Ambien is killing me...what can I take??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ILM, Feb 5, 2007.

1. ILM

ILM New Member

I need to get some sleep.
    I normally wake up several times a night, but lately have been waking up after only an hour or so of sleep and then waking up several more times. I have to get myself back to sleep each time.

My dr put me on Ambien CR and when I take it I fall asleep easily and I sleep great. The problem is that the next morning I cannot wake up.
    I'll wake up at 8 or 9 and drift back off until 10:30.
    Then I will still be tired when I wake up.
    Exhausted kind of tired like I haven't slept in days and have just been hit by a truck and heavily drugged kind of tired.

Before the ambien I was taking Benadryl for sleep.
    It helped, the sleep wasn't as great, but I am able to wake up in the morning.

Another problem with ambien is that I have 4 kids and my dh is a heavy sleeper. He could sleep through a bomb going off. So I have to get up when the kids are sick, having nightmares, sleepwalking etc.
    Well on night 3 of the Ambien my 3 yo got into bed with us and fell out of bed in the middle of the night.
    We have a king size platform bed that has steps to get into it, so he had about a 4ft fall.
    I woke up, grabbed him and went back to sleep.
    Now the scary part, I didn't remember what happened until dh mentioned it the next night.

The drug co says 8 hours, but for me I need like 12-15 hours of sleep after taking an ambien.

My dr wants me to try regular ambien, is it any less brutal than the CR??

Should I go back to benadryl?

I have pretty bad allergies and I am afraid that if I overuse benadryl it won't work as well when I really need it.

I just want to sleep.

help.
  2. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I tried low dose klonopin or clonazepam .25mg a night with .5 mg melantonin. Now I sleep.

Ambien increased my malaise.

CherylSue
  3. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Try klonopin & xanex (muscle relaxant). That's what I use & it works like a dream. I too was on both ambien & ambien cr, but had problems rembering things the next day...

Maybe see what your doc says about changing around your meds.

best of luck

your friend,
    fun
  4. Spring123

Spring123 New Member

Ambien also made me very tired the next day. Tylenol PM worked well for me so I went back to it... Sometimes I don't fall asleep easily on it but once I'm alseep, I stay asleep. I also don't feel as tired the next day as I did with Ambien.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2007]
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

If I were you I'd try melatonin if you're not taking an SSRI. I've been taking Restoril for two years and it's beginning not to do the job anymore. The same thing happened with Ambien.

You could try regular Ambien but it will not work for anyone forever so I'd try a more natural route before trying any more drugs. And I don't know how the Ambien CR comes but if it's a tablet, don't be afraid to cut it in half or less until you find what's right for you. You probably don't need a whole pill. We're all different in how we metabolize meds. Check with your pharmacist to be sure it can be divided but that might be an answer for now.

I'm also going to post about a delayed sugar reaction possibly being one of the problems for us with sleep. Maybe we'll get some interesting input from that.

Yours for a full night of SLEEP!

Marta
  6. lnw3602

lnw3602 New Member

I was on Ambien, but I was wide awake after a few hours unable to go back to sleep. I'm on Lunesta now and LOVE it. I don't take it every night though so I won't become immune to it.

Hope this helps

Laura-Nell
  7. mcondon

mcondon New Member

I always felt really groggy and hungover the next day.

For the past five years, I have taken a combination of Klonopin, Doxepin and Neurontin (each in small doses) as prescribed by Paul Cheney. These generally don't leave me groggy the next day. However, if you need to wake up for you kids at night, stick primarily with Klonopin, which is used primarily to induce sleep. The Doxepin and Neurontin are designed to keep you asleep, so if you add them, you won't be too fast on the uptake in the middle of the night.
    I would recommend also that you start with very small doses of any of these meds and work your way up as necessary to a dose that works best for you.

You could also try the supplements GABA, Valerian, and L-theanine to help you sleep.

P.S. I have never been able to tolerate melatonin. I always felt more hungover from that than even from Ambien. But everybody metabolizes these drugs differently.

