amitriptyline 100mg- I THINK IS WAY TO MUCH

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aldejavu79, Feb 11, 2006.

1. aldejavu79

aldejavu79 New Member

Help please!!

My pcp prescribed me with 100mg of amitriptyline, and i don't know if i really need to take all of that. I was just diagnosised, and they are quite sure that it is fibromyalgia but are awaiting bloodwork for lyme disease. I sleep fine through the night, with my icey hot on me , and comfy bed, its just during the day that the pain drives me crazy, headaches, joint pain, and tired. Please help..

allison
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

That is getting near a depression treating dose, and is far higher than the subclinical dose used to treat pain and sleep disorder for FM. To start at that dose will surely knock you on your keester too. I only every used 20 mgs myself, and that was plenty to knock me out at night. Its an old tricyclic a.d. that is seldom used for depression anymore, usually only at micro doses for FM/CFS because lethargy and fatigue where major side effects at doses high enough to treat depression.

Docs usually start us on 10-20 mgs, because there is usually an adjustment period to get used to it where you wake up really groggy, even hungover sometimes for awhile. Then, if needed they up the dose to a maintenance one for pain and slee p relief.

Sounds like your doc doesn't know what they are doing.

jeanne
  3. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

100mgs???? Some drs just dont get the idea of starting low and going slow. I cant even imagine starting at 100 mgs.
    MAybe give Dr. a call to make sure?

4. JLH

JLH New Member

Elavil was the first drug they started me on for fibro.

I found out quickly how sensitive to it that I was. My doc gave me only 10 mg to start out with--he called it a baby dose! I took it a few hours before bedtime and I could not get up for work the next morning! I had to call off. I went back to sleep and couldn't get up until mid-afternoon!

I waited until the weekend to try it again, only this time, I cut it in half. The 5 mg was still too much!!! I ended up cutting the half-tablet in half and was taking 2-1/2 mg. and still droggy all day the following day.

When I told my doc that, he switched me to something else.

I think a 1000 mg might just put me to sleep FOREVER!!!!

5. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

wow. i am on 50mg and have spent about 4 yrs on it to get to 50.
    i started on just 5mg. amitriptyline for depression is usually about 75mg..is that what yours is for? if its for fm then its prescribed as a tryclic antid which means it works as a muscle relaxant not an anti d.
    if your not happy then either see another dr or just take a very small amount...ride it out on 10 mg.. when you next see him just let him know so he can change it on the cpu.
  6. last year i was taking amitripyline 100 mg.my doctor reduced my dose to just 50 mg just before christmas.and i could tell the difference straight away.
    100 mg was making me sleep for too many hours at night.i was going to bed at 8.30 pm and not waking up till 10 am the next day.this was far to many hours to be in bed i think,so as soon as i was getting up,id be in absolute agony as my muscles very very stiff from too much rest.
    im now on 50 mg.i take my pill at 5 pm,and im ready for bed anytime after 7.30 pm.im waking up at 5am the next morning and getting straight out of bed.it really is a bad thing to be in bed over 8 hours at any one time,because then as we try to move our limbs our muscles just cramp up with the pain from the stiffness.i know alot of people cant help being in bed for longer than eight hours because their fibro has made them bedridden,but im just talking about my own case,you know,what ive found helps me.

all the best
    xx fran
  7. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

100mg will probably turn you into a zombie! I have taken 10mg at night for years, but as someone said you can cut them in half if necessary. Can you see another doctor?
  8. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I took it for 10 years for my Fm. I always started out at 10 mg. The most I could take was 50 mg after time on it. It just makes a person so tired at first until your body gets used to it. That takes about a week. You don`t need that high a dose, the low dose usually works just great for pain. Good luck.

Sandy
  9. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I started on 10mg for about 8 months and they just upped me to 25. How do you take the 100's? One pill at night? Seems a bit odd but I realize I dont know your situation. Have you tried it yet? Please keep us updated!!

Lindsey

oh by the way, dont tell anyone but sometimes doctors make mistakes shhhhhh.....lol
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I was started on 25mg and that was too much for me so I stopped.

100mg yes, I would say way too much.

love
    Rosie
  11. aldejavu79

aldejavu79 New Member

Thank you all for your words of advice ...my doctor prescribed amitriptyline to help me sleep through the night, but i had a gut feeling that it wasn't right. So my bf and i called his pharamacist dad, whom said no way do not take 100mg, that is for someone whom is way depressed....obviously my pcp didn't have a clue what she was doing...and i always listen to my gut feeling!! Thank you all!!

Allison