Amitriptylene and Effexor together anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Oct 31, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I saw a new doctor today and she suggested a all a low dose of amitriptylene at night to help with sleep.

I tried the Elavil last year for about 3 nights and felt lousy so I didn't give it much of a chance.

As much as the effexor has helped my pain and anxiety, it has done nothing for this relentless insomnia.

I had a hard enough time just taking the effexor.

Anyone else on AD and Amitriptylen together, and how is it working.

Sue in Ontario
  2. tjlibby

tjlibby New Member

Sue
    I take effexor and amtripyline together with no problem
  3. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. I'm not as paranoid about medication since I had such luck with effexor.

If I could start sleeping.....ohhhh heaven.

Sue in Ontario
  4. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

Sue,

When I was on Effexor it really messed with my sleep! Even a sleeping pill (zopiclone) hardly helped! I hope that the combo of meds will work for you. The Amitriptalyine with probably help with some pain as well.

Raz
  6. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Bumping again.
  7. Achyten

Achyten New Member

I take effexor xr, 75 mgs in the morning,, cause it does bother with my sleep, as well I take trazadone, or desyrel another name for it, and it helps me to fall asleep within minutes,, sometimes I don't but very rarely, and when I have that problem I take loreazepam with it, and be can guaranteed a good sleep till 6 anyway. when I wake up, thats it for my sleep. I can't sleep in the day time,, never could, I wish I could sometimes.
    I don't have any problems with mixing the two together,, I was worried about that also.
    Have any of you ever tried desyrel? I find it to be an excellent sleep med,,, and not having to go on sleeping pills.
    The effexor helps me with the pain issue some. I don't know how that works, but I won't question what works,, lol. I thought I was the only one on two different anti depessants,, it feels good to hear I"m not.
    Oh, am I going to enjoy this group!!I hope to be able to help as much as I can.
    I have sympathy for all of you,,and care how you feel everyday.
    At least we don't have to say, if only you could walk a mile in my shoes, or be in my body, just for a day.

Soft warm Hugs, Achyten
  8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Thanks for your input and wishes.

Where in Canada are you, Achy? I know you are out west, Razzy, right?

I used to be so scared to take anything, but in April when I started the effexor found it did wonders for the pain and the anxiety attacks.

I take 150 mg effexor in the morning. Been taking it since April and have had no side effects after the first two weeks. I also take lorazepam sometimes 0.5 in the day and at night to help with sleep. It doesn't seem to help with the sleep anymore.

Last night was my first night with the amitriptylene and I slept not too bad, but had a hard time getting up. Fortunately I work at home so sleeping in is not an issue.

I don't know how people work with this awful DD.

Thanks again and welcome to the board.

Sue in Ontario
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2006]
  9. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Amitriptyline is the generic for Elavil, so if Elavil did not agree with you amitriptyline probably won't either. I'd tell your doctor about your experience with Elavil and ask about alternatives.
  10. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I am from Manitoba. What dosage of the Amitriptyline are you on?

I took my effexor in the morning as well. It didn't help me with anything, unfortunately.

I hope it all continues to work for you. I know effexor has been a big help for my hubby, tho he is still battling with his depression. It makes life real difficult for all of us.

Raz
  11. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I am only taking 10 mg of the amitriptylene. Very low dose.

Dr told me to give it 2 weeks - I have never been good with patience, but I'll try it. I asked her about the weight gain and she said it wouldn't be an issue in that small dose. We'll see. I've lost weight on the effexor.

Hope you are feeling better soon, and your husbands condition improves. Depression is a difficult battle.

Sue
  12. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

anybody?