American Idol Gossip Papa Archuleta banned

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, May 10, 2008.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

From TMZ:

TMZ has learned David Archuleta's dad, Jeff, has been officially banned from "American Idol."

Here's how it went down. "Idol" sources tell TMZ Jeff has been a complete pain in the ass, interfering with the entire production. He has badgered producers, the band, vocal coaches and even other contestants. The final straw came this week, when Jeff wanted to change the lyrics to David's first song, "Stand By Me." Jeff insisted on adding a verse from Sean Kingston's hit, "Beautiful Girls." Producers sent him an e-mail telling him the lyrics could not be changed. They were beyond pissed when David sang the song with Kingston's lyrics during the live show.

We're told by changing the lyrics, it created problems with the song's publisher and cost "A.I." a lot of money.

Jeff was ordered to sit with "A.I." lawyers on Wednesday, who told him he was "banned from being in the rooms where David was learning or rehearsing his songs." It's "Idol's" position, since David is 17, he does not need a guardian -- just a teacher. Jeff will be allowed to sit in the audience during the live show but he's 86'd from anything backstage.

Play videoSources say the other contestants were fed up with Jeff and didn't want him near them. Now they have their wish.

All in all, sources say Jeff is the stage dad from hell. BTW, he was banned on the set when David did "Star Search" a few years back.

On the board where I found this info posted, someone commented that David displays the classic systems of mental and emotional abuse. He licks his lips because he's nervous. He doesn't move because he's afraid he'll do something wrong. He's polite to the judges because he's probably never talked back to authority in his life. Sometimes he looks like he's waiting for the other shoe to fall -- he almost cringes.

Ryan mentioned last week how he always looked like he was about to pass out after singing. He clamps his mouth shut and starts nose breathing.

It will be interesting to see if there is any difference in his behavior next week. I wonder what how his dad treats him when David get any criticism from the judges. He hasn't gotten many bad reviews, but it probably wouldn't take much.

I can't believe they didn't kick Daddy out sooner!
  2. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

That really does expain a lot re David's behavior....poor kid.
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I've always thought David was nervous but put it down to stagefright.

These stage parents are awful, they should be charged with child abuse as far as I'm concerned.

4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

This makes me so sad. I hope the authorities are now tuned in (literally) to this guy. David A. doesn't deserves this and I know there are siblings in is family. I pray for all of them.

5. joyfully

joyfully New Member

That sweet young man. You just want to give him a big hug.

This information explains Simon's comment to David several weeks ago. After David sang and was facing the judges, Simon told David something about----I'll bet you didn't pick out that song to sing----something about influence from someone. Something about David being better to pick out his own songs.

I felt Simon was alluding to David's parents.
  6. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

David seems like he is very dependent on his father. He lets his father do all the talking, since he can't find the right words. He is so shy. By 17, a young man should be struggling for independence, and his dad should be allowing him to find it.

My DIL predicts that David will be lost this week without his dad's creative input. He won't be able to do anything with the arrangement on his own. On the other hand, maybe he will finally be free to do his own thing stress free, and really shine.

It will be interesting. Kind of like watching a puppet take his first steps without strings. I hope he does well.

They really should never have allowed any stage parents to be involved like this. Just the people involved with the show, and the guest artists. Its nice that they can still see the family and all, but having them involved with the arrangements and the practices seems wrong. And now that David had had his dad there all along, it will be hard on David to go Dad-free at this point in the game.

I just hope David learns that he didn't really need him there afterall.
  7. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

He is such a sweetheart and I hope he does okay without his Dad's involvement. I'm worried he may flounder. It's got to be scarey to be on his own. But, they should have kicked his Dad out long ago.

It will be interesting to see if he gets sympathy votes because of this.

He reminds me of my dear grandson! :)