Ambien..hangover?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by piebear, Dec 2, 2005.

1. piebear

piebear New Member

For the past 2 months I have been on Trazodone, each few weeks moving up in dosage. I was up to 150mg a few days ago but it didn't keep me asleep all night and I was starting to get a hangover, so my Rhuemy added 20mg of prozac which I took once a couple days ago. The prozac made me all jittery and gave me an anxiety attack so I said no more on both. I called my main doctor and he gave me some ambien to try.

I took 10mg for the first time last night and I actually slept all the way through (about 9 hours!! yay!) for the first time in weeks! I was soo happy. But that was dampened when I woke up with a bit of a hangover. Is that normal the first time you take it while you adjust? Or should I expect this all the time?
    Is it possible my body is still coming down off the other pills as well? I want it to work because its the first pill that has kept me alseep this long and all night. I've been looking for that for a long time.
    I hate this hangover though. I've had this for days now. The Trazodone and prozac both have left me so drugged the last few days. And on top of not sleeping well for weeks I'm bumping into walls big time. It really makes it hard to do things.

Any advice would appreciated thanks! =)
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2005]

[This Message was Edited on 12/02/2005]
  2. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I take Ambien with 1 Mirapex and 1 Elavil every night at 8 pm. I am sleeping by 10 pm and wake up at 6:45 am. I generally sleep fairly well now. I'm not hungover at all, and have found this combination works great for me. I have really struggled to find the right meds (as most of us do). I an still pretty stiff and hurting in the mornings, but I jump into a tub of hot water and that helps me.
    JPach
  3. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I'm very sensitive to sleep meds and usually have a hangover from most of them. I started taking the regular 1 pill dose of Ambien, but had the hangover like you. My doctor suggested trying half of the pill (I know they are so small to begin with, but I thought I'd give it a shot). And just taking half still helps me sleep but doesn't give me the grogginess and hangover in the morning.

I also don't take them every night. If I take them too many nights in a row, I still get the groggy/hangover.
  4. piebear

piebear New Member

bumping for more responses...
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I have been taking Ambien for 5 years and do not have a hangover in the morning. I used to take one 10 mg caplet, but for the past year I have broken that in half and do just fine with 5 mg. You might be getting a hangover because the dose is too high for you.

Ambien always gets me to sleep. The biggest problem I was having was staying asleep. I always wake up at 2am for a pee break, and I was having trouble getting back to sleep after that.

For the past month, I have been eating Stormyskye's shake in the morning, and I find I am able to go back to sleep after the 2am wake up. You can find info on this by doing a search for "The Shake" or Stormyskye's Protocol.

My next step is to get the 5 mg caplet (they come in 5 or 10mg) and break that in half and see if I can still get to sleep with 2.5 mg.

Good luck,
    Katy