Good luck sleeping better.
  8. Kryssie

Kryssie New Member

I have taken both regular ambien and ambien CR.

Regular ambien stopped working for me after about 3 mths, so I went on CR. CR is stronger.. You might want to try taking it earlier at night, that seemed to help my grogginess.
  9. lookingoutthewindow

lookingoutthewindow New Member

I take restoril and it isn't working well either. I had a blackout with ambien. I went outside and talked on the cell phone and lost it for 2 days. That was frightening, I don't recall a thing. I went to sleep at 11pm, got a phone call at 11:05 that I slept through, then was outside sometime before 1am when I woke. There was a message on my machine. I put a T shirt on (thank God!), got my cell phone and went outside. I scratched my leg on something, lost my cell phone and woke with a shirt on??
  10. mje

mje New Member

Flexeril is out as generic, too. (cyclobenzaprine) Needs prescription. I have been using it for nearly 20 years.
    It is a muscle relaxant. It helps to get into Stage 4 sleep. From what I have read..that is when our muscles
    repair themselves. I have also read that the SSRI meds
    may interfere with Stage 4 sleep, so it is best to take them in the morning. ( in case you have meds in that category) Good luck. MJE

11. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Please be careful with Flexeril. I have known many to have strange reactions to this drug. I know that we all have different body chemistries. That's a gimme. But if you do go on the Flexeril take it slow, real slow. I was put on it once to help with my muscle spasms & wow it turned me into one evil witch. You couldn't talk to me without freaking out & being very mean. Which isn't in my nature.

I don't know what it is about this medication, but I know of 5 others whom have had issues of some sort with Flexeril.

I just say be careful & good luck finding something.

your friend,
    fun
  12. cczub

cczub New Member

I tried Ambien and Ambien CR.. Neither worked at all for me. I was also told NOT to split the CR's becuase it screws up the dose. The outer "layer" of the CR is to fall asleep and the inner "layer" is to keep you asleep. If you split them it exposes the inner layer.

I'm now on Trazadone. It's worked like a charm. I've had to go from 50mg to 100mg at night but that's still only 1/3 the max dose.

I take it about 30 mintes before bed and sleep really well. I used to wake up 6-8 times a night during a 8 hour sleep...
  13. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I take 5mg of the regular Ambien and it works really well. I cannot take the CR it leaves me groggy. Also, I have been on it for at least 6 months and it still works.

I also have young children and I don't have any trouble getting up with them and I have no memory loss. If you do find that even with a smaller dose you have the memory problems I would definitely move on to something else!

It is amazing how differently everyone reacts to different medications - I would be afraid to prescribe anything if I was a doctor! :)

Good luck.

14. bunnababy

bunnababy New Member

I just joined the boards so new to all of you.

I was just prescribed the Ambien and the first night I wasn't too happy. I slept but I could not wake up the next day until later in the day. But the next night I took it much earlier and yesterday was no problem. So last night I tried without and that was horrible. Hardly any sleep at all. I am going to up my melatonin tonight and see if that helps. I would like to do this without sleeping pills but...

The Ambien can be broken in half unlike the CR. Maybe you could try that.

At any rate good luck.
  15. ILM

ILM New Member

my insurance wouldn't pay for the CR (I had a free 7 day trial coupon) so they will pay for regular ambien, which doesn't make much sense as it costs $40 more than the CR, but oh well.

I am going to try taking the ambien with dinner. I did notice one night I waited until 9 or 10 that I felt awful the next day. And when I take it at 8 I still don't get to sleep until 11.

I have been sick and on cold meds so I was using benadryl to sleep.
    I took one benadryl last night about 11 pm and now it's 5 pm the next day and I feel like crap.

Having a bad cold on top of CFS is hell. I felt better when I had influenza.
  16. ILM

ILM New Member

forgot to add..duh! thanks for all the advice, so glad I found this board...just wish I didn't feel like crap.