Amino Acids, Antidepressant Explanation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Roseblossom, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline/norepinephrine are nervous system neurotransmitters that regulate emotions, sleep, energy, appetite, and pain levels.

Neurotransmitters are produced by the metabolism of amino acids - including tryptophan, taurine, tyrosine, and many more.

For example, the neurotransmitter serotonin is produced by the metabolism of tryptophan (L-tryptophan), which is an amino acid occurring naturally in food.

In the body, tryptophan goes through a complex process in which it is converted to 5HTP (5-hydroxy-tryptophan), which in turn is converted to serotonin.

SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) drugs like Prozac & Zoloft also affect serotonin levels, but unlike amino acids, they do NOT do it by increasing the production of serotonin.

Instead, SSRIs block the the destruction of serotonin in the brain, by interfering with the body's natural physiological regulatory system, so that serotonin stays at the nerve endings where it can work.

Specifically, SSRIs inhibit the reuptake of serotonin from the nerve ending, resulting in the serotonin staying at the nerve ending longer. Hence the name Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI).

(Edited for innacurate sentence - thank you Marta :)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/27/2006]
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Yes, it is like recycling the Seratonin, to death. Sort of like NEVER changing your cars' oil. Eventually you better change the oil or it breaks down and can no longer do its' intended job. Why not give your body the building blocks it needs to make it new, as it is needed?
  3. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I agree completely, Elliespad :)

Roseblossom
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Amen! And, boy, did I learn that the hard way.

But Rose, I thought that I'd read that 98% of serotonin is made in the gut. ?

Marta
  5. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I wonder if the author of the article from which I quoted meant to write "synthesized" rather than "produced".

Or, could he have been referring to the Enteric Nervous System, or "gut brain"? If so, he should make that clear.

Here's more from the same article:

5-HTP (5-hydroxy-tryptophan) is well absorbed from an oral dose, with about 70 percent ending up in the bloodstream. It easily crosses the blood-brain barrier and effectively increases central nervous system (CNS) synthesis of serotonin.

I'll keep researching!

Roseblossom

6. elliespad

elliespad Member

In order for L-Tryptophan to be converted into Seratonin in the BRAIN, you must have B-6 present. Aaaah, that makes all the difference :).