Amitriptolyne Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fudge43, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Are there other fibro people here that take amitriptolyne and do they think it is doing a good job ? or have switched to something else that works better ? .. I started out at 50mg at night about 3 years ago, and now I'm on 100 which is split to 50 at 7 PM and then 50 at 9PM to try and get relaxed to fall asleep .. I also take 1500mg of L-Tryptophan, a generic sleep aid called zopiclone up to 15mg now because it is losing it's affect since I have been on it so long .. I'm beginning to panic a bit because I can't usually sleep more than 2 hours at a time .. I think my thyroid problem reduces the metablisim of all my drugs some how and I still wake up with pain in any case .. is there anyone out there with a similar situation ?
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I have tried amitriptolyne, klonopin, neurontin and others before that to help me sleep and I have found nothing that works. In most cases they have the opposite effect on me and keep me awake.

We have strange sensitivities to meds and they dont always do the job they are supposed to.

I havent had a decent nights sleep in 20years, my doc says I would need to be hit over the head with a mallet to get a sleep (baseball bat thing).

Rosie
  3. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I take a combination of 100 mg. of amitriptolyne and 40 mg. of chloradiazapoxide (librium). Works for me most of the time. I still have 1 or 2 night a week that I don't sleep.

If I make any kind of change in my routine - such as go out to a meeting or even out to dinner - I don't sleep that night. I need at least 2 hrs. to "unwind".
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Glad to have any kind of information, so thank you guys ! That was an interesting point about the B6 .. I'll give that a try .. sometimes when I'm researching, the information overwhelms me .. but hearing your actual experiences helps a great deal, puts it in a better perspective !
    AND .. the "routine" being disrupted and really not being able to unwind is so true .. sad to say I go up to my bed around 5 or 6 PM .. not to sleep .. just for comfort from how badly I feel by then .. heating pad on lower back .. ice pack on neck ( Wal*Mart has wonderful gel packs I keep in the freezer ) .. the constant pain area is the back of my head and my neck and shoulders burning pain that just never stops .. the gel packs save my sanity .. I get up between 6 and 7 AM .. I don't nap during the day .. it just doesn't work ..
    In any case .. thanks again for the info ![This Message was Edited on 09/09/2005]
  5. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

That was the first drug that was prescribed for me when I was diagnosed with FM. I can't say it helped, but I can say I gained weight while taking it. The doctor failed to tell me the side effects!

I switched to a different medication, and I was able to get back to my normal weight, but as far as the sleep goes - still no good.

Kinsie
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Helped at first and then stopped...no more help...just some added weight and no results. Seems, according to the doctor I had then, that ithis is a common result. It starts out great, but loses effectiveness quickly.

I do hope you find an answer. I don't take anything i it's place and I play around with sleep aids; I can't ake any one too long or they stop working.

Best wishes for a good outcome.

Sue
  7. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I don't think amitriptoline is supposed to help with sleep. At higher dosages it's an antidepressent. I take a very low dosage - 10mg. before bed - for pain.

Does it work? I also take 50 mg of diclofenac in the morning and night. I'm still in pain. If necessary, I take an ultracet for breakthrough pain. But, a while ago I did try to go without the diclofenac when I read it, like Vioxx, Motrin, etc., can increase your chances of getting heart disease. Let me tell you THAT was no fun. I couldn't move at all! So I'm taking the diclofenac again.