Ambien vs. Lunesta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JencyH, Oct 31, 2005.

1. JencyH

JencyH New Member

Ambien put me to sleep fast, but i don't think i was in a deep sleep. With Lunesta, I have taken it 3,4,5, now 6 hours before bed and i am still tossing and turning at 6 am when i took the Lunesta at 9:00 pm! I do think i get into a deeper, more refreshing sleep with it. Anyone have any input?
  2. vp

vp New Member

This is my first night on Lunesta. I took it at 11:00 PM. Finally fell asleep at 12:30, and woke up at 3:00 AM. I havn't hurt this bad at night for a long time. Actually the last time was when I couldn't take ambien for 3 days before my last sleep study.

And how does it leave such a bad taste in my mouth? All I smell and taste is like aluminum or something metallic. Nothing gets rid of it. Mouthwash, toothpaste, gum,food. Just what I need, something that makes me want to go raid the fridge at 3 AM.

I hope tomorrow night is better, I have a test on Friday I MUST do well on. I may have to go buy a few ambien to get me through the rest of this week, and maybe the rest of the semester. Don't know how I will pay for it though. I've been trying to go to the FFC, and recently sold my jeep giving me a little extra money to be able to go. That may have to go to ambien and provigil now that ins. won't cover either antmore. I bought 3 ambien Friday night to get me through the weekend until I could call doc first thing
    Monday. It was 16.99 for 3. That makes it about 169.90 for a month, and provigil is about the same price.

Hopefull the rest of tonight is better.

Valerie

3. Mymolly

Mymolly New Member

Lunesta did nothing for me. I do best with 3 Tylenol PMs for some reason.
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

is the only thing that allows me to get some sleep. I had a horrible time with ambiem, similar to but many times worse than the problems I had with melatonin.

If I do not go to bed soon after the effects of my zopiclone (like lunesta) kick in then often it will not work for me. ZMA did not work for me in the past but now it seem to enhance my quality of sleep. There are nights when it does not work so well, but recently they have been becoming fewer

Jacob Teitelbaum writes that often a combo of sleep aids is required.

Tansy
  5. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Rozerem is far better for me than the other 2 which kept me up til dawn even after taking the pills hours earlier.

I've been on Rozerem for 6 weeks now & it is a real improvement. Still doesn't help with my pain or my delayed sleep cycle, but it does get me to sleep earlier!
  6. vp

vp New Member

Deninitely Ambien for me, but Medicaid says I have to try Lunesta for 2 weeks, then wait a week for the pre cert. to go through. That's what the message that person who called me back from the Dr. office said. It also said it would take a week or two for the lunesta to work. Has anyone else heard of this? Seems crazy for a sleep med to take that long to work. I know Lunesta is approved for long term use, but I didn't think that was it's only use.

Lunesta leaves a metallic tast in my mouth, and I can smell it too. Sounds strange, but I feel like I've had a tin can in my mouth all day. I keep trying to eat and drink to get rid of it, but nothing helps. Definitely not good for me.

I've bee on Ambien for several months, and now all of a sudden I have to swithch to something else. It is one of the few drugs that do what they are supposed to do, and no crazy side effects.

I'm trying it again tonight and see how I feel tomorrow. I have a class at 7:45AM I can't afford to miss. And a test Friday I have to do well on. I have too much invested in this semester to throw it all away. I may have to pay out of pocket for Ambien until the semester is over, and then let them torture me.

I just can't believe I have to go through all of this to save Medicaid $40 bucks a month. They probably have no idea what the lack of sleep does to us, both mentally and physically. It's gonna be unbearable.

Good Luck in finding what works for you, and pray someone doesn't take it away.
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Everybody's different, what helps some doesn't help others.

Ambien didn't help me at all, I was awake after two to three hours for the rest of the night.

Lunesta helps me acheive a deeper sleep. I dream for the first time in years. Lunesta comes in different dosages, I believe in 2, 3, or 4 mg. I take the 4 mg. and it takes about an hour to work on me.

If you're not already taking the larger dose, maybe that would help. I know when I tried the 2 mg., it helped some, but the 3 mg. works more consistently.

Have you ever had a sleep study? Many with fibro have sleep disorders, me included.

I hope you get some rest soon.
  8. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I ran out of my Ambien last night, so needless to say, I didnt sleep at all. I have found that a combination of Ambien (to get me to sleep), and Mirapex (to keep me asleep) works great for me. If I dont take one of them, I dont sleep at all.
  9. kcollins

kcollins New Member

my son's doc said to drink orange juice the next morning first thing to get rid of metallic taste from lunesta. He never tried it because he didn't end up switching to lunesta.
  10. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

after you have taken it for a few weeks. I have been on it for years and never get the taste now even on high doses.

