amitriptyline? does it work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cred, Dec 3, 2005.

1. cred

cred New Member

have any of you taken this? I was given a very low dose to take, just started it yesterday? What is your success or failure with this?
  2. Charleen

Charleen New Member

I took Amitriptyline once and it made my hands shake and I had real bad blured vision. I was working at a bank and I know they thought I took somthing illegal. They let me go home and I went to the doctor and he took me off and would not let me good to work for several days

I have heard it works great for some people but it didn't work for me but am allergic to quit a lot of medicine.
    Good Luck
    Charleen
  3. peachbunnee

peachbunnee New Member

Can't speak for myself personally, but my mom has fibro, sleep problems, migraines, etc and it's helped her. It hasn't made her symptoms go away, but it HAS helped.

peachbunnee
  4. chickabee

chickabee New Member

I was put on amitryptyline many years ago. The dr.put me on 25 mg. at bedtime. I had severe muscle spasms in my neck that kept me waking up a lot , she said it would help me get back to sleep better and also raise my pain tolerance level. I didn't have fm then. But it did help me get back to sleep better . My pain tolerance level is pretty high, don't know for sure if the amitryptyline had anythign to do with it, but it sure isn't high enough to get rid of this new pain. I am learning more every day about it though thanks to all of you very great people here. :) Nanc
  5. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

I took 25mg Amitriptyline for about 5 weeks. The first thing it worked with was the irritable bladder problem and getting up constantly at night to go. I started sleeping better in the last week at night. During the day I was still tired and it wired me up and caused me to have a constant racing heart rate which I couldn't tolerate. Anytime I layed down to rest in the daytime when I was exhausted, my heart would race so fast I couldn't even close my eyes. After an hour I might fall asleep and then I'd startle awake after 10 minutes with my heart racing again. I couldn't tolerate this side effect so I stopped it.

The racing heart rate started within the first week, but my doctor wanted me to give it a chance to see if my body would adjust to it and maybe go away so I gave it to my next appt. I had tried Nortriptyline prior for about a week and it was even worse.
  6. rumors

rumors New Member

The PDR can say it is not addictive, it doesn't work, but I can't get off it.

WELL, anyone know me? I am the person who went to get off all meds. Now I take 5 types a day. Talk about a hospital not knowing why I was there. A real screw up.
    I lost all my money, teeth, etc. They back peddled.
    nothing else to say....I was doing ok, until I went to a hospital for over 1 year....lost my life..........

So, I read, for my eyes are going..someday I'll sell eveyhing and disappaear into the St. Thomas, Virgin Island
    but will need a wi fi only........excuse the spelling

the hospital injured me so much...right doc?
  7. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I just started it for my bladder problems. I think it is helping that along with getting me to sleep. I only take 1/2 of 25 mg at bedtime.
  8. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

this was the thing that finally allowed me to get to sleep, and stay asleep after trying many, many things.
    I take 100mg as a mix with 40 mg of librium. Most nights I sleep like a baby, but there are still the occasional nights when I just can't seek to wind down.
  9. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Yes .. it works for me .. I take 100 mgs at night .. but it works during the daytime hours .. such as the bladder control issue .. it has made it a lot better for me .. plus the tingling in the feet .. I think over all it has really helped .. it was the first medication directly aimed at the fibro my GP put me on .. the dose is larger now .. but that is the way things usually go due to the resistance from the body getting used to it.
    Not everyone will say it works for them .. as in all meds .. we are all so different .. but if you don't try something .. how will you know !
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )
  10. cred

cred New Member

thanks to you all, I am trying 50 mg the first night slept great except I slept 14 hours. last night i took 25 mg and slept great and am not sleepy today like yesterday! so maybe this is the key for me. Thank you all for telling me your stories!
  11. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

It works the best for me when I take it with Neurontin in the evening. It helps the pain calm down and helps with sleep. It is an older anti-depressant and has the side effect of making your heart rate faster, but I don't notice that, like we say, we all are different when it comes to meds! Good luck....
  12. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

For me it is a miracle...I started at 25mg and worked my way up to 75 mgs and my rheumy said I could go up to 100mg if necassary. I sleep through the night almost every night...and I have no side effects that I can tell. I started about 2 1/2 months ago.

Nancy
  13. halfpint49

halfpint49 New Member

i have been on many types of triptlines, my problem is it takes so long to work. even the ones they say take in bed cuse they work so fast don't for me. i took what you took and it took 4-6 hours for it to hit enough to relax me. i am not taking lunesta 3mg. so far it works very well. and believ me i am enjoying it while it does.
  14. dizzidally

dizzidally New Member

Hi there,
    I had been taking amitriptyline 10mg at night for about 2 months until last week. I had tried to up the dose to 20mg by the advise of my doctor, which I tried but I could hardly wake up the following day, which is no good when you have a family to care for. It certainly helped with the irritable bladder also. I've been off it for 5 days now and I'm constantly in the bathroom again. It definitely helped with sleeping, (10-12hrs a night)which in turn helped to an extent with some of the pain. Over the last few days since stopping I've been lucky to get four hours sleep and the aching has come back with avengence, making getting to sleep nearly impossible. I stopped taking it because my doctor wants me to try Eflexor, which I start taking tonight. I haven't had any severe withdrawal symptoms coming off Amitriptyline, just the return of the pain etc. I put a post out here last week to ask everyone the effects of Eflexor and I am abit dubious about starting it because of other peoples side effects and the difficulties when they stopped taking it.
    As for the Amitriptyline, nothing too bad, just took a week or so to get use to it.
    Hope its ok for you too.
    Kate
  15. nleer

nleer Member

I had taken amytriptyline years ago and I gained alot of weight on it. It is a derivative of flexeril too. Both had made me gain weight and I was depressed about the weight.

There are other antidepressants that can help and not have those side effects.

It may not make you gain weight. I was on weight watchers and could only lose 1/4 lb a week. When I changed to another antidepressant I lost 25 lbs.

Hope you have better luck with the meds.

Best wishes,

nleer
  16. dbhughes

dbhughes New Member

It works, Ihave been taking 150gm at night for 14 years I also take a sleeping tablet
    Zopiclone 75mg as well, I also take 10mg Amitriptyline 3 times a day plus Distalagic, So all in all I am on heavy meds, The amitriptyline is the most effective, Start low and increase in low doses, Do not stop it, if you start it and the dose is increased you must decrease slowly
    Love Delphine
  17. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I take 25 mg at bedtime with an Ambien and a Mirapex..It seems to work pretty good for me. The best combination I have had since I have had this DD.
    Jpach