American Idol-going down hill???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kriket, Apr 12, 2007.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

I feel like American Idol has run its coarse. It makes no sense to me this go round. I have quit watching it, b/c I feel like that it is rigged or something. I mean, come on, we all know that their is a member that keeps staying that needed to go a long time ago. I'm starting to wonder if the American votes are really being counted??? Anyone else feel the same way??

[This Message was Edited on 04/12/2007]
  2. desertlass

desertlass New Member

It somehow doesn't have the same "wow" factor as last season. It does seem rigged, and the judging seems even more hackneyed than usual.
  3. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

My opinion is that season lacks the really raw talent that the show needed to tap into, with the exception of two of the females. They need people with excellent voice quality and intonation, then help them with preparation, execution, clothes, hair, etc.

Although Simon has a nasty way of delivering his opinions, I normally agree with him and his criticism seems valid. Paula looks through rose colored glasses and the other judge prefers music of particular styles.

Notice that Simon last season had the final girl sing a soft, controlled ballad, like Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It shows voice quality, control, execution and ability to vary the huge range that the song required.
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Darn it, I hate to agree but I have to. There just isn't nearly as much talent as there was last year. I enjoyed last season. Didn't agree with who won, but still enjoyed watching it.

There is a campaign to garner votes for Sanjaya. I guess someone wants to have the weakest singer win. I don't get it, but I guess there's a lot of stuff I don't understand LOL!

Kriket your pups are so cute!!

Stop and smell the puppies!
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I still love the show and enjoy watching it.

I do think there is either an extreme amount of teeny-bopper girls out there voting for Sanjaya, or there is some other reason for him to still be on there!

I also think each judge has a "part to play" on the show in order to keep the show entertaining.

Even going there, I still enjoy it!

6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Maybe they should limit the number of times you can vote from a phone line or email address. They do that on Dancing with the Stars and on So You Think You can Dance. That would keep someone from "stuffing the ballot box!"

7. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

it's terribly boring this season. I really don't care if I watch it or not. And what's this about Howard Stern? Sangaya is incredibly awful and has made this show a joke. Remember a season or two ago when the little short, chubby guy kept staying and staying. It turns out everyone was voting for him from the biker bars. I think we may have seen the demise of AI. And today I read that the Jackson family is launching a similar show.
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I agree with greenbean ... they should limit the number of votes per phone line and online. I have always thought that it was not an overall fair voting system when you had unlimited voting priviledges!
  9. kriket

kriket New Member

Did not think it was just me, thinking that something is just blah about the show this time.

greenbean- Thank you for the compliments on my puppies. There is one missing from the pic. They are always there for me no matter what!!! They think they are lions and can attack anything!!!

10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I've heard that it's still very popular. They are getting the big stars to be on the show like JLo and Gwen. Lots of big stars say they watch the show and know all the contestants.

I don't get it.
  11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

(Love the name by the way!) You can vote on line or by phone. The problem is there is no limit to how many times you can vote. They love to say there were 34 million votes, but that doesn't mean 34 million people voted and I think that is misleading.

Dancing with the stars limits your votes per email address or phone line to how ever many contestants are left. You start out the first week being able to vote 12 times and then on down until the last week when you can only vote twice.

I really think that's what Idol should do.

12. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi Kriket,,
    Yeah, same way.... still suffer thru it, but inbly because not much else is on that I watch. Noone is blowing me away... Simon is ...well... Simon and I am just not seeing anything or anyone that keeps me obsessed this year.

Very blllaaaaaahhhhh. I was really looking forward to it this year too.. I had more fun watchong the auditions. I thought it was just me too... guess we are not alone.
  13. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Remember "Queer eye for the Straight Guy"? Then it went downhill.

Remember when Gilmore Girls was fun to watch?

Well, I think American Idol is losing steam too.

The auditions are funny.

The issue with Sanjaya (or however you spell his name)has hurt the program. The poor guy really sang off key tonight.
  14. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Well, Sanjaya was voted off tonight. We need to remember that he is just a 17 year old teenager. Yes, he needed to go because he wasn't as good of a singer, and he didn't have the experience the rest of the other contestants have.

But, he is just a young man with a tender heart. How many of us would have the guts to stand up there and sing in those circumstances? He was entertaining with those whacky hair-dos; he just doesn't have the same quality of vocals as the other contestants.

I just didn't want someone else getting voted off because of some popularity contest over Sanjaya. I wouldn't be surprised if some record company offers him a record deal because the teenage girls like him.
  15. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Jordin is also 17.

16. sisland

sisland New Member

Wasn't it cool Last nite when Melinda sat down in the middle of the stage when Seacrest ask her to choose sides? You got to hand it to her!,,

I'm hoping Eighter Her or Jordan win also! Did you Notice how lovey Kishia and Blake were?,,,,,,,,,,,,It's so Neat How the show is "Giving Back" this year,,,,,,,,,To Help Kids in Africia!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  17. joyfully

joyfully New Member

After the scandals of how little $ actually goes to the actual cause after a telethon, I've become very skeptical.

You read about the "celebrities" getting free suites (along with their entourage), riding in limos, all meals paid for, free airplane transportation, etc. ----and it is all paid for by the donated money!

Anymore, I give to the Salvation Army and Lutheran World Relief because both organizations give almost the entire donation to the actual cause. There operating expenses are bare bones minimum.

I just want to know that the $ is actually going to the cause, and not to pay all the outrageous bills of the celebrities who appear at the cause.
  18. sisland

sisland New Member

Sanjaya's grandmother lives in Hot Springs Montana about 60 miles south of Here! She was on the Local News last night! ,,,,,,Her name is Lois,,, all she said was ,,,that she was proud of Him and that she Hoped he could afford to come and visit her Now!,,,,,,,lolo,,,,S