Love Bunchy x
  11. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Try putting a small amount of dry baking soda on your tongue,till it melts,kinda swish it around. It takes the bad taste right out. Works for me.
    Shirley
  12. Martingray

Martingray New Member

Lunesta comes in 1 mg, 2 mg and 3 mg dosages. It is classified as a hypnotic as are Ambien and Sonata. Lunesta has the longest half life, Sonata the shortest.

Hypnotics work on the GABA receptors just as the benzodiazapines do but I believe they are more selective.

13. susanmarie1

susanmarie1 New Member

Originally, Ambien used to work like a charm, then, I suppose due to my tolerance to the medication, the sleep time would continue to wane. I then tried Lunesta. In my opinion it was like taking a sugar pill and a huge waste of money (for me, as we all know, everyone reacts differently with meds). It did nothing for me at all. I have been on disability for several years now, and my insurance will not cover these expensive drugs, so they have to come out of pocket. My former immunologist used to prescribe Ambien 10mg. (2) to get me to sleep and Dalmane 30mg. (2) to keep me asleep longer. That worked for quite awhile, until I became restricted by disability as to what they would cover...basically nothing other than benzodiazopines.

It is a well known fact that the benzo's are extremely addictive, and lose their potency with time, as well.

Now for the new Ambien CR; I got the 7 day free trial, and they lasted a bit longer than the Ambien 10mg., but, I can't remember when I've been able to get more than a few hours sleep at night due to insomnia and pain. Therefore, I must sleep during the day, or else I'm not fit for human consumption. I've tried everything. I've made myself stay up all day, pushed myself to try to get some stimulation, (for me that may be a bit of grocery shopping and various errands), with no nap, and still, I can't get past the three hour point.

I've tried anything that I could get my hands on, especially natural or holistic preparations, to no avail. I guess each of us must find the best way to try to get the restorative sleep we need, but I think if that were possible for all of us to get all stages of sleep, there would not be as many of us suffering from CFIDS/FMS.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
  14. mjgkennedy

mjgkennedy New Member

I have been on Lunesta now for a week. I went off Elavil so I am suffering from total Insomnia as a result.

The first night I took Lunesta I took it tooearly and took ages to get to sleep.

I now take it at 10pm and go to bed and read and by 11.30 I am asleep. I dont sleep as heavily as when I was on Elavil but dont seem to have the bad taste in my mouth or the terrible tiredness when I was on Elavil.

I will have to stay with it as I am allertgic to so many meds. even antihistimanes.

Mary
  15. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Tansy .. I'm like you ! I follow a routine or pre-sleep agenda that works .. I have to turn off the lights and try to relax about 30 to 40 minutes after I take the zopiclone .. and it WORKS !
    I was afraid it stopped being affective a few months ago but I forgot about the impact of my thyroid med finally kicking in once I stopped taking it with breakfast (wholegrain bread suppressed it) .. my body went into chaos but after a couple of months things are on track ..phew !
    As for the after taste ???? .. I mean no offence to anyone .. I would trade the taste in my mouth FOR a decent night's sleep ANY DAY >> brush your teeth well and use a mouth wash<< .. Sleep is what we NEED ! ... and it does go away eventually, as some one else said .. we are so much WORSE OFF without sleep .. taste just doesn't matter !
    Fudge : )
    [This Message was Edited on 11/27/2005]
  16. elsa

elsa New Member

Lunesta is suppose to be very fast acting ... within the hour of taking it. It's taking way too long for you to fall asleep.

What dose are you taking? Could you possibly increase? I have lunesta for sleep ... it works very quickly for me. Now, I have been known to "fight" it at times ... felt very sleepy, but just wanted to finish this "last little thing up and then I'll hit the sack"..., etc.

When that happens it's no one's fault but my own and need to go back and remember about the sleep hygiene we're all so familiar with. Could this be happening to you?

Good luck with this .... Getting quality sleep is hughly important in relation to our symptoms ... I'll keep positive thoughts for ZZZZzzzz's !

Elsa

I too had to metallic taste to deal with at first ... It went away after a brief time .... [This Message was Edited on 11/27/2005]
  17. Tiels

Tiels New Member

I tried Ambien, and it was awful for me.

When absolutely needed, I use the older SONATA sleep aid.

Again, everyone is different, but I'm not at all impressed with the "new" meds they've come up with. jmho :)
  18. gramaT

gramaT New Member

I didnt know the wholegrain bread keeps the thyroid from being effective. hmm, thanks for the tip. I'll avoid bread too. I love carbs, and think I should avoid them more. I take Lunesta just started. I find one half and a Trazadone work well together. I'm so sleepy in the day when I just take Lunesta.

Thanks guys for the helpful posts. I'm having a really rough time with the fibro. Probably the cold weather.

Blessings,
    Carolyn in Illinois

[ advertisement ]