American Idol Tonight..Who Gets Your Vote?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Mar 18, 2008.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

My money is still on David Cooke. I was pleasantly surprised by Syeisha's (sp?) rendition of 'Yesterday'. Thought it was quite good and was also pleansantly surprised by Ramiele's performance. Overall though, I'm rooting for David Cooke. Who gets your vote tonight?

2. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

The adorable and fantastic vocalist, David Archuletta. I am always suprised that a voice like that can come from such an humble and quite bashful kid. I also really enjoyed David Cooke's rock performance. Syesha just blew me away too. I'm afraid the country singer (I can never remember her name) may be going home tomorrow, though. My vote for the cutest tonight is Jason. What a beautiful young man.
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'd have to vote for Amanda Overmyer, because her version of "Back in the USSR" was pretty darn entertaining, as was her attitude, and she's from my wife's tiny hometown of Mulberry, Indiana!

Otherwise, Syesha's "Yesterday" was gorgeous.

4. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Hey lgp!
    Things have been very unpredictable with these kids lately. Some of them are not very consistent. David Cook is. I liked him better than the judges did. And, you can count on him being good every week.

David Archuleta was great again. Back in the running!

I hate to say it, but I think Jason is slipping. I loved Hallelujah, and Daydream, but the last two weeks he has been missing the magic. I would really loved to have heard him do something like Norwegian Wood, or Fool on the Hill. Hopefully he will get back on track next week!

Brooke was just strange. I couldn't decide if it reminded me more of an Up With People concert, a number on the Lawrence Welk Show, or a supergroovy episode of the Brady Bunch. She's a cute girl though, very likable, and usually pretty good.

Tonight I thought the best were David, David, & Carly.

But I don't vote, so who cares what I think anyway!

I mentioned a standings chart I saw a few weeks ago, in which David A. had 63% of the votes after singing Another Day in Paradise, and Jason coming in second at 13% singing Hallelujah. A lot has changed since that! It's actually a reader poll on (not the real votes that determine show standings)

The poll from last weeks songs looks like this:

Top 11 Power Rankings

28.0% David Cook
    24.6% David Archuleta
    14.9% Brooke White
    11.9% Carly Smithson
    8.9% Jason Castro
    5.6% Michael Johns
    1.6% Amanda Overmyer
    1.4% Chikezie
    1.4% Ramiele Malubay
    1.0% Kristy Lee Cook
    0.6% Syesha Mercado

It will be interesting to see what this week does to that list.

[This Message was Edited on 03/18/2008]
  5. springwater

springwater Active Member

Now i find out we get the broadcast one day in my country. I have absolutely no idea who sang what - it will be on air today only. I dont even know which David is which. I hope i can sort it out tonight.

God Bless
  6. kjade

kjade New Member

Why, oh why did they do the Beatles again? I thought that was so stupid (I hope I didn’t offend anyone with that remark – I just cannot stand Beatles music) – wasn’t there some other genre or artist they could have chosen? I thought the majority of them did not do well last night at all.

Even my “boyfriend” Jason struggled with “Michelle”, although I thought he was still so charming and cute. I managed to vote this time about 50 times (only I got through every time so that had me a bit concerned!)

David A was good, but something irritates me there – not sure what. David Cook was really good again – I think he will be one of the front-runners to win. But I agreed with Simon a little – I think he’s getting a little cocky. He is my husband’s favorite (my dh was in a rock band too so he can relate to David).

I did not care for Brooke at all – I hated that song, and thought the whole performance was ridiculous. She looked silly dancing. Then what really bothers me about her is when the judges are giving their opinions, she just won’t shut up!! I think it is so incredibly RUDE to stand there and keep talking like she did when they are trying to speak. I think it shows total lack of respect. She lost quite a few points with me last night because of that.

This week, I think it will be Kristi that leaves, but who knows anymore! 4everkid, if those stats are accurate and they match those that are voting, I am a little nervous for Jason! I will just have to vote even more next time. (But I thought he was soooo cute trying to learn French, and I think Simon was right about his personality – he is so sweet, and not obnoxious. I just love him (but I didn’t care for his outfit).

7. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Wow, I missed the results show! I was distracted by the fact that Survivor was on on the wrong night, and completely forgot AI!
    I did see that Amanda got the boot. But I want details! Who were the bottom 3? Was Amanda shocked? Did she cry? Did any of the judges mention that she was lacking versatility? Do they tell who the top vote getters are?

I thought she was good, but her style got old fast. I feel there were others who should have gone before her though. But it doesn't matter too much, she would have gone soon enough anyway. Except that I read that only the final 10 get to go on the idol tour. So she will miss that. I wonder if she cares though?

