Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, May 6, 2008.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Now it's down to the final four. Ryan/Kermit the Frog opens the show with his usual dramatic flair, and I can't help staring at his hair tonight because it sticking up so much--is it something about Mary or what??!!!

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is the song theme of the evening. I'm psyched because I think this must be the best selection/catalogue of songs yet for the kids to showcase their varied talents. Let's hope I'm right.

Each contestant will sing two songs and will be critiqued after EACH song.

DAVID COOK sings first, Duran Duran's 'Hungry Like the Wolf'. I was not too psyched with this song at the beginning--he sounded like he was rushing through it, and he didn't seem to put his own spin on it like he usually does. It was good, not great and this is hard for me to say because I LOVE David. At this point, I'm hoping his next selection is knockout.

SYESHA MERCADO sings next, performing Tina Turner's 'Proud Mary'. Choosing such an iconic song can be a crapshoot. But Syesha looks absolutely sensational tonight and this song let's Syesha do what she does best--start slow, hold back, build a momentum and then hit it out of the park! She's no Tina Turner, but she really did this one justice--I really, really liked it. Sorry Simon, I have to disagree with you on this one!!

JASON CASTRO out next, singing Bob Marley's 'I Shot The Sheriff' and sorry Kjade, it's a bonafide disaster from the first note. I really TRIED to like it, and I just couldn't. It was amateur, I really think if he sang this for his original audition, he wouldn't have gotten through. He's still adorable though, and that may carry him through with voters.

DAVID ARCHULETA performs next, singing Ben E. King's 'Stand By Me' and from the first note, I somehow felt this was a great choice for David--the first right choice of the evening. He put his own original spin on this song at several junctures, and made a great song greater. Wow!! Props to little David tonight!!!

And now it's time for round two. BTW, I timed 5 full minutes of commercials..and I'm just a little irked..

DAVID COOK singing first again, performing The Who's 'Baba O'Reilly' and from the first verse, I instinctively feel this is a better song selection for David. And I'm right, he put his own spin on it, and our David's back in totally perfect rocker David form!!! Yeah man!!!!

SYESHA MERCADO sings second, performing Sam Cooke's 'A Change Is Gonna Come' and while the song is legendary, I don't think it's relative obscurity totally worked for her tonight. It was slow and sappy, and while the ending was crazy 'Syesha strong', I just thought it was a little dull. But she certainly looked beautiful. I have to agree with Randy on this one. The tears were a bit much though.

JASON CASTRO up next, performing Bob Dylan's 'Mr. Tambourine Man' and I think this may be a better choice for Jason. And I'm right!! Dylan is definitely his genre, a better choice for our Jason, despite losing a few words. I actually enjoyed this performance, and I'm a big Dylan fan!!! Jason, I think you found some momentum tonight with this one!!!

DAVID ARCHULETA sing last for the evening, and he selected to sing Elvis Presley's 'Love Me Tender'. It's hard to watch our litte David singing a romantic song. But true to form, he put a beautiful spin on this classic, and made it is own. His song endings are always well chosen and beautful, always ending on a wonderfully melancholy note. Little David, once again, is the one to watch!! I hope people don't think he's so safe that they forget to vote, a la Daughtry.

Anyway, that's it for me kids. Time for bed, but first don't forget to vote!!vote!!vote!!vote!!

Til tomorrow night--

[This Message was Edited on 05/06/2008]
  2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I was so shocked when Jason forgot the lyrics. Simon was so hateful to him tonight. But I'm afraid he might be right, that Jason will be leaving this week. I hope not! But then I don't want any of them leaving!

3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Did you hear Simon's statement after jason sang his second song--he said, "Jason, you can unpack your bags." I guess he meant Jason might not be on his way out. Who knows, only time will tell!

4. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Wow Laura, great post as usual! Thanks again for doing such a great job of hosting this thread each week. I love how you include each persons songs, in case I can't remember.

