AMBIEM----STILL WAITING TO FALL ALSLEEP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CATLADY912, Jan 1, 2003.

1. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

I SAW THE TIP OF THE DAY ABOUT AMBIEN. I TOOK MY AMBIEN TONIGHT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 5 DAYS AND I'M WAITING TO FEEL THAT SLEEPIE FEELING BUT IT HAS NOT COME YET AND THAT WAS 1 HOUR AND 30 MINUTES AGO.

I FELT PRETTY GOOD TODAY UP TILL ABOUT 6PM THEN BOTH KNEES STARTED TO ACHE REAL BAD AND THATS WHEN IT WAS POURING DOWN RAIN HERE.

MY QUESTION TONIGHT IS, HAS ANYONE HERE GOTTEN FIBRO AFTER HAVING A GALLBLADDER SURGERY, OR GONE THRU WITH TREATMENT FOR HYPERTHYROIDISM? I READ SOME WHERE THAT IT COULD HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE HYPERTHYROIDISM.

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, AFTER I LOGGEED IN I FORGOT TO TAKE THEM OFF.

BUT MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT THE WORST THING FOR FIBRO WAS TO BE UNDER ALLOT OF STRESS. I HAVE NOTICED THAT TO BE TRUE AND I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO RELAX REAL GOOD. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY NEEDED AND I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE WHO HAS REPLYED TO MY POSTS. YOU JUST DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH BETTER YOU MAKE ME FEEL. THANKS ALLOT. CATLADY912/JANICE
  2. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

CatLady, It's 2:00am now, I took an ambien at 12am. Sometimes it happens, othertimes it knocks me out...
    Rain! Rain!...Storms make Pain! I have a liquid barometer in the kitchen to warn me of approaching high and low fronts, so I know what to expect from my body.
    I have not had gallbladder surgery, nor treatment for hyperthyroidism...My mom had a goiter removed...I have one...I am always asking my Dr. to check my blood, but so far,it has been normal. Look up Hyperthyroidism-the diet for it is very good.*
    Get a tape on Relaxation, where the moderator works you through a "tensing-relaxing" of the muscles, from the hands to the feet. You close your eyes and also hear ocean music. Ask around, and see if you can find one!
    Are you asleep yet??? smile
    do you have cats?
  3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Also, it seems that a high proportion of people with FMS have a tendency to react in bizarre ways to medications. Ambien guarantees that I will stay wide awake for several hours after taking it. The best thing I have found to relax me is a hot bath with epsom salts. I turn off the bathroom lights and light some scented candles, turn on some relaxing music, and just soak. Now that I am no longer working, I don't worry about when I sleep. I just doze off whenever. I never had that option before. It really is the best part of being retired. I have never had a problem with my gallbladder or thyroid. My fibro appeared after a traffic accident.
    Kathryn
  4. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

Kathryn, My fibro started after a motorcycle accident.....
    now I have FMS/MPS combo. Right now I'm going crazy with pain. I'll have to go Relax!!!!
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...makes me feel too weird! But I have strange drug side effects. Also, isn't Ambien the drug that induces sleep, but interferes with the "right kind" of stage 4 sleep we really need to recover & heal? This is what I have always understood, most FM docs don't recommend it for daily use (maybe occasionally). I don't have a lot of sleep suggestions, I do like a really warm bath before trying to sleep. Used to use benedryl (25mg. OTC antihistimine) for sleep, this is safe for stage 4 sleep, but I am "dried out" from Sjogren's syndrome & antihistimines just made that worse!

Good luck, Janice, I hope you find some good sleep & a way to relax...hard for lots of us...

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. karen55

karen55 New Member

with no success. My doc wanted to give me an Rx for Restoril, which my husband takes maybe once or twice a week, but I don't want to get into that habit; I'm on enough meds. The Zanaflex with Elavil help me sleep at night, and as they say "if it's not broke, don't fix it".
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

A good therapist has methods to help you learn how to destress. Meditation, Yoga, and Tai Chi are also good. Many of us have brains which are in a constant state of slight seizure and it can cause anxiety regardless of what we do. I had this problem which was causing panic attacks, insomnia, tinnitus, and sensory overload. It can also contribute to RLS. It wasn't until I started taking Klonopin, after trying everything else, that I got relief.

Read Dr. Cheney's article in our Library on Klonopin. It does a really good job of explaining this in easy-to-understand language.

Love, Mikie