Amitriptyline alert

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teller7, Jun 9, 2003.

1. teller7

teller7 New Member

Anyone in here use amitriptyline? This is what happened to me. The doctor took me off zoloft. Told me to take one 10mg of amitriptyline for one week, second week, two, third week three, and fourth week four. Well, the third week after taking three a night for four days, I was awful. My eyes wouldn't focus, I could hardly walk, and generally felt ill. I called him and he told me to stop them and drink lots of water to flush it out of my system. He said that three was a small dose and he couldn't understand why that happened. Who knows with us. Right?
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

I think you were taking too much by the third week!!
    I've been on this drug for a couple years now,I started at 10mgs and stayed at that for close to a year.Then I went up to 25mgs but even that was too strong for me and I felt like total crap-ola!!So now i'm back down to the 10mgs and I take a 10mg flexeril with it~(works great for me!!flexeril is a muscle relaxer)Hope this helps....I'd go back down to 2??just a thought~
    :) Regards,
    Tracey
  3. Member

Member New Member

Hi - teller7 - I just finished reading your message and I have taken amitryptilene for many years. How many miligrams were you taking in each pill? Member Pat
  4. aching

aching New Member

Hi Teller, I also think you are taking to much, too quickly. I have a friend who takes 100mg at night but has been taking it for 20 years. I just started a few months ago and find 10mg. too much for me. I have to bite one in half.5mg. If I take 10mg. I find I have more psycogenic sp? dreams and paralysis when I try to wake up. I am also drowsy during the day, but hey, at least I'm sleeping.
    Piper
  5. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

The doctor didn't know what he was doing. He took you up too fast!!!!!

CFS and FMS sufferers are sensitive to meds as it is

GP's and internists are not familiar enough with antidepressants and dosage

It is best to see a psychiatrist to administer anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds
  6. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

Your dose seems too high to me.My doctor put me on Amitriptyline (10mg) daily last Friday to help with sleep. She said the usual dose for depression is about 50mg, since I would be taking it for my CFS, 10mg daily would be enough.
    When I took it on Friday, I could not keep my eyes open, I just felt so drowsy and had ver dry mouth. I cant say I had good sleep either. Since that day I have cut the tablet in half so am taking 5mg only. I will probably increase it to full tablet next week.
    In the past when I have taken the anti-depressants(Prozac, Nortriptyline, Citalopram), I did not have good experience. Prozac gave me nightmares. Nortryptyline and Citalopram made me feel so drowsy during the day. They seemed to have a cumulitive effect. I just felt like a zombie.When I reduced the dose, they did not help at night. I always stopped taking them after 3 weeks. My doctor thinks I have not given them a chance to work before, so I have agreed to try again. Personally I love my Zolpidem, but she thinks sleeping tablets are addictive and will not prescribe them.
    Hope you feel better soon

Satin
  7. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

I took it one time..That was enough for me to never ever put it back in my body again!!!I almost fell backwards going up stairs at work..NOT GOOD..That was on 1/2 of .25 MG..LOL Shows you how sensitive I am..
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

I wanted to see what others had to say also.I think you'd do fine at 10mgs a night.I have'nt increased mine in a very long time.Your dr just had you taking too much for starters~
    Hope you work things out!
    Hugs,
    Tracey
  9. ginger0206

ginger0206 New Member

I was on amitriptyline for almost 8 months, then it sent my blood pressure through the roof and my heart rate to 190's at rest. I agree with the other responses to your message. I think that was too much of an increase and in too short of a time. You were probably amitriptyline toxic. This med helped my pain, my heart just couldn't tolerate it.

Hang in there.

Ginger
  10. teller7

teller7 New Member

Thanks alot for the info everybody. I probably will try one a night (10mg). But, I'm going to wait a week or so before doing it. I feel bad enough as it is without being more dizzy, tired,and confused. When I couldn't even get my eyes to focus, I knew something was wrong. It was NOT fun.
    Carol
  11. jka

jka New Member

i took amitriptyline and in 2 months put on 50 pounds. doc said he never saw anyone react to it like that.it made all my symtoms go away. but i also forgot to pay the bills one month and walked around in a daze.i was only taking 25 mg.then i went through some awful withdrawals.

kathy c
  12. ocean1

ocean1 New Member

Your doctor took you up way too fast. I don't know your particulars. I am very new here this is my first post.