I thought Archuleta stole the show tonight. Perfect song choices, especially Stand By Me. Wonderfully performed. And he showed a little something extra tonight. He didn't seem as disconnected. He seemed to feel the songs and actually show some of his charm while singing.

I have really really mixed feelings about Jason now. So I will lay it all out. I really wanted Jason to come in here and just blow us away! Bust the David/David in half and shock us all! But Bob Marley? Seriously? What was he thinking? He should be trying to beat the stoner image, not celebrate it. Not here.

When I looked at the list of songs they got to choose from, I thought Dylan! Perfect for Jason! Then he picks the exact song I hoped he would out of the 500! And he sings it great! Perfect...then BAMM! He forgets the lyrics!

(If you would have muted your tv sets right then, you would have heard the distant voices of the "AAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW!" cried round the country.)

He completed the song, and continued perfectly. This would have been one of his best songs of all. I so wish he hadn't forgotten the words.

David Cook was not that great tonight. I absolutely hate Hungry Like A Wolf to begin with, and he didn't do anything for it. His second song, the Who's, (I refuse to call it anything other than...) Teenage Wasteland - well that's like the Whitney Houston of Rock when it comes to Idol. Nobody can outdo the Who's version. He didn't come close. He was okay, but not as great as he should be with only 4 left.

Syesha was amazing - both songs. She has it all. The moves, the voice, the look, the sparkling personality, the wardrobe, and definitely the perfect white teeth. I think she'll be safe another week. Proud Mary was brave, but I thought she performed it perfectly. Not that familiar with the other song, but the emotion she displayed while singing it sold it for me.

Right now, things could go any way. The judges were extremely harsh with Jason. Too harsh. But he has a huge fan base, and probably gathered some of Brookes voters. His fans will work even harder to save him now. Plus now he will have some new fans. Duuudes everywhere will be backing him up for keepin it real.

David A is a keeper for sure! Some of the fans like me who are perched on the / between DavidDavid are going to lean to side A. because C. wasn't his best tonight. For the first time, David Cook could be in danger of losing his seat at the top. It all depends how many of those fans of his are 100% dedicated. Or, like Laura said, some fans could think David A is safe and vote otherwise.

There is just no telling how things will go tomorrow night. Watch Syesha win the whole thing, after riding the caboose to the finish line.
  5. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Sorry Kjade. I feel bad for you that this isn't going the way you hoped. Although I think Jason blew it tonight overall, I agree that the judges were unnecessarily harsh and soul-less towards him. It was like an emotional castration, right up there in front of millions. Poor guy.

But I think I know where they are coming from. There's an article I read on called 'American Idol': How the Top 5 Picked Their Songs.,,20007164_20171835_20197246,00.html

It's pretty clear that Jason isn't trying, isn't serious, and wants to go home.

Saturday when Neil Diamond arrived for rehearsal, Jason hadn't learned his songs yet, so Neil couldn't help him much. He blew off rehearsal all weekend and by Monday afternoon, still hadn't practiced yet.

He said, "I'll sing and if people like it, they like it. And if they don't, they don't. I'm kind of ready to go home. It's been overwhelming. I got 150 balloons yesterday delivered to the studio because people heard I was sick last week. That's cool, but that's just weird.'

So if the judges are aware of all this, and they probably are, they have probably warned him to pull it together and get serious. Then tonight, he shows up unprepared again. I'm sure they are a little disappointed and exasperated with him.

I was hoping in spite of all this, he WOULD get serious about the competition and blow us away. I wanted him to do well. His fans all want him to do well. He has got so many people backing him. Unfortunately, he just isn't that into it.

So that's the other side of the story. I hope I didn't make you feel worse.

If it were me and my kids, I would tell them that this is what happens when you are given a chance in life, and you don't give it EVERYTHING you've got. You lose the shot at something amazing. Here he is in Hollywood, top 4 on the biggest show on network tv with the whole country watching. He's cute, he's talented, and people love him. But he goofed around and didn't do his work. He disappointed the people who believed in him, the people who gave him the chance.