She could easily be offered a recording contract though. As far as I know, there is no one with a sound like hers these days. If nothing else, her local fame will skyrocket.
  8. kjade

kjade New Member

The show last night started with the usual corny sing-a-long....I was actually laughing at Amanda because you could soooo tell she did not want to be singing along and swaying back and forth - it was uncomfortable to watch.

I was a little surprised with the Bottom 3. They did it differently this time. Ryan called them out one by one to center stage, then told each one if they were safe or not, then sent them to the couches telling them they had made the Top 10.

First in the bottom 3 was CARLY!! Do you believe that? She was so shocked and she was crying.

Second was Kristy (you could tell she knew she would be in the bottom) - she just walked over to comfort Carly.

Then they called out Amanda and Chikizie (I think it was him last) and told him he was safe. So we had 3 girls in the bottom 3. The judges said they agreed with the bottom 3.

Ryan first told Carly she was safe, and in the Top 10. She was so surprised - she said "Are you serious?" and was all weepy. Then it came down to Kristy and Amanda. Naturally I thought it would be Kristy, so I was very surprised when they said it was Amanda.

She didn't seem upset at all, really - you know the tough chic attitude. She was chatting with Ryan while they showed her goodbye video. She said she just wished she could have made top 10 though.

Sorry you missed it - too bad we don't live near eachother, because I record all my shows on my DVR - it is very simple to transfer anything to VCR or DVD. I have been saving all the AI episodes.

And thankfully, my DVR knew to record Survivor even though it was on a different night (I had no idea) - I just haven't had time to watch it yet. I want to read your Survivor thread, but I am afraid I will see who got booted if I read it. I will be watching it tonight, and will reply tomorrow if I can.
  9. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

of the constant bickering and sniping between Ryan and Simon? I though Ryan was REALLY obnoxious last week,he did back off a little this week. What's up, is it all for entertainment or is there really something going on beween them?
  10. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I wish people would stop picking on him. It's bad enough that he gets it from Ryan and Paula, and then some obnoxious caller has to start in about his choice of clothes? Well, I for one think he looks great in his black tee shirts and most of his comments are dead on. Granted, sometimes he's a bit too snide, but at least he provides some entertainment.

Also, will they please send Kristy home already! And I really like Brook, but that pseudo-Brady bunch Here Comes The Sun number was a little scary. And Carly being in the bottom three was a huge mistake. Huge.

My money is still on David Cooke. I really want to see him win. Stay tuned!!!!

11. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Thanks for the excellent play-by-play Kjade! I had a feeling Amanda would be too "tough chic" to act upset. I will hold a place for you in my empty Survivor thread. I think all those group numbers are hokey too! And Amanda really doesn't fit in. Maybe the powers that be "influenced" the votes a little.

gingareeree - YES! I am sick of the childish bickering too. So unprofessional! If it's for ratings, I don't get it. It annoys me. Maybe the kids like it or something.

lgp - They need to put poor Kristi out of her misery. Bottom 3 every week - it has to be wearing on her self esteem. Agreed on the Simon bashing too. Anymore, he's the only one who gives an honest answer. I want to hear what he says. Disrespectful all around, from the other judges, and fans.

I am shocked to hear that Carly was in the bottom 3! She certainly was better than that!
  12. springwater

springwater Active Member

This week i liked Chikezie. And i liked David A but not sure whether he will actually win. I like Michaels style. I think Ryan and Simon play up their one upmanship thing a bit, because they know its good for ratings, but its also apparent theyre not best of friends. Paulas irritating sometimes but thank God she's there to offset Simons extremely acerbic tongue. Good for the contestants morale. I like Randy tho i never seem to agree with him on how the contestants performed. If he says good, i will have hated it; if he says no - i will have liked it.

,,, even Simon thinks Jason is beautiful? All right, then he must be. He was spot on when he said looks helped when you are on camera because people get influenced by that even if theyre not completley taken up with the singing.

God Bless
  13. kjade

kjade New Member

I agree that the bantering back & forth between Ryan & Simon is a bit tiresome, but I find them both funny. They seem to me to be very good friends, and they just like to mess with eachother - Ryan is probably instructed to waste time. Especially with the silly call-in questions! Why have they added that? I find it such a waste of time!

Springwater: Of COURSE Simon alluded to the fact that Jason is BEAUTIFUL!! I actually agreed with him on his critique of Jason - especially after I watched it played back. He really didn't "sound" that great at all - BUT when you WATCH him, there is something so mesmerizing about him - I could watch him all night! That cute, charming smile, and those beautiful blue eyes....OH!! I like that you can tell he felt really ridiculous singing that song. And I thought it was funny when Paula told him it was like a "polka" - cause it kind of was! But I am so in love with him, it doesn't really matter! (though I need to call him and advise him about his wardrobe - his pants were a little too tight for my liking!)