Ambien amnesia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joyfully, Apr 30, 2008.

1. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Hi. Is anyone else on Ambien? Do you eat during the middle of the night and not know this until the next morning? I do.

Do you come to this board and type a response in the middle of the night and not know you did it until the next day? I do.

I've even been know to work on carpentry projects in the middle of the night.

My hubby teases me and says that I've slept on the driveway. I KNOW that isn't true, but he likes to tease me with that one.

I have actually awakened in the morning to find my PJs stained with chocolate pudding! I've cooked and eaten the pudding without any recollection of doing it. This happens with some regularity.

Today, I'm trying Lunesta again to replace the Ambien. I'll let you know if this alternate drug reduces the night eating.

I have RA. I don't need this extra weight! I work so hard during the day to stay on the South Beach Diet, and I negate any progress with the amenia night eating. I don't think this is the same as sleep walking, is it????

2. sisland

sisland New Member

Holy Smokes!,,,,,I've Heard of this Happening to Folks,,Kind of Dangerous!,,,,Hope your switched to Lunesta by Now!,,,,,

I saw where a guy actualy Got in his car and drove down to a local convience store and bought some junk food and then drove home!,,,,all while asleep!,,,Scarey that Ambien!,,,,,If a med is causing you to sleep walk,,,,,,i don't think it's the same as sleep walking without a med on board,,,,,,,,,S
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

You take Ambien for exactly the same reason I do---the very deep sleep that you get on it.

Since the thyroid cancer surgery, the concussion, the injury to my jaw from the fall that required I eat NO_CHEW foods for 2 months--------------------I've gained a whopping 40 pounds.

I'm trying so hard to lose this darn weight gain because it wreaks havoc on my arthritic joints. What little ground I accomplish during the day, I lose at night with the sleep eating.

I don't know if I will get the recuperative sleep , that deep deep sleep that you get on the Ambien. The ambien is powerful enough to allow me to sleep through the physical pain of the rheumatoid arthritis. Why do we keep having to make these decisions?????? Why can't our medications have side effects like perfectly straight and white teeth, or increased brain power, or wrinkle remover, or something GOOD for a change?????

Sisland. I don't drive my car while on Ambien but I have been known to run power tools. I also climbed a ladder to the top of my 19 foot ceiling when I still lived in Atlanta. ( My Great Room had a 2 story ceiling on it) The sheet rock repair man was to come the next day and apply the second coat of joint compound. Was he surprised when he showed up and it was already done. he took his ladder with him after my Ambien stunt!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/01/2008]
  4. omeeomy

omeeomy New Member

I've been on Ambien for maybe 4yrs. I have very bad FM & arthirtis. Ambien is a blessing for me.

I stayed up for days at a time because of so much pain. I take my ambien when i go to bed i sleep until i wake up. Without it i could not stand my body.

In the area i live in the Drs will not hardly give you anything for pain because of drug use. I see my MD on a regular bases & see my Rhumey to. The only strange thing i've done is sleep.

I'm sure it's doesn't work the same for everybody but it sure helps me.

5. WOW I take it when I need it, never knew that to happen. However my husband says I am OUT for the count, and he lifts my arm to move it and it is heavy and limp.
  6. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Works very well for me. Nothing else gives me this good night's sleep. I take it about 4 nights a week. So far, I don't know that I do anything unusual while on it. Except, I did type a very strange message on the PMS thread here on ChitChat the other night before I went to bed. The Ambien was making me very sleepy and cross eyed but I just kept typing away. My post speaks for itself:)

7. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hey Neighbor,

Sorry that the Ambien has been so crazy for you. I hope the Lunesta is working out better for you. How is Rudy? Hope you can get out a little bit and enjoy the nice weather today.

8. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Hi Erica.
    Rudy and I had a SECOND accident a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if I told you that or not. I had to get 3 stitches above my other eye lid. I've also broken one of my toes and sprained two more. (and sprained my wrist).

I've just returned from a Cinco de Mayo Party 2 doors down from my house.

Lunesta. It doesn't work as well as the Ambien, BUT I'm not sleep eating on it either (knock on wood). I am waking up around 3:30 AM and have to work to get back to sleep. I also don't experience the "Ambien hang-over" in the morning now that I'm taking the Lunesta. So far, no night eating. Maybe now I'll stand a chance of losing weight if I'm not eating in the middle of the night!

I got Rudy his rattlesnake vaccination a couple days ago. he has to go in for a second booster in about a month. rudy isn't the brightest bulb in the box. If he spotted a snake, he would go after it. Until they finish building in the adjacent subdivision, we will continue to get the occasional rattle snake coming into our subdivision. They are getting displaced by the destruction of their present habitat.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/03/2008]
  9. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I used to take 10 mgs of ambien at night until my hubby and daughter started making fun of the stupid things I would do...and i would order stuff online and not remember...or type emails that were embarrassing the next day...and write nonsense in my journal..

i was afraid i would drive or something like that...and i always would eat in the night...