If he really doesn't want to be there anymore, and all the producers and judges know it, they certainly won't want him to win. That might explain their overly harsh remarks. They want him out of the way so the kids who ARE doing the work and ARE dying to win this can fight for their dreams another week.

6. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I agree this has been a terrible season of AI. Just isn't that good for several reasons. I've never been to an AI board so I don't know what it is you're referring to when you say the judges made a mistake regarding Jason and that's why they're being so horrible to him. What happened?

It's turned into a joke really, they need to end it after this season. Kids watching should not be exposed to the nastiness of're right, that is not a good example for our kids. Mine don't watch it much, usually they're in bed.

Thanks for your spirited commentary!

4ever....we must have been posting at the same time. I hadn't heard the info you shared about Jason basically throwing in the towel. Strange. All the big wigs are probably furious w him for messing with their show![This Message was Edited on 05/06/2008]
  7. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Did any of you think the microphones were turned up too loud? I could hardly hear the instrumentals and back-up vocals on David Cook and Jason's first song.
  8. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Syesha and David A. want it the most. David C. THINKS he has it. And Jason really doesn't care one way or the other.

I agree, Idol needs to sign off after this season. It is a huge let down this time around. I truly don't think any of the contestants are all that good.

If hard work pays off, Syesha will win.

9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I really liked Jason until the last couple shows. I don't read the message boards or any other info so I'm not influenced by anything else, just the singing.

I love Marley and Dylan and thought Jason simply destroyed his first song and did nothing with the second. I was disapointed. The judges were unusually harsh last night but I agree that if the first song had been his audition song he never would have been on the show. Jason just seemed unprepared. I love his laid back casual style and would buy his music as long as it was like his earlier performances (loved Over the Rainbow).

David A is very cute, very sweet, very young, and very talented. However, I wouldn't buy his records as I just don't care for his style. I think he will do well, just not my cup of tea.

Syesha was very good last night in MHO. The tears were because of Paula's comment that Syesha had realized her dream. What an awesome complement. I'd have cried, too. I can see her on Broadway and I think she would sell well, also.

David C is the most marketable (again MHO!). He is more consistant and polished which may come from the fact that he has been the opening act for some big name bands and knows the ropes. Last night was the first time I voted for him. Before last night I had voted for Jason because I really like his genre. I don't care for the song "Hungry Like a Wolf" because of the Old Spice commercial!

My quarter's worth!

10. tandy

tandy New Member

And that does'nt rub too well with alot of people.
    I think ya either like him or hate him.

My Mom TRIED to get into watching AI just because I've talked to her about it so much.
    She said she can't stand to even watch it because Simon is way too mean to all those kids. :)
    (My Mom is 72) and her motto has always been ,..
    If you can't say something nice,...don't say anything at all'
  11. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

After so much was said after my original post last night, I feel compelled to make a few comments.

First, Kjade, I am so worried that you are expending way too much emotional energy on this. I worry about it affecting your health, so please try and keep it in perspective.

I do think the judges are being more than a bit vicious at this juncture but I believe it's their 'hard knocks' methodology. The music business is more cut-throat than any other industry you could possibly imagine. I've had some exposure to the inside of this business through multiple business contacts. Also the son of a very good friend of mine is the lead singer of a major band, I don't want to name them, but they're huge. The stories I have heard about agents, handlers and the like would make your hair stand on end. Like old age, the music industry 'ain't no place for sissies'...and that's what I believe the judges are trying to do. Is it pleasant to watch? No. Will it change? I think not.

The other comment I would like to make is that I think the song choices weren't the best except for Little David's song choice and Jason's Mr.Tambourine Man. Once again, it's all about the song choices. I can't believe having a catalogue as extensive as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and those were the best songs they could come up with? DC choosing 'Hungry Like the Wolf'? Was he really kidding me? Who's advising him? Imagine what he could have done with a song like Mellencamp's 'Hurt So Good' or a song like that...The other thing worth noting is I believe at this point, ths show could use a new direction. Having these kids sing Neil Diamond and Dolly Parton songs is obsurdly ridiculous. They need an infusion of younger performers to mentor these kids.

