AMERICAN MEDICAL CARE IS UNSAFE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TXFMmom, Oct 28, 2006.

1. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

This is going to be long, so forgive me. It is also going to be a rant.

I have had FM, arthritis, and a horrible back and cervical spine for several years, along with various problems such as sleep apnea, GERD, and hormone problems.

I also was a medical professional before becoming disabled.

In the last year, MY DOCTORS AND THE SYSTEM HAVE NEARLY KILLED ME SEVERAL TIMES. In the fall of 2005, I needed my yearly colonoscopy, as I have a hx of polyps and a hx of cancer in the family. Went to a doc who had done it previously and well, but she gave me a phosphy prep, and took me to an outpatient center with no ANESTHESIA COVERAGE FOR SEDATION. I am a former CRNA, and this just never, ever occurred that she wouldn't tell me that fact, because I WOULD NEVER, EVER HAVE AGREED TO IT.

The phospho made me desperately ill, and I vomited, in additional to the regular you know what all night long, and was SEVERELY dehydrated. I arrived at the center and told them I would need extra IV's because of the vomiting, then told the RN who started the IV AND DIDN'T ASK ME A SINGLE MEDICAL QUESTION, and then, ONLY THEN, I LEARNED NO ANESTHESIA COVERAGE. I HAD A FIT. I HAD GONE THROUGH HELL, AND THEN NO ANESTHESIA COVERAGE? I went ahead, TOLD THE RN NO DEMEROL, WHICH IS WHAT THEY USUALLY USED WITH VERSED, and Demerol is a CRAPPY DRUG FOR COLONOSCOPIES. It takes a long time, IV to take effect, lasts WAY TOO LONG, and DOESN'T EVEN ADDRESS THE TYPE OF PAIN WITH COLONOSCOPIES AND IT VASODILATES, MEANING THAT IT SHOULD NEVER, EVER BE GIVEN TO SOMEONE DEHYDRATED, AS WAS I.

The RN GAVE IT ANYWAY, AFTER I TOLD HER NO WAY, AND IT MADE ME NAUSEOUS AND MADE ME RETCH.

SHE REFUSED TO GIVE ME ADDITIONAL FLUIDS, SAID SHE WAS GOING TO GIVE THE SAME THEY GAVE EVERY TIME. NO TWO PATIENTS ARE ALIKE AND GIVING THE SAME THING TO EVERY SINGLE PATIENT IS NEGLIGENCE AND STUPIDITY IN THE HIGHEST FORM. I WOULD HAVE KICKED ANY OF MY ANESTHESIA STUDENTS OUT OF THE PROGRAM IN FIVE MINUTES FLAT FOR SAYING AND DOING SUCH A STUPID THING.

They sent me home without something for the nausea, and I continued to have diarrhea and VOMITING for 24 hours, started running a fever, and couldn't get THE DOC'S OFFICE TO CALL ME BACK. FINALLY WENT TO ER OF PRIVATE HOSPITAL ASSOCIATED WITH THE VERY RITZY HOSPITAL WHERE I WORKED BEFORE BECOMING DISABLED. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE. I was really sick, low blood pressure, vomiting, severely dehydrated, a very dangerous combo for someone with my history, and the ER was full of illegal aliens. SWAMPED. Couldn't even get triaged for two hours - FINALLY I HAD MY DAUGHTER-IN-LAW TELL THEM I WAS A CRNA, MY LEGS HAD GONE NUMB FROM THE WHEELCHAIR, AND I NEEDED A STRETCHER.

