Ambition, Motivation & CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Irwin, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Irwin

Irwin New Member

Hi,

What do you do to keep yourself motivated and ambitious when you are working. I find that if I push myself too much, I pay the price for it the next day. There are many days that I just don't feel like doing anything.

Interested in your reponse. Thanks.

Irwin

2. Irwin

Irwin New Member

Bek,

Thanks for your reply. Before I became ill, I found that once I became tired it was hard for me to concentrate on work or play. Now with CFS, I notice it even more. My ambition and concentration go right out the window. I was wondering if someone might have some tips for me to become more ambitious. For example, I used to enjoy photography as a hobby. Now I just can't seem to get my tail in gear to go out to shoot. It feels like too much of an effort.

Regards,
    Irwin
  3. mamacilla

mamacilla New Member

nink, that is a good idea, the 15 minute rule!
    irwin,i, too, have a terrible time being motivated
    and caring about much. it's weird that i would
    stumble on this tonight, as i was just talking about this
    very thing today. i think part of it stems from the fact that i feel like i have had no life for such a long time now, so i am extremely apathetic about almost everything, which is not even close to how i used to be!
    i'm sorry i don't have anything helpful to add.
    btw, i'm brand new here.
  4. Irwin

Irwin New Member

Hi,

Maybe my problem is really doing too much. I work at a nonprofit organization 3 mornings a week, come home, have lunch and crash for 2-4 hours, and still feel tired the next day. After all these years of being ill I have a hard time excepting doing things only in 15 minutes segments. In my past life I was a workaholic and thought that working many hours was the key to success. That was true of play as well as work. I see now that my old working habits are the problem. I'm still stuck in what I think I should be able to do. No matter how tired I am, once I start something I try to finish it. I'm done when the job is done, period. Somewhere along the way I must have been taught to not be a quitter. Your 15 minute rule is interesting.

I believe I'm suffering because my self image is based on what I complish. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks.

Regards,
    Irwin
  5. mamacilla

mamacilla New Member

Irwin,
    i think alot of us used to be typical type A personalities. i was like you, i had to do something from start to finish in one chunk of time. now i just can't do that, so i have to break down tasks, even small ones sometimes. please don't think of it as being a quitter! there may be a little truth to "it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks" but that in no way means it is impossible. for me, part of it had to do with all or nothing, black or white thinking. i was able to change all that and my life has been much easier and much more manageable in all areas, not just illness.
  6. mamacilla

mamacilla New Member

forgot to say you said your self image is based on what you accomplish..........please don't get what you do confused with who you are! ((((((((((Irwin)))))))))
  7. jakhere

jakhere New Member

Hi Irwin, Just thought I'd pass along some thoughts. I also have lost a LOT of motivation and here is something I experienced the other day that may help. After my weekly visit for IV vitamin and other stuff treatment, all of the sudden I felt exactly like my olf self. The sky was wonderfully blue the sun was great and I remembered why I really loved to fly airplanes. It lasted for about 3 hours. The point is that there is truly something wrong-- it's not in your head it is a physical problem. Today I would not even cross the street to fly an airplane, but that day my joy was back. By the way I'm an ex(not by choice) airline pilot, havent worked in 18 months. It will get better!!! Peace JAK
  8. mamacilla

mamacilla New Member

what a gift those 3 hours were for you! when i read that, my heart nearly leapt out of my chest; i realized how very long it's been since i've felt like my old self. reading your post has made me feel a little hopeful. we are going out one night this week with some neighbors we have just met and i am happy about it, but i know me, the closer it gets, the more apathetic about it i will feel.
    ps---my dad was a pilot

[ advertisement ]