I also think there should be call in voting on a list of songs the contestants could sing and the song that gets the most votes would be performed the following week. I also think the contestants should have a little artisitic freedom to choose their songs somewhat earlier in the competition. There are so many indie and lesser known artists that have great, YOUTHFUL songs. How great would it have been to hear Jason sing Deathcab for Cutie's 'I Will Follow You Into The Dark' or even Brook sing Rilo Kiley's 'I Never'? If you've never heard these songs, find them and listen to them, and you'll know what I mean. It kills me to hear these talented kids, AND ALL FOUR OF THEM ARE MEGA-TALENTS, singing songs that are mediocre at best.

Anyway, those are my two cents. See you all later.

[This Message was Edited on 05/07/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2008]
  12. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Very good points Laura! I fully and wholeheartedly agree that they need to let these kids sing songs that their peers, their fans and the CD buyers can relate too. Neil, Dolly, ALW, while greats in their own time or place, are not what the contestants want to sing or the audience want to hear. And previous years faves, Barry Manilow, Neil Sedaka...I think this stuff is cheesy and I am twice the age of these kids!

I say, let 'em sing whatever they want! That will show us even more who they really are, and what kind of music to expect from them if they win.

I am anxious about tonight. This show is rough! At this point, I don't want to see anyone leave. I like every one of them for different reasons.

13. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Just wondering why you think it is AI does require these kids to sing the oldies but goodies from the over-the-hill stars. I mean, they must do it for a reason. Do you have any insight into the reason why?

I agree, those kids should not have to sing that old stuff.

14. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Kjade, I hope you are ok. I see that your posts are missing from this thread. I hope I didn't make you feel even worse. And if I did, I am so sorry.

I know what you are going through. We can't help but get attached to these kids. I was devastated when Justin Guarini didn't win season 1, and Clay season 2. I couldn't freakin believe it when Chris Daughtry got the boot and what's his name went on to win! We do get attached, and if we don't agree with the majority, we get burned eventually.

Just remember that whatever happens, we all love you here! And you are welcome to say whatever you think and feel here, (as long as it doesn't break the boards rules.)

I know I have been pretty harsh myself on this thread. I am just disappointed that Jason didn't try harder. But there is still that other half of me that really wanted him to win, and will be sad to see him go - IF he does.

If Jason goes home, I will cry with you. And if he stays, I will feel your joy. This young singer has touched something in your soul, and we have all felt that before. He moved you, and you don't want to see him disappear into Nowheresville, TX, never to be heard from again. I don't want that either. I want to see him get a recording contract and sing the songs he WANTS to sing.

So please don't leave us. This thread won't be the same without you.
  15. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I think it has to be all about the money. Dolly, Neil, and Mariah were all within days of releasing new albums. I can guarantee they swapped their time for free publicity for their albums either gratis or for a modest fee. National exposure of that caliber is certainly worth their time.

16. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

That makes sense!

17. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I know you didn't ask me, but I have wondered about this too. I sometimes think that if they did always get to do things they are very familiar with, that they hear on the radio every day, they might tend to be more karaoke. When they are forced to dredge up some prehistoric oldie they don't really know, it is easer to be inclined to modernize it, and put their own swing on it.
    That, and I agree with the money/exposure thing.

I just now wondered if maybe they THINK this is their only way to reach the older viewers. The contestants themselves draw in the younger viewers so they use the music to attract their parents. I don't agree with this, but maybe they think that way.
  18. kjade

kjade New Member

I just want to say “thank you” for what you wrote above to me. It made me cry (I was doing a lot of that last night). I am devastated but feel better today. I have seen some interviews where he seems very happy with everything and relieved to be done. Of Simon, he even said he has no hard feelings for him, because “someone has to be the bad guy” (I think he meant himself). I did go back and delete my posts because I felt very stupid – I did not want anyone attacking me, which I have gotten very used to the past few months, just because I like Jason.

