Amino Acid Profile Worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, May 27, 2006.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

Has anyone had their amino acid levels tested as part of a naturopathic testing work-up? I've been to the FFC, seen countless doctors but thinking about giving a local naturopath a shot before giving up on doctors completely. He offers a full battery of tests including an amino acid profile. I believe in the natural approach, it just seems impossible to know where to begin when you don't know where your deficiencies are. Are these tests worthwhile (ie. intracellular vitamin analysis, amino acid profile, detox challenge)?

Happy (almost) Memorial Day!
    Eddie
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

bmpwriter, yes, I had mine done about 4 or 5 years ago by a doc in California. I worked with him by phone as I am in NY and do not fly. His name is Dr. David Gersten. Brilliant man. He is an M.D., Neurologit and Phychiatrist. Really improved a LOT of my problems, except the weakness. I just can't overcome that, YET. Most of these tests were done by Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratories, Cellular Energy Profile, Oxidative Stress, Krebs Cycle testing, I can't remember them all.

I will look through my profile for some of my old posts on him for you.

I would recommend Amino Acids ESPECIALLY if trying to treat brain problems without drugs. Also, they are needed for detox and I believe ALL our problems come from our bodies' impaired detoxification of toxins.
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Will do a cut and paste for you.

deliarose, about Krebs Cycle Testing 09/25/05 04:55 PM

Here is the Krebs Cycle Testing you asked about. Didn't know if you'd see my other post, so here it is, special delivery.

Tests for Mitrochondrial function 05/03/05 08:04 AM

and Krebs Cycle was done by Great Smokies Diagnostic Labs. They are easy to find online. This was part of the Cellular Energy Profile I believe. I had these done back in 2001 so hard to remember, but I just contacted them and they pulled my account up. Also had Toxic Element Clearance Profile, Food Antibody, Oxidative Stress Analysis, Elemental Analysis Packed Erthrocytes. I know I also had an Amino Acid Profile done that didn't show up on the list I got from him over the phone just now.

These tests were ordered by Dr. Dennis Gersten (now goes by Dr. David Gersten) He is an M.D., a Neurologist, and Psychiatrist. He is in California, I am in New York. Worked with him by phone. I have yacked him up several times on the boards here. You might find some of my blurbs about him if you do a search under my name.

You can also contact Great Smokies and ask them for a list of Doctors utilizing their tests. Then choose from the list in your State/area. Good luck

4. suz9601

suz9601 Member

when you did the consults over the phone w/Dr G...was it expensive? Did you have to pay for all the tests up front or do they bill insurance? Thanks so much.
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

I don't recall thinking he was expensive, just average. I really don't remember how much, but it was definately NOT 3 or 4 hundred. I paid by credit card then subitted my superbill to BC/BS and they reimbursed at 80%. He also sends you a recording, of your consultation when he explained test results and treatment strategy. All my lab tests were billed directly to my insurance and I just paid my co-pay. The supplement list can be extensive. He did NOT sell any supplements at that time, but I do believe he does now.

He was the single best doctor I have EVER treat with. And I have seen well over 50. I don't think he has ALL the answers but he has test results justifying every supplement he recommends. And he will give you the tape so you can refer back to it as he covers A LOT of material.

Amino Acids have made a huge improvement in my life and I can't sing their praises loud enough.
  6. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

through Great Smokey Labs , and I was deficient in
    taurine and tyrosine .

I have been adding aminos ( a combo plus extra phenylalinine and tyrosine ) and I think they really help - even after only a week. My mood is improved and my thinking . I probably would just add them to my daily routine . I am looking for a capsule form now of some that are free form and affordable. I am afrid to take a high dose of the brain aminos bec I do take AD's. But so far , I think the low dose is HELPING .

Are you still being treated for lyme ? If i recall , you are in GA. I left GA and am now in TX, but I had a GREAT
    integrated med MD in Watkinsville , near Athens . He was wonderful ! He helped educate me on better health with
    things that were not JUST drugs . His name is Kirk Melville , and he is also a very caring and supportive doc . I lived in Atl, and he was so worth the drive . I wish I could duplicate him here!
  7. place

place New Member

Do you take them individually or is there a mix you have? What do you take?
  8. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

liquid amino fuel ( a combo with B6 ) and waiting a little later and then take extra Phenylalinine and tyrosine .

I am searching now for free form capsules . I always try to take them on empty stomach & with small B6 capsule.

9. painandagony

painandagony New Member

all this info is good...i will have to get out my great smokies laboratory testing results i had done in 2000 and see if all of the above mentioned were tested.
    thanks.
  10. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

what is your opinion on targeted amino acids vs. taking a whey protein supplement? i know that amino acids compete for absorption when taken together, but is the body smart enough to convert the most needed amino acids first? this has always confused me.

eddie
  11. elliespad

elliespad Member

My supplement list from him was HUGE. Maybe 20 things. The amino acids he prescribed for me were L-Tryptophan and Aminotate, by Tyson Pharmaceuticals. Here is the blurb on Aminotate.

AMINOTATE
    Aminotate is a blend of 14 crystalline free form USP pharmaceutical grade amino acids. It is high in the amino acids which can convert to glucose (glycogenic). Aminotate is designed to particularly assist in the stabilization of your blood sugar levels, glucose (glycogen) storage, & consistent mental & physical energy.

See Aminoplex or comprehensive general details on amino acids. See individual amino acids in this formulation to see how Aminotate can be of further benefit. L-Glycine, L-Alanine, L-Leucine & L-Isoleucine, L-Valine,L-Lysine, L-Arginine, L-Methionine, L-Histidine, L-Threonine, L-Phenylalanine, Proline, L-Glutamine, L-Tyrosine.

DIRECTIONS: Be sure to be taking a good multivitamin mineral when supplementing amino acids because certain vitamins & minerals are needed for amino acid usage.

Use 2-6 capsules 1-3 times daily between meals (i.e. upon arising, mid morning, mid afternoon, if taken 3 times). Do not take later than 3-4 PM as it may then keep you awake later. May use with meals but is less effective.
    Take 1 pyridoxal-5-phosphate with each dosage.

This formula was selected, based on MY test results. He recommends retesting every 6 months when using amino acids. I have not retested in 4 or 5 years.

I have not treated with him in several years and have not consistently continued with the Aminotate. I alternate different formulas. But I have added Dl-Phenylalanine, L-Tyrosine and the FFC started me on Rest & Restore, which contains GABA, L-theanine, skullcap, passionflower, 5-HTP, Melatonin.

I also was prescribed ImmunePro (UNdenatured whey) by Dr. Gersten. Between the Aminotate and ImmunePro, I was DETOXING BIG TIME. I could never stay at the prescribed doses more than 2 or 3 days and after 6 months, sort of fell off that treatment wagon. I still take the targeted Aminos, will likely NEVER give them up, they are that good. I like to sporadically take an Amino Acid Complex to maintain a balance. Just like you wouldn't take a single B vitamin without a B-Complex.

We have had a poster the last few days, can't remember his name right now, who is basically in "remission", (my word, not his) from using Shark Cartilage, Amino Acids, Activated Charcoal, and few others. The important piece of info for ME, is the ACTIVATED CHARCOAL. He uses it to sop up the toxins that are liberated using the Amino Acids and Shark Cartilage. The ACTIVATED CHARCOAL may solve my problem of heavy detox symptoms which prevented me from sticking with my treatment protocol.

Don't worry, I will be posting if this works for me:).
    It's MikeReynolds, his name just came to me.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/28/2006]