I don't get it! Soon there will be an ignore button.

Peace to you,
  15. springwater

springwater Active Member

Sorry posting so late....Id looked at the portraits some time back and then the lights went off when trying to post a reply. (The lights go off every few hours now here) I loved all the portraits...and what INTERESTING friends you seem to be having!!!

Ani Pema (by the way I saw one of her books in a store some days back)

and now

Monsieur Piotr...

(i do hope the tick problem is solved by the way and that daughter is doing well).

God Bless
  16. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I hope you are doing well. Very nice to "see" you! :~)

I do hope I did not give you the impression that I "know" Pema Chodron! I wish I did but I don't. She has an Abbey here in Canada (Gampo Abbey, Nova Scotia) and it is my fondest wish to spend time there one day.

Piotr walks his dog on the beach just down the street from my apt. He has taken a couple of pictures of my wee dog which are amazing! And, he has given them to me as gifts which is very kind of him.

He's a lovely soul and the animals can sense that. I think that's a big piece of how he gets them to reveal themselves.

Peace to you and yours, including all your dogs!

ETA The mite problem is ongoing. I knew I forgot to answer something -- denial!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2008]
  17. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

You know, of course, that most of those who accuse us of anthropomorphizing believe that animals have no sense of self! Poppycock, I say!

Sometimes I think that the reason they cannot "speak" in any human tongue is because they know things we do not and are not meant to... perhaps because we are not ready. It would seem that I go a step beyond anthropomorphizing!

Anywho... you are right to assume that they are who they appear in the photos. Piotr knows many of the dogs in the photographs, personally, not just for the time it takes to photograph. We all frequent the same off leash dog beach (1 city block from me - I'm so lucky!) and it amazes me to see the characters I know so well portrayed in moments which capture the very essence of their personality.

I am such a fan of Piotr, can you tell :~)

Take care of Terch!

18. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

That poem is so beautiful! It is also so terrible. That is the trick, perhaps: to see always the terrible beauty and chose to soften rather than harden the heart.

Thank you so much also for the wonderful quote!

I will go and read again.

Thank you, thank you...