Ambien users.Anyone have side effects we've heard about?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Aug 27, 2006.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

I can't sleep worth a darn so I'm thinking about asking the dr to let me try ambien. But I've said before I'm so scared of trying new meds. Been hearing all the news about ambien and of course scares me even more. Any of you that have taken it,did you have any side effects or complications.

Thanks,Keke
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I took Ambien for a year before it began keeping me awake instead of helping me sleep. I didn't have any of the reactions I've read about here. Now I'm on Restoril and would like to phase off of it but can't quite make myself do it.

If I had it to do again I wouldn't start using a sleep aid on a regular basis. I'd work with natural supplements and/or Behavior Modification. I sure wouldn't take anything continually.

Marta
  3. Omacarole

Omacarole New Member

Have been taking Ambien....first .5 mg then .10 mg for over 2 years and like the other replies...don't remember much (like watching a tape) before going to bed. Ambien has given me the best sleep than I received before starting it! I couldn't name any side effects other than memory and I'd just as soon forget some things.....like my cocaine addicted daughter.
  4. jake123

jake123 New Member

I take 10 mg. every night and sleep like a baby. I've never had any weird symptoms from it. My doctor said that those reports of weird symptoms were in rats which were given about 70 mg. and not to worry.

I had not slept well in about 10 years, my subconcious would not let me. I was partly watching in case another paroled murderer got into my house. When my husband would come to bed after I had fallen asleep, I would scream a blood curdling scream and fight him when he started to try to calm me down.

My kids knew what it was but they still got the shivers when I did it. Now I never do it.
  5. intensemom

intensemom New Member

sometimes I forget what happened after I took it. I just take it right before lying down now!

Tracy
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I take Ambien off and on. The only thing I notice sometimes is being hungry early in the morning. Other than that, its ok.

I would try Ambien CR because the regular Ambien does not seem tolast the whole night.

I am currently using Restoril 15 mg at night, it also helps my anxiety the next day.
  7. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I've taken Ambien Cr for about 6 mos, before that regular Ambien for over a year. I highly recommend it. The only "side effect" is what others have mentioned, that anything you say or do very soon after you take it you will probably not be aware of the next day. No grogginess in the morning tho, at all. Good luck.

kat
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

We've had some seriously frightening threads about Ambien and the problems it caused.

You might want to do a search for it and read through them.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  9. Abbycat

Abbycat New Member

I've taken Ambien for over two years. I don't think it's a med you should have to take for more than a few weeks. I take it every few weeks when I'm so sleep deprived that I feel I need some help.

Side effects. For me, I wake up 4 or 5 times a night. I still woke up but after I went to the bathroom, I went right back to sleep. I also fell asleep 10 minutes after taking it. So take it when you are in bed.

I woke up feeling hung over and was not able to feel fully awake for hours after I was at work. I did not get up in the night but I did with Lyrica, a different drug that is for muscle pain and not sleep.

Overall, Ambien worked really good for my sleep deprivation, but I would recommend that you take it on the weekend to see how you react. I had very vivid dreams, which didn't bother me because I have always had intense dreams. It did help me reset my sleep clock.

I fell asleep quickly and when I had my usual frequent wakings, I got back to sleep within minutes instead of hours. It helped me to get the rest I needed.

Abbycat