Amitriptyline causing insomnia? Any advice?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EDM11, Mar 4, 2007.

1. EDM11

EDM11 New Member

Hi all,
    I have FMS and have been struggling with insomnia for about 7 years now. I previously took Trazadonde every night for about 3-4 years and it worked well for me, but now the effects seem to be wearing off and my insomnia has returned. My PCP put me on Amitriptyline instead, to help with the sleeplessness and the pain, however I have taken it for a couple of nights now and have found that my insomnia is 10 times worse! Has anyone else had this problem? Last night, I layed in bed until 5am with horrible muscle twitches and my heart was racing. I'm very frustrated (and so exhausted!!).

Can anyone recommend a better medication option? I'd like to call my PCP today and ask for something else..

Thanks so much.
  2. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Neurontin before bed
    Xanaflex before bed
    Despiramine
    Gabitril
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Ed11.

I found that Trazodone worked for a while, but it did not last long.

After a few trials with doc, we found what see what seems to work for me.

I take Restoril and Elavil together but add in Benadryl and some Motrin.

Good luck in your search!

nyrofan
  4. Charleen

Charleen New Member

I had a doc put me on amitriptline within a few days I had developed palsy and was starting to go blind. I have a lot of problems with SSRI's I have took Trazadone for a long time sorry it doesn't help you any more. Please tell your doctor maybe he can help you find something else.
    Charleen
  5. clerty

clerty New Member

O god yes I had so many problems with these tablets It made my heart race and god they made me worse.I would go back to you Go and talk to them about going on other tablets I am on SSRIs at the moment and I feel at least the depression has lifted a bit But I still feeling like crap.