They found me a stretcher, and brought it WITHOUT SHEETS. Then, they finally found sheets, and put me in the hall, no other space available. two hours more to get blood drawn, another hour to get the IV, my blood pressure was 86/60!!!!! and I was watching them taking all this time to triage these illegal aliens and it took twice as long, as they had to pull away a staff member from their patients to interpret, and trying to get a history out of these people was like pulling teeth, NONE WERE INSURED, AND SOME OF THEM WERE REPEATS AND THE STAFF KNEW THEM BUT THEY WERE CLAIMING A DIFFERENT IDENTITY, and they had small injuries from work, sore throats, cramps, fevers, AND ONE OF THEM WAS ACTIVE TB, AND HAD GONE OFF HIS MEDS WHICH HE WAS GETTING FOR FREE, SO HE HAD EXPOSED ALL OF US TO DRUG RESISTANT TB.

I was furious. We have two county hospitals who are set up for the non-insured and THEY GO TO THE PRIVATE HOSPITALS, KNOWING THEY CAN'T BE TURNED AWAY. Last year, my county spent $150 MILLION DOLLARS caring for the uninsured illegal aliens, and I know some Americans who can't even get care at those same hospitals.

After another two hours WITHOUT GETTING THE ORDERED TYLENOL AND SHIVERING AND CHILLING, I WAS INCONTINENT OF STOOL, and was forced to go to a PUBLIC bathroom in the ER to bathe myself, when I could barely stand, and I then had a very serious discussion with the doctor, who told me they could not ADMIT ME BECAUSE THEY HAD NO BED EXCEPT OB AND MY FEVER KEPT ME FROM THERE - THAT IS WHEN I WRUNG OUT OF THEM THAT THEY WERE FILLED TO BURSTING WITH ILLEGALS, NON-PAYING, WOULD GET ADMITTED, AND THEN WOULDNT' LEAVE FOR THREE OR FOUR DAYS BEYOND WHAT INSURED SPENT. They couldn't force them out, because they were being sued. `I went home.

Then, I learned that the phospho WAS BEING PULLED FROM THE MARKET BECAUSE IT WAS KILLING PEOPLE AND THE INFORMATION HAD BEEN PRINTED IN THE PROFESSIONAL JOURNAL OF THE SPECIALTY AS TO THE REPORTS TWO MONTHS BEFORE MY DOCTOR GAVE IT TO ME I CONFRONTED HER, AND SHE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT

Then, I was given Levaquin for a sinus infection, every tendon in my body became inflamed, I had severe glucose swings, and now they think it may have caused me to go into adrenal failure

I saw my psychiatrist, whom I see every six months, right after that, told him I was exhausted, not FATIGUED, BUT EXHAUSTED, WEAK, HAVING DIARRHEA, BLOOD PRESSURE SWINGS, INFECTIONS, THE TENDON PROBLEMS, AND HE ridiculed me and said I was fat, and if I lost the weight all of it would go away. I TOLD HIM THAT I HAD BEEN FAT FOR A LONG TIME AND WHAT I WAS FEELING WAS DIFFERENT. He ordered a bunch of lab work. His rules are that we ARE NOT TO DISTURB GOD, AS HE THINKS OF HIMSELF, THAT THEY WILL NOTIFY YOU OF THE LABS. THEY SENT ME NOTHING.

I continued very ill through the summer, had sinus infections, had trouble getting out of bed, had a spinal injection procedure, was knicked under the arm, and developed a hospital acquired staph infection, then developed pneumonia and bronchitis while visiting my mother, and couldn't get a hospital bed there, because it was coal miner vacation time and they put all their ill family members and disabled ones in the hospital and run out of town. I had trained there but forgotten about it. They arranged a home nursing visit three times a day, oxygen, and it took an aide, my mother, and my husband to assist me in getting in the tub, I was so weak.

Came home, went to my ENT who refused to listen to my lungs, went to my FM doc, who did, and did a chest x-ray and learned the bronchitis and pneumonia had not resolved, more antibiotics and some Vicodin to open the airway and let me rest, hallelujah. Tests revealed I WAS NOT MAKING LYMPHOCYTES, AND I HAD TO GO ON IV IMMUNE GLOBULINS AT $10,00O A WHACK, AND THE INSURANCE IS PAYING, SO I KNOW I MUST BE ALMOST DEAD.