This has been especially heartbreaking for me because I really connected to Jason and his music. And I was not so much upset he didn’t win (remember I didn’t want him to) as I was with the treatment he was getting. I have never seen it that bad in all the years I have watched, and I have watched since Day 1.

See…..I always root for underdogs. Our big sports teams here always make it to the playoffs or finals, and always lose in the end. I have been crushed so many times, that I have given up on all of them – I no longer even watch them here. All of my big faves on AI have made it to Final 2 and lost. Look at Survivor too… one I like has ever won that show either.

Even my 8 yr old son’s football team this year made it to the playoffs, and ended up losing in the end – they got 3rd place, but it was still such a heartbreaker. I have never experienced the thrill of victory – never….and it hurts. Perhaps that is why I was so passionate about Jason. I was rooting for the underdog yet again, and knew I was not going to watch him take the prize. But in all reality, he WILL win in the end. I was so happy to see him leave the way he did, totally unscathed. My biggest fear was that he would let their negativity ruin him. I am glad to see it hasn’t – he is even poking a little fun at them today in interviews. I couldn’t be more proud of him if he were my own child.

19. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to see you posted--I actually came on to the board now hoping you checked in--and you did! I was so worried about you last night, especially after you pulled your post.

I know how you feel because the year Daughtry went down, I was angry and shocked. I thought that a rocker with his own personal style could not win, and it upset me. But look at him now--stockpiled with Grammys. And Bo Bice, as I wrote, I am so happy he stayed true to who he was. I think our Jason will be just fine, and will go on to make the music THAT HE WANTS TO MAKE.

And by the way, I don't know if I'm the kiss of death or just don't see things as others do. For every AI season, the person I rooted for never won. Maybe, subconsciously, we detect an underdog and want to take them under our wings? I don't know. I do know Jason is a winner and thank you for making me pay closer attention to him. I can't wait to hear what's next from him. Thanks again.

20. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Kjade, I am glad you are okay. And glad to hear also that Jason is okay. He was so good natured about being voted off. No tears for him - he had FUN with his swan song!

Back in season 1, during the auditions, when I first heard Justin, I thought "That's it, shows over. There's the winner." He had so much style, so much soul! I thought he was wonderful. I made the mistake of going to the AI board that year. All the kids were focused on there was the fact that he was of mixed race, whether or not he was gay, and that he had hair like Sideshow Bob. I wondered if anyone even cared how the guy SOUNDED! Yeah, Kelly was great too, and has done well, but I liked Justin.

I was so happy this year when there was a place here to discuss the show - with adults. Those kids are mean and superficial at the AI board. And worse, that is a perfect sample of where the majority of the votes come from. Snotty, superficial kids.

Season 2, I liked Clay. The kids had a heyday with his appearance too. The ears, the hair, the ambiguous sexuality...same old story.

I stay away from that board now, it just makes me mad.

I wish they would open up the voting online, so phone haters like myself could vote. I think they would get a lot wider range of voters that way.

As it stands now, it is a popularity contest. If no one could SEE the contestants singing, and it was based solely on singing alone, things would stack up differently.

Right now you are probably thinking about how much I make fun of the Survivor gang. Frampton...Whoville, Lion King...
    But hey, I loved Frampton, and I actually like Eric. Loved Lion King too! And Jason's hair did get pretty wild looking during his rat eating phase! And Natalie...well, no excuse for the Whoville remarks. I don't like her and she does look like a Who. But the difference is, if I were voting on who would win, none of this would come into play. I just say these things to be funny here, knowing they would never see them anyway.

But with the Idol contestants, if they do ever look online to see what the voters are saying, they probably go right to that AI board, and read all the hateful stuff there.

Well, I am rambling now, so I should quit. But I am glad you are doing okay. Now we just have to wait for Jason to do his Idol tour and get around to making his first CD. Meanwhile, you can rent Cheyenne on Netflix and watch him act, to hold you over while you wait for more music.