Now, i take 5 mgs and it takes me a few hours to fall asleep, I take pain meds and a xanax with about a medicine cocktail...i still occasionally do dumb stuff..and i always forget things hubby tells me after I am "ambiened" doesn't wear off until about 12 hours after I take it so i will forget things like phone calls or ? that happen in the early morning...

I have a daughter (with a disablility) that needs to be turned every few hours all night and I have a son that is a bed wetter and I am trying to wake him twice each night to go pee....or i have to change bedding once or twice a, i can't sleep all night, even if I wanted too!

I a afraid i wouldn't wake up to my daughter calling me or even the smoke detector...also, it sucks to have a child start throwing up in the night and all you can thinka bout it going back to bed cuz you are so whacked out on ambien...

i dream about going to a resort or hotel for a few nights so I can try to sleep a whole night without getting up for anyone...that would be wonderful!

hubby sleeps all night...i would like to kick his *ss but he runs his butt of with the kids during the day....and has a difficult I feel like he needs to sleep since I can sleep when the kids are at school...

man, i dread summertime....i have to try to stay awake all day until hubby gets home....myboys are the kind that need supervision all day...they think up all kinds of weird/destrructive things to do....i try to make them sit and watch tv for an hour or so , so i can rest and not worry for a stinkin hour!!! when does this swtage end? girls this age (11) are almost ready to 12 or 13...

anyways, ambien is a double edged sword...

good luck with whatever you decide! Pink
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Ambien scares me because it was never meant to be taken long term although docs now prescribe it as if it was.

Have you tried Trazadone? It works wonders for me and I get a good 8-9 hours of sleep a night.

11. joyfully

joyfully New Member

No, I haven't taken Trazadone. I looked it up. It is an antidepressant used to help anxiety attacks (causing sleeplessness). It boosts seratonin levels.

I'm sure there are other things it is probably used for too. I'm not what I would call an anxious person.

I'm supposed to go back to the Gyn. this week. I'm going to see if she will consider bumping up the dosage from 2 ---up to 2 1/2 or 3. I have taken Ambien for maybe 20 years every night. maybe 15 years????? I know it has been a long time. I can sleep through the pain with the Ambien.

I definitely don't have the Ambien hangover in the morning with the Lunesta. That is a good thing. knock on wood, I've not done my sleep eating on Lunesta. I desperately need to lose this 40 pounds. I can't believe it, 40 pounds. YIPES! I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life.
  12. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Glad you aren't having eating spells in the middle of the nite with the Lunesta. That's good news, but sorry you aren't sleeping as well. It's SO HARD to find the just the right med. I think it's nearly impossible, but I'm glad you're off the Ambien.

So sorry to hear about your 2nd accident with Rudy. The eye stitches sound awful. Joy, I'm a little worried about you. Promise me: no more accidents! I want you safe and sound my friend.

This weather is kind of interesting. I don't mind if it's dark and overcast if we get some decent rain. My allergies were acting up much more than usual last nite to the extent that I couldn't sleep. When I finally started getting tired, it started storming! I finally nodded off at 1:30 am or so. So much for good sleep. Ahhh well.

Be well,

13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

When my doc prescribed Trazadone for me he explained that it's basically useless for it's intended purpose because all it does is put people to sleep.

I don't have anxiety issues either, not even close, but it does work for a long, uninterrupted night's sleep.

14. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Thank you for further explaining the medication's purpose.

AT the moment, I'm a zombie. I didn't finish the Pentecostal Banner for my church service today until 3:30 AM last night. Then, I went to early service. I'm just numb.
  15. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You're very welcome...this medication has been a Godsend for me, 9 uninterrupted hours of sleep a night, every night.

Some people say it leaves a groggy effect in the morning, but I don't think they're giving it the time it needs. I take mine between 7-8 at night so I'm fully rested when I wake up and have had plenty of time for it to work.

16. momof27

momof27 New Member

17. ckball

ckball New Member

Stepping a little late here but wanted to put my 2 cents in and yes I have already taken my ambien about an hour ago.

I take the 12.5 mg ext release blue tabs. At first I took the reg 10 mg ambien and would wake up around 4 am and had a hard time getting back

The new ones took me longer to get to sleep but sleep longer in the morning. I split the pill and let disolve under my tonuge and it works best.

I have no contol over my eating while I am up but have never awakened to find missing food or dirty dishes. I jsut have to stay out of the kitchen after I take it.

Last night I needed to change a ring on my car keys, today I do look for my keys and no where to be found. Then it hit me that I went into the room that has all these pictures that I need to sort into families and there were my keys. I guess in my ambein fog I carried them in there and left them.

I usually go to bed about 12 and sleep until 10 or so and no hang over. They say not to cut or crush it, but it works better for me that way. Carla