Ambien Amnesia anyone???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Astarte, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Astarte

Astarte New Member

Yes, it's true. You've probably all heard about that late night eating and not remembering? Well it gets worse.

I have had conversations with people while I'm in the kitchen, like me teenagers. I even poured one of them a shot of tequilla and had no recolition of doing it! I was humiliated when they told me.

Then I told them they could paint a robot on the side of the dresser! I found empty bowls of cereal or ice cream in my room the next morning, candy wrappers and thought it was my husband. Now i know why I gained weight and when I tried to diet I never lost a pound!

My new Rheumy told me about this, and switched me to something else for sleep. I should be losing weight, and sleeping better!

My new DR is the BEST! More later on him...I'll post it differently but have to go for a bit.

Star
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Asrarte:

I got int the alcohol bit and it did not do a thing for me except coming her and going in for self-help and telling my doctor.

Whether you had tequila with the guys is something I hope you did not have.

I am sure you will get good advise.

Take care of it, hon. Please.

nyrofan
  3. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

My god, my DH has been on Ambien to help him sleep and he does things in the weee hours of the early morning like eating ice cream and it seems anything he can get his hands on sometimes and then falls asleep somewhere else in the house- I told his doctor she said cut him done in dosage.. I wish he wouldn't even have to take them- her falls at times, too. Just more to have to worry abput.

Good you are getting off them, wish my DH would.
    Janet
  4. ckball

ckball New Member

I am taking ambein cr and I have more memory loss than on the other ambien. I found posts on this board that I don't remember posting. I live alone so I don't know what else I have done.

The craziest thing I did was hang a ceiling fan. I started out just by taking it out of the box and getting it ready to install the next day. I have put up at least 10 of these things so I really could do it in my sleep,lol

I got up the next morning and was like wow. Very scary because I did it standing on top of circular pedestal table.

Carla
  5. Astarte

Astarte New Member

Yes, CKBall, I've done other things like emailing and not remembering anything I'd done at all. Buying something on ebay and not remembering but seeing the bookmark and that I won the bid.

And NO, I didn't drink the tequilla. I had it the night before. I love it but occassionaly and for sipping the very high quality type. It's like some people who like very good brandy or cognac.

Anyone who has this problem shoud seek advice from another doctor if their own won't change the medication to something else.

My mom told me of a woman in San Diego who let a man from her apartment complex in and he raped her. Since she let him in she couldn't press charges. She slept in her car, still taking Ambien, and finally her doctor put the 2 together and changed her meds. Can you imagine?

My friend told me her husband does the eating at night. He has left the refridgerator door open, left food on the counters, mixed all kind of concoctions...what do you think about nail polish and ice cream? Kid you not.

Star
  6. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

You are not crazy it really does happen!!!!

I was on Ambien CR right after my son was born and some very scary stuff happened.

I would eat, be intimate with my husband, post on here, email, talk on phone, shower, scrapbook, make cards, clean..... all while being on the Ambein.

The next morning I would find evidence of the night before and have NO memory of it at all!!!! That was very scary!!

The final straw for me was when I woke up one morning to find that I had cut my hair in my sleep.

That was it. I didn't want to have anything to do with the medication anymore. Who knew what I was capable of doing while being on the medication.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know you aren't alone!

(((HUGS)))

kate
  7. Astarte

Astarte New Member

What upsets me is that my medical doctor blew me off when I asked her about it, she looked me like I was nuts!

This drug should be taken off the market. I can't imagine what could happen if I or anyone else got into a car. Who I could hurt, let along myself. It's very scary.

The tten I offered the tequila to is a new Foster Child and that is so far from who I am. Not like me at all. There was allot at stake for this action, her care is in my hands. I did explain it to her as soon as I found this out. She knows me well enough to know I wouldn't put her life in jeopardy. I am so embarrassed and do have an attorney checking into getting this pulled off the market. Or at least put out a warning to consumers and doctors.

And yes, I'm calling my doctor to let her know I wasn't going crazy.

Thanks Kate for telling me your experience.
    Star
  8. Astarte

Astarte New Member

What upsets me is that my medical doctor blew me off when I asked her about it, she looked me like I was nuts!

This drug should be taken off the market. I can't imagine what could happen if I or anyone else got into a car. Who I could hurt, let along myself. It's very scary.

The tten I offered the tequila to is a new Foster Child and that is so far from who I am. Not like me at all. There was allot at stake for this action, her care is in my hands. I did explain it to her as soon as I found this out. She knows me well enough to know I wouldn't put her life in jeopardy. I am so embarrassed and do have an attorney checking into getting this pulled off the market. Or at least put out a warning to consumers and doctors.

And yes, I'm calling my doctor to let her know I wasn't going crazy.

Thanks Kate for telling me your experience.
    Star
  9. libra55

libra55 New Member

I was on Ambien and would get up and cook whole meals and bake cakes in the middle of the night, and evidently eat it all too! Before I go to bed at night I make sure my kitchen is clean. I would get up in the morning and find this horrible mess of dirty pots and pans and dishes and not know who dunnit!

At the time I was working part-time as a proofreader at an advertising company right here in town. Every afternoon at 4pm I would pick up my jobs and bring them home to be done at night and returned the next day. One afternoon I thought I had forgotten to go pick up my work. Frantic, I dashed outside to get in the car only to find my package of proofs sitting on the bench on my front porch. So I called my boss and said something like I'm sorry, thanks for dropping off the work. There was a long pause on the phone. She said, you were here and picked it up at 4, what's wrong with you. I made some kind of lame joke but I was really worried.

I began to have all sort of episodes where people would say they had seen me in the market, or the drug store, and I would not remember seeing them or talking to them. I got more and more concerned about it. Thought I was having strokes or something.

About that time I stopped the Ambien because I felt sleepy all the time, and the weird stuff stopped happening. I never told the doctor, until I began to read about others having the same experiences as me, and then I begged him not to give it to anyone else.

Imagine I was driving around like that too. Scary.

Michelle
  10. LonelyHearts

LonelyHearts New Member