Amino acid scheduling

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Clay2, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

Some amino acid supplements come with instructions to take separately from foods or supplements that contain protein or other amino acids. Presumably this is because the amino that you want to target will simply get used up in the general protein formations in the gut.

Unfortunately, I eat a lot of protein, and there are a lot of amino acids I want to try and only 24 hours in the day.

Do you take this instruction seriously? How do you all schedule this?
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

I eat every hour or two so I can't possibly have a totally empty stomach. I try to take them when it's as empty as it's going to be, but I still seem to get the benefits. I think some of them compete for receptors, but I mostly just take them whenever.

The only 2 I try to avoid together are arginine (helps in the conversion of ammonia to urea cycle) and lysine (herpes inhibitor). They compete for the same receptors so you're supposed to take arginine early and lysine a few hours later.

Even if I forgot to take the aminos before I eat (which is all the time), I'll take them with the food anyway. I'd know if I wasn't getting them, I'd start to get weak within a couple of hours.

And SAMe I take first thing in the morning on a completely empty stomach.

karen