Went back to my shrink, and he SCREAMED AT ME FOR NOT COMING BACK FOR MY LABS, AND FOR STILL BEING FAT, ALTHOUGH I HAD LOST TWENTY POUNDS THROUGH ALL THIS, AND I SCREAMED BACK. YOU NEVER CONTACTED ME ABOUT THE LABS, HE SAID HE DID, I TOLD HIM I HAD CALLER ID AND WOULD GET MY PHONE RECORDS,AND THEN HIS CONTACT SHEET SHOWED THEY HADN'T CONTACTED ME. HE HEMMED AND UMMMED, AND SAID THAT MY LABS INDICATED I WAS FATIGUED, AND I HAD TO ALMOST BEAT HIM TO GET OUT OF HIM THAT I WAS IN ADRENAL EXHAUSTION - VERY, VERY DANGEROUS. HAD THAT INFORMATIN FOR SIX MONTHS AND HADN'T TOLD ME. that is malpractice.

Went back to FM doc, told her about the adrenals, she pulled adrenal studies. Waited for a call, didn't get it, so I called her lab line, where one enters a code, and can get your lab results, and she said in her own voice, ADRENALS AND ACTH NORMAL, I WAS STUNNED. Then, one day later, her office called and said I had to see an endocrinologist because MY ADRENALS AND ACTH WERE LOW. I asked, how can they be normal on her lab line and now low? Did they check the sheet to see if the results were really mine? I dunno I am a secretary. I had an appointment for IG's the next day, and once again, had to almost lie down and cry to get the results, and they WERE REALLY BAD. I asked how she could tell me one thing on the lab line and then the results were totally different, and they were DEFENSIVE. NO apology.

Went back to my internist of 20 years and asked what to do, as the endo could not see me for a month, he ordered repeat adrenals and ACTH, and ordered a cat scan of abdomen and adrenals. Lab scheduled next AM, arrived, pointed out I was for AM CORTISOL AND ACTH, AND THE CHECKIN PERSON WAS NASTY, and then the guy who drew the blood had to ask what color TUBE, and once again I mentioned, nicely that I was for am Cortisol, which requires special handling. One of the stickers had HER SON THERE, IN THE ROOM WITH ALL THAT POTENTIAL BLOOD CONTAM AND contaminated sharps AND HE WAS RUNNING AROUND AND HAD TO BE TOLD TWICE TO SIT DOWN IN THE CORNER, AND EVERYBODY WAS DISTRACTED PLUS THAT IS A MAJOR OSHA PROBLEM

Turned out they had to ask her to bring him because staff had called in sick and were late.

Was supposed to get results before going on cruise that weekend, called per instructions on Friday. Results not in, should I go on cruise with steroids in hand or not? NO ANSWER THAT DAY FROM THE NURSE. Went on cruise - bad move - do not go on Norwegian Dream, they do not use their stabilizers and the ship looked like a horror movie of a Ghost Ship. EVERYONE WAS SICK.

Got back, had message from RN, saying they did not have ADRENAL STUDY BECAUSE THE LAB DIDN'T DO THEM. Didn't do them? How could that happen? I WAS FURIOUS. Took the barium and arrived for cat scan next AM to be called up to desk and SENT TO LAB FOR STAT BUN AND CREATININE, AS THAT HADN'T BEEN DONE, AS NEEDED, WITH THE LABS, EITHER. The lab had my e-mail about how did this screw up happen beside them, AND THEY YELLED AT ME. THEY FAILED TO DO THE ORDER AND I ASKED WHAT THE ORDER FOR IT SHOWED, AND THEY SHOWED THAT THE CORTISOL HAD BEEN ADDED UNDER ANOTHER SECTION BUT I HAD TOLD THEM TWICE!!!!!!!!! When the same guy started to draw my blood, he scolded me, saying that EVERYONE WAS HUMAN AND MADE MISTAKES AND GETTING UPSET WASN'T CHRISTIAN. I tore into him like stink - told him that he had the attitude that mistakes were human and he didn't get upset by making them, then HE HAD NO PLACE IN MEDICINE, BECAUSE ONE HAD TO TAKE THE ATTITUDE THAT THEY WERE STRIVING FOR NO MISTAKES, BECAUSE THAT COULD KILL PEOPLE. I would have had a student of mine out of there in five minutes for such an attitude.