Your doctor should have had you on for at least two weeks before he increased your dose by 10 mg. Women especially should be taken up slowly. My doc told me to only increase after two weeks and wait three if I felt like I needed more time. You may want to consider talking to your doc about your symptoms and discuss a slower pace. I have gotten my life back because of elavil. Best of luck to you!!

13. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Friend of mine was taking Amitriptyline, so I asked the doctor for it for sleep. I took one fourth of a 10mg. at night, I did sleep, but by the time I was able to function again it was time to go back to bed the next night!

I was two shades short of a coma for over twenty hours. My husband said he never saw me so quiet in all the years we were married.

I stopped at a fourth, gave the rest to my friend, and have never taken them again.

I am with Lelehpr with this one. Never again. Went back to my one a day Xanax.

Some drugs are just not for everyone, that one was definitely not for me.

I do not like anything that messes with what mind I have left....................

Shalom, Shirl

14. dsames

dsames New Member

I too have been on Elavil for some time, 10 mg at first, then my body became accustomed to it, and it was no longer very effective, my doc increased the doseage to 20 mg. I did sleep well, however, it was about that time that I decided to go on a diet for wgt loss, (elavil does cause wgt increase). I asked him (dr.) if we could try another med that would give me the needed sleep but not the wgt increase. He was resistant to that and told me to "play with my meds" and see if I could do without it. He did not tell me I should taper off it.

I need to say I had a very difficult time for about 5 days, I no longer take it. Right now I am taking 1 calcium pill, 2 magnesium pills and one benadyrl for sleep. So far doing pretty well on it.

PS. And I did lose 4# with d/c Elavil, and the help of Atkins . Yahoo....
    Love Shirley
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Swear by Elavil, but "Worst Pills Best Pills" says not to use it as it has more side effects than any of the other tricyclic (sp?) antidepressants. When I took it, it left me groggy and hung over and did nothing to bring on quality sleep, which is what it is supposed to do.

I do find the Klonopin to be much better for me, although it is an entirely different type of med.

Love, Mikie
  16. Shelle16

Shelle16 New Member

Hey Teller,
    I take 100 mg of amitripyline a night and the only side effect I have is a very dry mouth. I took 75mg for over a year and he now has increased it to 100 mg.As for the weight gain I have lost 45 pounds since Jan. with the help of weight watchers.This is the only thing I take on a daily basis. Sometimes I will take Zanaflex or Darvocet but try not to take so much I also have a inhaler for migraines.I live on Aleve but my doc says that they will cause migraines eventually. So I guess everyone is effected differently. I used to take Topomax but Doc took me off because long-term use will cause liver damage.

hope this helps
    Shelle
  17. dsames

dsames New Member

I also think it caused me to have nightmares, never thought of that being a sideeffect while I was taking it, I would have two or three nightmares a week, which really interupts the sleep.

Since I have been off it, I have not had any nightmares, coincidental, maybe.

I would love to use xanax, but my dr. is very stingy with it.
    Shirley
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm glad the Elavil is helping you. One thing, though, Aleve can be very hard on the liver too.

Love, Mikie
  19. clueless

clueless New Member

I don`t know what is wrong with these doctors!!!! They should tell a patient that they have to taper off of that drug. I had taken it for quite some time ( hated the constant dry mouth ) then my glands swelled up. They could`nt find any other reason that caused it so assumed it was the elavil.The doctor told me to stop it and gave me another drug to take. WELL, it affected my liver by not tapering off and I was one sick person for three weeks. Everyone in the Medical Center was aware of it and watched every time I came in. I was very lucky that my liver apparently straightened out as it checks out alright now. We have to watch these doctors + check out the meicine they give us.Thank goodness for the internet + this site!!!! Clueless
  20. Myth

Myth New Member

I was on 10 mg. It did not work for what it was supposed to do and made me feel like a fuzy walking zombie all day. It also made me feel as wierd when I was trying to sleep (body twitches, wierd sensations and other odd stuff that freaked me out.) My doc said that since it was not working he wanted to Increase my dose, I said thank you but no.