Went back for the CT scan and just broke down crying. I COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT I HAD SEEN SO MANY MISTAKES AND NOT A SINGLE TIME HAD ANYONE APOLOGIZED OR EVEN SEEMED TO CARE THAT I HAD BEEN OR COULD HAVE BEEN SERIOUSLY INJURED.

The CT girl made sure that the head of the staffing for the group saw me before I left, and they admitted that major errors had been made, but I needed to come back when I WAS MORE LOGICAL, MEANING THAT I HAD NO REASON TO BE UPSET. JUST WAIT TILL I SEE MY DOCTOR.

The cat scan was supposed to be back on Thursday, but I HAVEN'T HEARD A WORD. I wonder if they have given my report to someone else, or HAVE LOST IT.

Then, I can't tell you the MISTAKES I HAVE HAD ON MY PHARMACY THINGS FROM WALGREENS, with them saying I don't have refills, when I do, the wrong drugs, WRONG DOSAGE, and failing to do all the things I put in their system for refills, several times over. MY husband picked up my meds once, refused to take the Nexium as it was $160, and I called back to find out the problem, and they INSISTED THAT WE HAD TAKEN THE PRESCRIPTION WHEN WE HAD NOT. I was livid. Our new insurance doesn't cover Nexium.

I am completely totally appalled and FRIGHTENED OF ALL MY HEALTH CARE RIGHT NOW. I am a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL, OBSERVANT, PROACTIVE, AND THIS HAPPENS TO ME, WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THE REGULAR PUBLIC?

I am in adrenal failure, wonder if Levaquin didn't incite it, and not making lymphocytes, and the combo can be FATAL, and I get this FAILURE TO PROVIDE EVEN MINIMAL STANDARDS ON STUFF.

2. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

Sue them! Sounds like they deserve it
  3. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I don't even know what to say. I don't understand all the medical information but I do understand negligence. You have a right to be furious and scared!

hugs Redwillow

4. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

TXfmmom,
    Wow, that is just awful....it is so scary....I know everyone has to be very aware that mistakes do happen...more times then can be imagined.

With HMO's I know it is heck getting referals for anything...Fax's don't get to them, or they okayed it two weeks ago, and PCP did not notify you...it goes on and on..

One time I went to my GYN and she asked me why I did not follow up on an abnormal pap....I had not been told...I was very upset because my mom has had cervical cancer, and breast cancer...no way would I have ignored that and not made an appontment for a follow up!

We just have to be on the ball I guess....It is just unbelievable..
    Cindy
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

OMG -- this is one of the most horrible things I have ever heard. I think you have more than enough grounds for several law suits.

There is just no excuse for any of this -- I agree with you. If these things happened to you and you are a CRNA -- it just give me chills what it happening to people who have any medical knowledge...

I have taken Levaquin and was very lucky no adverse reactions thank goodness. At the time I was prescribed it I did not know about the FDA warnings and naturally was not told any of them by the ER physician who did the prescribing.

I can not believe they were not going have any anesthesia cover for you I have never heard of such neglect -- I used to do medical coding at a large 3 facility hospital and have never seen any cases like yours.

My god you certainly needed to be hydrated properly that nurse needed to be fired and slapped!!!!

Well I am sure I will make some people here mad but I personally think it is wrong that illegal aliens get better health care in this country that we legal US citizens and I am sorry (no I am not) but this is WRONG!!

I just don't understand why illegal aliens get this treatment and Americans don't.

I really hope you feel better soon and do hope something good will happen for you.

You more than deserve it!!!

Take care of you and will be thinking of you,

Karen :)